Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399929 Sat Mar 09 2013 09:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am sure this has been covered before, I did a bit of searching on the site but could not find anything regarding the best way to clean a porcelain sign.
I do not want to paint or fix these signs currently, just want to clean rust spots, stains etc and add some luster.
I may do some paint touch up in the future on some.

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a link that was posted a bit ago. Has some methods and discussion on cleaning.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=61150&Number=383170#Post383170

I use bar keepers friend and some car wax

Hope that helps

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Dan,

I checked the link.
I will see if they have that product available here and try it.

B

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
forget the paint touchup--tacky in my opinion

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: marinerone
I am sure this has been covered before, I did a bit of searching on the site but could not find anything regarding the best way to clean a porcelain sign.
I do not want to paint or fix these signs currently, just want to clean rust spots, stains etc and add some luster.
I may do some paint touch up in the future on some.

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B

there your signs- do what makes you happy.. cool

Last edited by advertologist; Sat Mar 09 2013 12:44 PM.

RANDY
Online Cool
On the bottom right of this page is a Google search form. It already has the selection marked to search only within Oldgas.com. Just type in the two words:

clean porcelain

And click the "Search" button. You'll finds lots of advice in old posts on this forum.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #400045 Sat Mar 09 2013 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO touch up doesnt hurt them one bit. It is easily reversible with little effort. I touch some of mine up just because i am displaying them and want them to look better. But it is up to you. Your signs.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I notice a number of people recommending Bar Keepers Friend. A great product for your white sink or bathtub but be very cautious with your signs. It was indeed designed to clean porcelain but contains oxalic acid which, at least in my experience on one occasion, the only time I used it, can fade a color. Coincidentally it was a '39 Union Women's Room sign where I let it sit too long and permanently faded portions of the blue.
I'd be more in favor of the suggestion to use paint rubbing compound such as Dupont #7 in the green can. Have had great success removing rust and paint as well as polishing the porcelain for over 25 years. Goes on pasty, allow to dry, then gently buff off. Do be careful about vigorous, heavy-handed buffing once dry as it could scratch.....not an issue while wet. Use a soft toothbrush to remove residue around grommets or places where the porcelain has chipped. One other word of caution....avoid using the product on grommets if you prefer to allow the patina to remain as it will shine them up like new...it all depends on your preference.

Last edited by OK Used Cars; Sat Mar 09 2013 03:17 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Couldn't find the Bar Keepers Friend......Just tried some "CLR" and it worked like a hot Damm...wax next.
I acquired a sign that already had some touch-up so I figure that could use the paint touch-up but maybe I will just remove that paint and it can be a survivor as well.
All my other signs are staying with the origianl as is look.

Thanks for the comments.

B

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Jim, did the search on the site as recommended, great information.
thanks,
B

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved