Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397796 Thu Feb 28 2013 08:17 AM
E
OP Offline
E
So today I was having coffee at our local inn. My house is directly across the street from what used to be a very old Richfield gas station. So I got to discussing the old station and this little old man turns to me and says that my old station, he is 90 years old. So after about 2 hours of talking and hearing the greatest petroliana stories I have ever hears he says. "I haven't been in that building in 30 years, let me show it to you" He unlocks the door and there is, everything was sitting as if he just served a customer, untouched things still in their boxes. I saw this Sunoco bottle on a shelf and commented on it, he said "ahh that's nothing" long story short as we wrapped up and I was walking down the driveway he yells "Hey take this with you, you have the fire in your eyes for this stuff" I was speechless.The spout is marked May 1937 the month I was born, it was meant to be!

dscn1986u.jpg dscn1987o.jpg dscn1988n.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story, an addition to your collection and a new friendship...sounds like a great day!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent story and find. God works in mysterious ways sometimes. Thanks for sharing.
Mike

E
OP Offline
E
I have always wanted one of theses bottles and they have always seemed to elude me, I have always offered top dollar for them but always missed out. To have this one for free right out of an old station makes it priceless.

LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
thats awesome

-Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thats what its all about. I try to chat as many people up about my collecting as possible. You never know when and where the good stuff will pop up. Congrates on the find. Did he have other cool stuff?

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
E
OP Offline
E
he had tons of great stuff, 100's and 100's of unopened motor oil cans, delco remy parts still in their shipping boxes unopened,everything you could think of, he said he closed the door one day to go in to eat dinner and that night he decided to call it a day and never went back in. He called me today and said it would be nice if I could come over in 2 weeks and load the stuff on my truck before he has no one to give it to....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's awesome that he wants to give the stuff to you. Most people like that can never let go and it all gets lost when theyre gone. I always thought that I would get more enjoyment out of seeing someone enjoy it than setting on it until I die. When I first started collecting petro, a very nice old man sold me a whole truck load of stuff for next to nothing, saying the whole time that he wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it since he couldn't do it anymore. I'll never forget his genuine concern for his stash. i really had no idea what he had given me until i got home and started unpacking boxes. It's great to know that there are good people out there like that.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good for you. Congrats on your new friend.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great story and yes, sounds like a very nice man!
I assume the Richfield pumps and signage are long gone?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
E
OP Offline
E
he still has 4 Richfield pumps inside the garage and 2 Atlantic signs. He also has signs and advertising that says Atlantic is Arco

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
And a richfield mother load surfaces. Good job brother. The fact that a oldtimer would turn over his stuff to you speaks volumes about you. He wouldnt have just given it all to anyone. You obviously handled yourself right. Gaining access to an old forgotten goldmine is not an easy thing to do. Nice job glad that some more of the good stuff was saved from oblivion.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great story Braden smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
GREAT story. Thanks for sharing it!
The "stuff" is the smallest part of it. A great human experience both of you had!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved