Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Oldgas member ProudDad had a fantasy/reproduction sign listed on e-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gulf-pump-plate-sign-gas-oil-porcelain-vintage-antique-/290881586309?

I brought it to his attention by posting the following:

"I just looked at your other items for sale.

I would like to bring to your attention that, the 11 3/4" porcelain Gulf plate that you have listed is not an original sign. It is a reproduction sign."

He sent me a PM, and I once again to explained to him.
"Your experienced Gulf collector failed to realize that Gulf never made a ppp in that size of that design."

He read my PM and still continued to sell the sign. I don't know how, I could have made it more clear to him that he was selling a reproduction sign.

There is no excuse for this. A prudent individual would have accepted what I was telling them. At the very least they should have sided on the side of caution and the auction should have been cancelled.

Not being one to just sit around and do nothing. I'm making this public. Then at least, I'm not part of the problem. Evil prevails when good men choose to do nothing!

It's disgusting and disturbing when week after week we discuss on this forum about people selling these reproduction signs as originals on e-Bay. The damage it does to this hobby and the reputation that these sellers create for themselves.

In light of the foregoing. I will be the first to cast my vote that this member should no longer be allowed the privilege to be a member of this site. His actions bring into disrepute the reputation of this site and all it's members. Week after week we all state our dislike of those people that sell fakes as reals. This is your chance to take a stand against this sort of thing and send a clear message to any other member that may want to profit from fakes. In no uncertain terms make it clear that their dishonesty will not be condoned. Or, you can allow them to walk amongst us; which would be a slap in the face of everyone that chooses to condemn dishonesty.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree with you Dave. It makes me sick seeing all these repops bring crazy money on eBay! It's sad! You have my vote 100%

Rust is a must
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave

I dont know you personally.....but its easy to judge by your posts that you are part of the solution. Thank you for soldiering on in a war we will never win.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Right on, Dave!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not one to "jump on the bandwagon", but if one knowingly commits fraud or any other criminal act(theft,etc) connected/associated with this hobby...he/she should be banned. It is a privilege to be a member here, NOT A RIGHT. Care must be taken though and some sort of "due process" followed, but let those with the most experience(moderators) decide. Dave Jones

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too sent him a pm about the plate explaining that Gulf never used this logo on their plates or even used a 12 inch plate.. I honestly didnt see it until about 2 hrs before the end of the auction, so I said to myself maybe he didnt read my pm in time. Im disapointed too.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Listen everyone. Thanks for the lynching. As I explained to Dave, this sign was showed to a local collector that has collected Gulf for a long time who said it was legit. So the information I had was that it was real. A friend and long time collector telling me its legit for me was better than somebody's opinion on old gas that I know nothing about. I contacted the buyer right away after the auction ended and told him there was concern about the plate being real and if he recieved it and thought it wasn't real too that I would refund him right away!!! So no, based on one persons opinion, I did not pull the auction. I made contact with the buyer. My business between me and the buyer. I made no advertisement for this on old gas as its a common piece. An identical size plate sold on eBay last week for almost $300. All the information I had was that it was real. Guilty until proven innocent with you guys. You speak of talking about people selling reproductions week after week well the same can be said for behavior like this. Off putting, judgemental behavior and rude comments. I made it right with my buyer. My business and his. I would never intentionally sell something reproduction. I have sold hundreds of items, everyone with positive response. You all have no idea who I am outside of here. If you had a clue, you would change your tune.

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Dave, I saw your post and looked at the item on Ebay. There were only a couple of hours left on the listing. Maybe he didn't see your email in time. Not everyone has access to their computer 24/7. Or he may have made it right with the winner. You really have no way of knowing what happened AFTER you sent your email. I think that a little more time is warranted BEFORE he is hung.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted By: Catauladave
I am not one to "jump on the bandwagon", but if one knowingly commits fraud or any other criminal act(theft,etc) connected/associated with this hobby...he/she should be banned. It is a privilege to be a member here, NOT A RIGHT. Care must be taken though and some sort of "due process" followed, but let those with the most experience(moderators) decide. Dave Jones

I'll second that

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Really? You guys are saints! Wow

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I buy and sell both original and reproduction/fantasy items. I make it clear to the buyer which items are old and what are new. If anyone credible was to question what I advertised as old I would put it aside for a few days, weeks or months until I completed more research.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Guys look, I had the plate looked at by a local collector who told me it was real. I got the message from Dave who said it was not. I felt Dave was incorrect so I continued the sale. After it sold I notified the buyer right away of all of this and will make it right with him immediately. I would NEVER sell something misrepresented, ever. We are all collectors and all need to do great business with each other and we all make mistakes. I made one and I'll make it right too!!! Promise!!!!!

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gary, He sent me two PM's. In the end he stated "At this point I'm going to keep with the advice of my friend.".

By this time he had received PM's from at least two fairly knowledgeable collectors telling him the sign was a fantasy piece. He knowingly choose to ignore that advice.

In this case his actions speak clearly. Life is about choices...and it's those choices that define us.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've just finished reading every post concerning this subject . All I can say is SHAME ON HIM !!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You may be right about the emails,but he may trust his friend more than others that he doesn't know. I just think that everyone should have his day in court. Give him some time to explain his side before blackballing him. Just saying.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved