Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39747 Tue Jun 17 2008 04:53 AM
-
OP Offline
-
Hey everyone,

My name is JiM and this is my first post. I'm interested in purchasing my first pump and would like to know what advice any of you could give a newbie like myself on where would be the best place to purchase one and also what books, websites, etc. would be good for learning about the different models, makes, values, oil companies of the day, etc..

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

JiM
Bakersfield, Ca

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#39748 Tue Jun 17 2008 05:47 AM
Welcome to OLDGAS.

For websites on learning about pumps and history, there is not a better one than this one. There is lots of information under the showcase section with lots of pictures. Spend some time there. As far as books, there is an new gas pump price guide second edition that is due to come out any time now, the author is Jack Sim, he is a member of this fourm and posts regularly.

Finding a pump for purchase should not be a problem. There are many collectors and dealers in your area. Buy what you like, not what somebody else thinks is cool.

If you have any questions feel free to emiail me, click on the little letter icon above my post.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#39749 Tue Jun 17 2008 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME, JIM. THERE'S ALOT OF COLLECTORS ON YOUR SIDE ...THE LEFT SIDE THAT WILL MOST LIKELY CHIME IN HERE. A FOR BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT OR ANY PETRO MATTER, JUST CLICK ON THE "BOOKSTORE" LINK ABOVE. IF YOU DECIDE TO BUY THE JACK SIM GAS PUMP BIBLE, I'D SUGGEST WAITING FOR THE NEWER VERSION DUE OUT SOON....A MONTH MAYBE?

ALL THE BEST!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#39750 Tue Jun 17 2008 07:21 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Nice to meet you, Jim!

PCM's GUIDE TO GAS PUMP RESTORATION by Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin might be a good book for you. Also, Jack Sim, from this site, just revised a book about gas pump identification. Lotsa good pics.

If I may suggest, try to find a pump in California so you can save shipping costs. Hold out for a complete one that has good sheetmetal without cancerous rust and you will thank yourself 100 times!! A Wayne 70, Tall Tokheim 39, Gilbarco 96, a Bennett 541 or other late 30s electric pump might be a good starter pump.

Most off all, have a good time doing this!!

Dave Folck =:>0

#39751 Tue Jun 17 2008 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS
I've got a few For Sale, need gas for Iowa Gas.
db

#39752 Tue Jun 17 2008 07:37 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My new book will be out by the end of the this month, not next month. Over 1900 gas pumps illustrated.
For more information go to: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#39753 Tue Jun 17 2008 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard Jim.
Also let everyone you know that you are on the lookout for an old gas pump. You never know but someone just might have one, or knows someone, that has one and needs it hauled away. Before you realize it, there will be 3 pumps sitting on your property. Good luck,
Mike

#39754 Tue Jun 17 2008 03:57 PM
-
OP Offline
-
Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I plan on buying the new book by Jack....looks like it's going to br a great book and should help me out alot!

Alittle about me:

I'm 32, live in Bakersfield, Ca and actually work on the Elk Hills petroleum reserve. I'm a Power plant operator for an Energy company out here. We prodice electricity and also use waste heat to make steam for "enhanced oil recovery". Naturally, being in this busness, I've alway been interested in oil company collectables etc. but it doesn't end there. I'm actually into anything from the 30's, 40's, 50's era. I'm into classic chevy's and have a 57' belair hardtop. So I'm basically into it all from the 30's to 50's era..

I'm a novice collector and would like to eventually purchase one or maybe gas pumps to display in my house or shop (if I ever have one LOL!) although I can see how this might get addicting!! LOL

I will start by searching though this site and buying that book from Jack so I'm sure I will have alot more question to ask. Thanks agaian for all your comments!!

JiM

#39755 Tue Jun 17 2008 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Over the years most guys owne and sell several pumps till they get the one (or 6) they are most happy with.
It's kinda like boiled peanuts,the more you eat the more you want. I have owned maybe 200+ pumps over the years,I have restored about 15-20, I only have two that I plan on keeping. Gas pumps come in all price ranges, body styles, and reasons.
This one is the first I ever used @ 6/7 yrs old to fill my grandfathers tractor. Not worth much on the market, but I would NEVER sell it.

A fine quality restoration, even if you do it yourself WILL get costly. I did this one myself except spraying it and still have about $300.00 in it and the pump was free.
I seriously doubt the pump is even worth half that, but to me it's priceless.
Just buy and enjoy what makes you happiest. Don't settle for less!!!
I have always liked Bennett 700 series pumps the most, I guess because Sinclair used a lot of them and memories of getting fresh warm dinosaurs from the machine come back when I see one.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmdinosaurs.
27yrs for me and I am NOT ADDICTED, I can stop at any time , I just don't want to stop.LOL
Have fun!!!

[This message has been edited by jkyocom (edited 06-17-2008).]

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#39756 Tue Jun 17 2008 08:59 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Welcome From Oklahoma, Jim, What no one has said yet to you is, this hobby or disease you are about to get does not stop at just one, it is like lays chips no one has just one, I have 11 of them now, just wanted to warn you, no one can just has one. We all think just one but somehow they multiply over night. Glad to help you if you come to Okla.

Cash & Cathy

#39757 Tue Jun 17 2008 10:01 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have one pump and another incomplete one that I received 20 years ago for free. My other collections have a wide variety of stuff, but since there are few pumps left in my area, I have not gotten any others. Spending hundreds of dollars for some rusted out pump is something I cannot afford. While collecting is addictive, chasing an ever-decreasing stock is not something I can do. Only if I find a super-hot deal would I take on another pump, and only if the guts are intact. Those empty shells do not seem right to me.

I will leave the pricey pumps to you guys who can afford it, you do such a great job of saving history!

[This message has been edited by tallrick (edited 06-18-2008).]

[This message has been edited by tallrick (edited 06-18-2008).]

Antique? It's new to me.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved