Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#401765 Fri Mar 15 2013 02:58 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
l've got a spare repop 13.5" lens. Would like to turn it into a clock by drilling a hole in the center of the lens, then attach the clock mechanism to the back with the hands in the front, then hang on the wall. Has anybody done this and if so, what guidance might they give on drilling the hole? Thanks in advance!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take it to a glass shop and see if they can do it.they have a better chance of success than you do.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All I can recommend is grit your teeth, hold your breath and pucker them cheeks and wait for the crack.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Yea... I'm assuming it's a long shot, but the glass shop is a great idea, thanks!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
take it a place that has a waterjet , They might be able to do it

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's not impossible at all.i have gotten several flat pieces of glass drilled.but the guy always tells me, he's not responsible if it cracks.hasent cracked one yet.a curved lens may be a little different though.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
A friend of mine makes holes in flat glass using a Dremel tool. Keep in mind that is flat glass. I like the glass shop idea. If they break it then I guess you would have as well.

If you decide to do it yourself, remember, glass bit, low pressure and lots of lubrication. I make a dam with plumbers putty and use soapy water. Save some, break some. I'm at aabout 70% good.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Dremel Drill sounds like your best bet, lubrication and RPMs mentioned... Practice first on something... I think it can be done. What size hole do you need done ?

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
There are diamond drill bits made just for drilling glass.
Get ya one and have at it! You might want to practice on a bottle or jar first to get the hang of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought a set of small glass bits at I think loews or Home depot. Drilled a couple holes in a regular pane no problem at all. They walked a bit at first. They sell them on ebay also.#360615532853 The water dam idea sounds good. Do it yourself,I say!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This would be different then drilling normal plate glass.

Something, to bear in mind is that when the logo's are baked on; it tempers/hardens the glass. This in turn makes it more prone to cracking.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
I have done it with a dremel with a glass bit they have, wasn't in the center of lens but it worked good for me, I had to try for myself , I'd rather break it than somebody else.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
This would be different then drilling normal plate glass.

Something, to bear in mind is that when the logo's are baked on; it tempers/hardens the glass. This in turn makes it more prone to cracking.
Isnt glass melted sand.? seems to me it would be heated WAY more in the initial process than later in some oven at a few hundred degrees.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Support the back side w/ a sand bag.

Dave,
IF the baking of FRIT in the making of lenses had Tempered the glass, WE would never be finding Cracked lenses. Tempered Glass SHATTERS like side windows in cars/trucks & shower doors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved