Next Thread
Print Thread
#400100 Sat Mar 09 2013 05:47 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Okay guys, I have got a quick question. Are full cans or oilers considered to be more 'valuable' to collectors? Does it just depend on what each collector prefers? We're selling oilers and cans that are full, but shipping them out via FedEx or UPS is killing us. People are really complaining about the shipping fees, but it's costing us a minimum of $17, plus the box, plus the trip to get it shipped. I don't know if it's worth it to keep selling them full, or if we should just empty them and go that route. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
IMO, people want them empty because they will leak, and sometimes get oil stains. I would empty them, it will help you sell them.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
give the buyer a choice, cheaper postage with empty cans.. cool

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I want mine with the oil in them .
it just depends on the person

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ask the buyer what`s he wants..I ship a lot of cans and I always ask them if they want it empty or full..goes either way with some buyers,,if they want them full then they will pay the extra fees.now with the higher shipping fees it would make sence to ship empty..most of the time with the higher priority fees sometimes parcel is close to the same price..I just give the buyer the option.I like to ship empty because of leakage etc,you just don`t know how the package is handled along the way,so I pack extra good to cover the chance of handlers useing it as a football..
Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
That helps! It seems like some are fine with paying for the full stuff, but we'll start offering a choice for those that don't want it full. I appreciate the input! Thank you!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use a medium flat rate box from the USPS and you can ship for $12.35 anyplace in the USA and the boxes are free. You can even get more than one can in a box.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #400179 Sun Mar 10 2013 04:25 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
If it's some rare unopened piece or even a NOS piece, then I say the oil should stay. In all other cases I like it gone. I've even emptied cans after recieving them. I definately prefer them empty for display.
But like others have said, give the buyer the option and have them pay the difference.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with the others on giving the buyer the option of full or empty. Texaco Joe and I had a long discusion about that a few years ago when I was visiting him. Full cans if they fall, or something like that happens, can turn a valuable can into junk in a big hurry,(that's when D.B. comes into the picture),if they are empty, they just bounce around and mostly make noise. Really, the condition,brand,and the graphics of the can is what gives it the value in my opinion, the oil inside isn't really worth much. I've fixed a few cans that I got for a deal because they were full and dropped and turned out pretty nice. After talking with Joe, and seeing his collection many times, all my cans are now empty.
Ken.

KL Bird #400229 Sun Mar 10 2013 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally I've owned/do own oilers that are/were empty and others that are/were full.

I've sold both empty and full oilers... Empty oilers as has been stated; are much easier to ship (again, sorry about the oiler that leaked, Kevin)

As Ken stated; it is the "Oiler tin" not the contents that are collectible... If I had my preference, I would rather have a pristine empty oiler tin than a full one... But too often, empty tins have "squeeze dents" on them that is a detriment to the condition...

But a full oiler that has been dropped; is "just plain ugly".... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like my cans full. For me this makes them truly new old stock. Full cans, that are dent free, are also harder to come by which in turn means there are fewer on the market which indirecty saves me money. Once you empty a can you lose a chance to resell the can to a segment of collectors.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got lucky and bought several different brands of handy oilers from a private individual about a year ago ,and for me it's a great deal either way, when a can of wd 40 or liquid wrench costs 5-8 bucks in this day and age ,I am glad to get them full ,and it's probably better oil anyways. I use them for everything from cleaning guns to even oiling the blower bearings in our wood pellet stove , maybe when I'm ready to turn over my collection to the kids some day ,they will be empty by then, I bought a real nice marco metal 5 gallon can full of motor oil last summer at a local auction for $ 10 , oil was crystal clear and I used it last summer and changed oil in my dixie chopper mower and in one of my trucks , I know it sounds a little red-neckish but its the truth ,nothing chucked a rod and I got 20 Qts of 30wt for 10 bucks Lol ! I welcome full cans.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All of my cans are empty, the ones I found full, I empty them, here in belgium there are no difference in value and rarity if they are full or empty, the only difference is if the top was removed, personnally I just pierce 2 holes in the bottom with a screw driver, it's neat and when it's displayed it's like it was full

I got now around 50 oil cans and they are all empty

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved