Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Gary,
I just pulled them from the web. But I have them saved if you want me to send them to you.

I too dream of finding the parts, short of the pump, to assemble one of these some day. If I cannot find the actual parts, I hope to build my own using some kind of revere harp and blue shade.

Here is a picture of the frame I did ultimately purchase from the upper Michigan man I spoke of. No cardboard on this one, and it came NOS in the box when I bought it.

globe frame I (2).jpg globe frame II (2).jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Jul 14 2014 10:20 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NOS in the box or Found in the box?

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Well going with NOS meaning "New Old Stock" definition, it was found in the box having never been in service.
You can see that the snap rings are like new. And there is not a spot of rust or hardly even a scratch.
Also, you can see, although hard to photograph, where the original paint did not fully cover down in parts of the grooves on the outer surface. If this had been a repaint, I'm sure the any decent painter trying to repaint the piece, would have been more caring to paint it perfectly.
If that's not NOS, then what is?
Also, FWIW, I have the box.

IMG_20140714_134846_829 (2).jpg IMG_20140714_134905_976 (2).jpg IMG_20140714_135130_460 (2).jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Jul 14 2014 11:03 AM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great stuff Steve. It all started with a curious/interesting picture and look where we are now.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Steve, I'd like to have a copy of those pictures if you'd email them to me (addy in my profile). If they aren't any better resolution than the ones posted don't bother but usually you lose some resolution when downsizing to fit in a post. I would also like to have a copy of that page that Mark posted from the Revere catalog or, even better, my own catalog. If you're reading this Mark and would part with a copy I'd love to have it. I'll be looking close at any Revere books I see from now on.

After reading the description of the kit in that catalog I'm wondering if it actually came with a body that had been modified with the hole or if putting the hole in a canteen body was up to the installer with the kit only coming with the pole light and mounting hardware with the light sockets for the globe. Another thing I noticed about my body as well as Steve's is the single hole that is drilled in the side of the base. I don't think this hole is in every low profile 15" body is it? The catalog info on the kit says that the adapter is installed with "hook bolts and plate" to the pump so maybe that hole is where a screw was used to secure the body to the adapter plate? Other than that adapter plate that we can't really see in the catalog, everything else is pretty clear as to what was used including a " "2" standard, 42" long" pipe. Why would they bother to mention that the pole was standard 2" pipe if the globe with a hole in it came with the kit? I'm betting that the customer punched the hole in a globe body he supplied to finish the installation. The small hole in the base on mine has been drilled with a pretty dull bit so I doubt it was drilled by Revere. They may have even supplied a hole punch in the kit for the installer. The fact that Steve's was in an original box doesn't mean that it wasn't punched for use on a pole light by a station owner and then never used. But, another interesting thing is that both of these bodies had the hole covered with tape and then were painted Sunoco yellow. Mine has been painted over later with a brush but the original yellow paint is showing under that on the tape and cardboard over the hole. Maybe they were modified by Revere and painted for the jobber in the company color of their choice....who knows?....GB

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Gary,
To make things even stranger, mine apparently didn't come from Revere. Here are pictures of the box.

Also, the small hole in mine was surely put in after paint.
And the tape was surely put on after paint as the paint runs cleanly under the tape. And I really dont believe the tape is painted.

box 3 (2).jpg box 1 (2).jpg

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The tape on mine was also put on top of the original body paint but it is exactly the same color as the original layer of yellow on the tape. I don't know if they would have had colored tape back then, guess they could have. At any rate it looks like the tape wouldn't have been put on there when it was new if it was going to be used for the pole light. Maybe Revere got the punched and painted bodies from Phil. Elect. and included them in the kit. Note that it doesn't say "Sunoco" yellow.....I don't know who all the manufacturers of metal bodies were either. Does anyone know if Phila. Elect. made bodies?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved