Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#403780 Sat Mar 23 2013 03:30 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Is it just a wild coincident from how this picture was taken, or are those island lights coming out of the top of those globes?

a167.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"Trick" photography even back in the day! Looking closely at the photo, it appears that the top of globe has begun it downward turn before the pole. I think it is just the angle from which the photo was taken and the poles stand behind the pump.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Look at the shadow on the ground to the left of left pump. The pole is coming out of the globe. No trick photography there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good point, however the angles are wrong in my opinion. Perhaps some of the globe experts will weigh in on this. If it comes out of the globe it would need to have a hole in it and the lights inside the globe would have to be offset. The pump itself would have to have some mounting hardware to support the light pole. Until we know more, we will have agree to disagree.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If those are real that is awesome.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
The shadow proves they come out of the globe. If they were behind there would be an offset in the shadow. Plus if they were behind, what would that do to the service on the other side of the island?
It's jsut seems weird that there doesn't appear to be any harware up were the post passes into the globe.
I bet if I had one of Jacks books it I wouldn't have to ask.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that the light poles come out of the globe.

It wouldn't be difficult to do. Design brackets to attach the pipe (2.5") to the top of the pump frame below the top sheet metal. Make a 2.5" hole in the metal globe body. Then slide the globe down the pole and place harp and light shade on top of pipe. You would have enough room inside the globe body to place a 25 watt light blub on either side of the pipe to light up the globe as well.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those poles did indeed come out of the top of the gas pumps & through the globes body,and not the ground behind it.
I've only seen one other set up like this & the globes did not light up and were stagnant.
I suppose the ones in your photo might have lit up,with a custom wired bulb through the pole inside.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess we will never know. But I do not believe they come out of the globe. Doesn't look like it to me.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It appears it is the consensus that I am wrong, wouldn't be the first/last time I am sure. Would love to see a photo from the other side or a globe body made for that application. Also very interesting is the symbol on the front of the station the Sunoco sign. It appears to be a doctors cadeusus. What is up with that? Was Sunoco advertised as good medicine???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...they do come out of the globe...Revere made them...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57CameoGuy
It appears it is the consensus that I am wrong, wouldn't be the first/last time I am sure. Would love to see a photo from the other side or a globe body made for that application. Also very interesting is the symbol on the front of the station the Sunoco sign. It appears to be a doctors cadeusus. What is up with that? Was Sunoco advertised as good medicine???

...Mercury-Made...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57CameoGuy
Also very interesting is the symbol on the front of the station the Sunoco sign. It appears to be a doctors cadeusus.What is up with that?Was Sunoco advertised as good medicine???

The caduceus is often associated with the god Mercury,and Sunoco marketed its motor oil as "Mercury-Made" in the 1940s,due to the use of mercury in its process at that time.
Although the association with Mercury seems to have disappeared by the 1950s,some stations still had the caduceus.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just hang around you guys long enough and some of the knowledge will rub off. Thanks!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If they do run thru the globe you don't need a light in the globe you have one above it.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved