Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397063 Sun Feb 24 2013 06:43 PM
OP Offline
Just bought a tokheim 39 lra missing doors and 2 of the 4 hinges are broke. What would be the correct doors and are they available. There is another stamped number on the tag reads 10-49, I'm assuming oct of 49. I have seen tokheim pumps for years 47 to 52 that look just like mine but the doors have miner differences. The door areas measure approx. 52 1/2 tall be 17 1/2 wide.
Thanks Tony

20130216_152251a.jpg 20130224_173454a.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ok youve got your self a tokhiem 39L-ra. Manufactured 47-59. There are a bunch of differnt tok 39's that fit into short catgory. Like 12 or so. As to the differnt doors i cant help you there. There shaped all the same i think so any 39 door would fit it.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Tony, there are several different doors for a short pump. There is a small window and large window. Yours will take a large window. Next there are hinged doors and doors that lock on the bottom. If yours takes the slide on doors that lock on the bottom, there may be a plate on the middle of the base for the doors to lock to. If not feel inside the side skins for a pin the hinges slip down on. If you have that then you doors are the hinged kind. The doors are different in that there is a front and back depending on where your hinges are. Don't buy two front doors. Next there is add glass in some of the doors just bellow the window. This is an option but does not make any difference in fit. Hope this helps Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Richard and he has steered you in the right direction. At least, he`s not looking at pictures in a book and answering questions that are beyond the scope of his experience and expertise.

Your pump had the hinged doors. I can see the release levers and the latching hardware on the base.

Tokheim 39`s are a great first pump...lots of reproduction and original parts readily available.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
OP Offline
Thanks for the quick responses. Ok so I'm looking for a set of doors with NO key hole at bottom with tall glass and hinge side specific.
Can someone add a pic of the back side of a door? I have seen several pumps but no pics of the inside.
Here are 2 that I like. Are doors like these readily available?

tok39texaco1948.jpg tok792shell.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The are plenty of pictures of the different 39s on my website:

www.petrocollect.com

Just go to the literature section.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These were Sold a couple years ago, but you asked for inside pic's.

39L Tok 2 Doors.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
What you need to supply is the Model Number of your pump, it is the 39 LRA.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
OP Offline
I am very new to the gas pump who, what where, when and how. So not sure about the ? above. But thanks for everyone's reply's.
So what would this pump be worth in current condition..
I spent the better part of a day inspecting the pumps condition.
The entire exterior is in really good condition, no dings or dents, stainless just needs polishing. The pump was found stored inside. Exterior parts needed:
doors (like the ones on the shell pump above)
glass
handle
hose
cable and ball
globe
Interior parts needed:
face 1 side
1 glass bowl
2 hinges
4 hinge extension (the little piece that connects to the door)
So what is the pump worth as is and restored.
Not sure about gas pumps, but in the cars I've restored, it would have been less expensive to buy completed.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Yes, pumps are like cars in how fast missing parts add up. The Tok 39 is a very common and reasonably priced pump, so parts are readily available. Take a look at Vic's 66 and Gaspump Heaven as an example of what is reproduced. You can also post in the Wanted section of oldgas and I am sure you will get several responses. Good luck.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with flat land, you are better off finding a complete pump than try to find all the parts you need. That said I hope we have not discoraged you from working on a gas pump. I used to work on cars but have switch to gas pumps because you get an end result quicker than a car. Your pump is worth 150-200 in my area. Richard

OP Offline
Well went out today to clean up pump to take to the local swap meet. If it does not sale I think I will just keep and restore it. Notice while blowing out mice nest, I removed the top plate where the globe would mount, then I removed a center piece that appeared to be a bell then removed a small metal cap. Under the cap was a new never used light socket. The porcelin was new and the copper inside was untouched. But unfortunatly when I plugged it in none of the lights would work, just needs new wiring.
Well thanks again for all of the replies.

Tony

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Don't ask for value in this section, ask for advice, instructions, etc. Once we see someone asking for values, we think "Pickers" who don't want to do any research.

Tokheim 39s are so common I once put two 39 in my shed and six months later there were three out there.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Mar 07 2013 11:08 PM.

OP Offline
Thanks Jack. Not sure if they are common in my area I have done several searches for doors and unable to fine any listed. I can find the accessory pieces but not any doors. I am trying to get an idea of the cost to restore. Not saying it's easy but I can take it apart send the panels to paint guy then it looks as if I can buy the missing items and just bolt back together and rewire the lights. I think I could add a fuel pump to the sight glass and trigger it to come on when the handle is lifted or does someone already make one. I have seen some pump on youtube that appear to work but don't show the details on how it's done.I believe I can do it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved