Next Thread
Print Thread
#399131 Wed Mar 06 2013 08:20 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Can someone furnish a photo of a proper color scheme & signage for a 1938 Gulf pump? I'm restoring a Gilbarco 96 for a person that wants accurate Gulf scheme. Thanks, Sam

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...no signs - decals...

...of course, without knowing what grade of Gulf gas you're trying to depict...?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I'm open to any suggestions. Would prefer to use the regular orange "Gulf" globe on top. Thanks, Sam

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I guess I got this topic in the wrong forum, but while we're here, Gulfiend are you saying that no signs were used on the doors in 1938? That would really make an accurate restoration look pretty plain, wouldn't it? My pump was made from 1938 to 1940. Would 1940 offer any better signage or more attractive colors? Sam

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not really Sam. Doing a "Correct " restoration involves using ALL THE RIGHT PERIOD PIECES . Anything else is Fantasy ........... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...only the 'Contains Lead' signs...with the exception of one sign used during the late 1920's-early 1930's, Gulf did not actually use pump signs until the early 1950's...the image would not have changed during the 1938-1940 timeframe...

...Sam, 'pretty plain' is in the eye of the beholder...do it correctly, and your customer can take pride that the pump is truly restored to how it would have appeared in front of a Gulf station...

...call me biased, but I like Gulf's image standards (and Gulf was pretty strict about their image standards)...I would never spend the time and money on a restoration that wasn't as accurate as I could make it...I'm never impressed with a fantasy restoration, no matter how good the paint job is...

...again I ask: to what grade of Gulf gasoline are you restoring the pump? If you did an accurate No-Nox pump, you'd have a three color paint job and No-Nox Knockproof Ethyl decals...the correct color scheme is pictured in the Gas Pump Restoration book...Jack Sim's books show a color photo of a twin Bennett Gulf pump with the same image standards as your pump (although the date shown for the photo is incorrect, and it shows a pump sign instead of the decal)...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Mar 06 2013 04:05 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks everyone for the advice. Customer hasn't decided what he wants the pump logo to be. The NoNox scheme looks to be a nice one. I'll try this on him! Thanks, Sam

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Just a quick tip bud, I restored a Tokheim 850 clockface in Gulf and in order for us to really achieve a nice bright colored orange, we mixed some Kubota tractor orange in with the color I picked out. The results were phenominal and my customer loved it. That's your call though, sometimes you have to try different things to get the color to really snap and look bright. Best of luck.
Kind Regards,

Goober smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved