Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#403076 Wed Mar 20 2013 03:00 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Need to read this, it may have been posted here already but everyone needs to know.

http://www.cheesepitstop.com/viewtopic.php?t=11336

Thanks, Phil
philmccauley #403079 Wed Mar 20 2013 03:59 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Another reason why I quit selling on ebay and only buy there now.Constant rule changes,the addition of paypal,fee increases ,excessive protection of the buyer drove me off as a seller a while ago.Too bad as I did well for the few items that I sold there.Met some nice people, but the continual BS just was not worth it.I hope the bottom end for them finally suffers.Their moves to favor store's and the big listers showed me what direction they were going in.I say Good ridence as they are getting almost as bad as the pay day loan shark's.MY two cent's !

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #403081 Wed Mar 20 2013 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do alot of selling and buying from there and i have learned just to incorporate the fees into the price of the item.

So if i want 30 bucks for an item i set the Buy it Now or reserve to 33. That is one way to absorb some of the eBay pain...

I also sell stuff for other people on my account and now i just make them pay the fees plus a small commission for myself.

But one day there will be a newer and better site that looks out for the sellers... Just wait.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #403088 Wed Mar 20 2013 04:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not to mention they dwindle a % of the shipping fee....

Always buying and selling Neon Dealer signs pumps air meters
www.porcelainneonsigns.com
Mantiquers #403092 Wed Mar 20 2013 05:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hate a shipping fee,not sure why they get a cut of shipping. The last big range hood I sold I said no shipping and I had a guy call me and I carried it to a shipping company and he paid them with his credit card so I could avoid that fee.

Last edited by coheley5; Wed Mar 20 2013 05:19 PM.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #403098 Wed Mar 20 2013 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: coheley5
I hate a shipping fee,not sure why they get a cut of shipping. The last big range hood I sold I said no shipping and I had a guy call me and I carried it to a shipping company and he paid them with his credit card so I could avoid that fee.

Because some sellers were abusively listing a $100 item for 99¢,and then stating the shipping for it was a $100,so they could pay a smaller %.
EBay picked up on it and said that's it.....we're lumping the 2 amounts together & deducting our %.

Cold Pizza #403125 Wed Mar 20 2013 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used to sell a "LOT" on ebay, but its been about a year now and I doubt I'll go back? I buy quite a few smaller items on there, like pump parts & such, but I think I'm done selling!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #403130 Wed Mar 20 2013 06:46 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree I am done with e-bay , Every time I look at my ebay I feel like my former bank has sent me another letter telling me how they can charge me a fee for a checking account.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #403182 Wed Mar 20 2013 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People sell on e-Bay because no one else can offer the exposure that e-bay can. Due to this exposure; in most instances the highest price for an item can be realized via e-Bay. Nothing is free, IMO 10% is not an outrageous commission to pay, especially when e-Bay has a monopoly.

I agree, that there is a certain element of greed on e-Bays part. However, for the most part all e-Bay policies are in place because of crooks. The rules and policies have originated through an evolution based on the need to protect the interests of e-Bay and buyers.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #403189 Thu Mar 21 2013 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just opened a e bay account just to try it and so far I am not very impressed , I got a hateful message from them the other day over listing a 30 rd gun magazine , but others had the same banana mags listed and in the picture you could see it was a30 rounder but listed as a 10 rd , I guess to fool the e bay people , seems like a lot of deception and dishonesty going on .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
47reo-travis #403222 Thu Mar 21 2013 06:54 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
My wife showed me a site called www.Etsy.com.
I had never heard of it, not sure if any of you have. It is only "Buy it Now". No bidding. Not sure what the fee's are or how they work. There is some, but not much petro on there. Maybe there should be more.
Just thought I would throw it out there in case none of you have heard of it.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
47reo-travis #403223 Thu Mar 21 2013 06:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you sell on ebay you have to buy right. I own a pawn shop and 60% of my business is ebay and amazon. Ebays 10% (12.9%) when you add paypal is nothing compared to amazons sometimes 19% on electronic items. Its crazy but very volume drivin and tough for the small time sellers like myself who dont have 20k+ items listed. Keep on pluggin away though and buy right if you do you can put any fee they throw at you into the sale of the item on the front end when you buy it.

Also stay away from ANYTHING brand named and gun related to be 100% safe. I see more and more top rated million plus rev a year business's get kicked off ebay for copy right infringement. The VEVO system they have has higher end company coach, louis v..etc search ebay up and down and pull items all day everyday...

With signs i hope the day never comes when lets say goodyear is on the other end pulling a sign because it says "property of goodyear"

Worse things have happened..

Always buying and selling Neon Dealer signs pumps air meters
www.porcelainneonsigns.com
Mantiquers #403245 Thu Mar 21 2013 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even though eBay boasts you get the most exposure on the planet,that doesn't mean every single person on eBay is looking at your item.I like it when sellers show a counter on the bottom of their auctions.That's more reflective of a litmus test to me..
I've gone back to selling @ the indoor & cornfield swap meets we all frequented before eBay.
Pay one fee,set up,socialize,and sell that hour w/o having to package & ship as well.If you have a nice item,that you took care of & paid fairly for,your item will show a return of some kind for you.
For the most part,prices on ebay are also what others are/have been paying in person as well,so their claim to those prices be exclusive to them are greatly exaggerated.

Oldgas is a good honest site to sell on as well,is spite of a couple of ignorant members. smile

Steven C. #403258 Thu Mar 21 2013 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
I had never heard of it, not sure if any of you have. It is only "Buy it Now". No bidding. Not sure what the fee's are or how they work. There is some, but not much petro on there. Maybe there should be more.

if ETSY stays true to their mission, then there shouldn't be anything on there that is not handmade, which keeps it kind of crafty-like and more geared towards the female gender. but then it comes to defining 'handmade'.

in the end, there is nothing that is as easy to sort and filter and search than Ebay... unfortunately.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #403264 Thu Mar 21 2013 09:41 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: baileybee
Originally Posted By: SC62

if ETSY stays true to their mission, then there shouldn't be anything on there that is not handmade, which keeps it kind of crafty-like and more geared towards the female gender. but then it comes to defining 'handmade'.

in the end, there is nothing that is as easy to sort and filter and search than Ebay... unfortunately.

I did not now that they're intenstion was homemade stuff only. That explains all the photo's and art and so on. But there is definately petro pieces on there. I've seen many. You have to search all items or vintage.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved