Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40405 Mon Jan 23 2006 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just went to upstate Pa to pick up an Erie 71 and would like to see some pictures of the different tops and how the pumps were branded. This one is going to be a challenge as to how I restore it. Mine has two die-cut top covers and a globe ring on top, but I believe there is something missing. One door has a few dings and one pump plate is a little rough, but the rest of it is in fantastic shape. I really want to do this one up extra nice. Thanks ! Brady

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brady:

Here ya go . . . This first shot is of the elusive all-glass top.
(I'm looking for one of these if anyone has one for sale!)

Now here is a shot of my Erie 70 top with the Tower Base attached.

And finally a shot of my finished top on the frame. The thin horizontal Stainless Steel trim on the sides has not been installed in this shot - but I've done it since I took this image. Note that the Tower Base has SS Trim on it also. I modified some of my longer SS Trim pieces to go on the base. These were not on the pump originally.

If you need the SS Trim for your pump, I have complete sets of reproduction pieces available. See the web site for information.

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, thanks for the quick reply. My pump does not have the globe tower base. That is where there is a flat piece to the right and left of the top, with a circular hole to get access to the globe holder. There is way too much area on top of mine to let the elements into the pump on mine. I would sure like one of those globe tower bases for mine. Anybody have one ??? Do you have a PIC of the finished pump ? What did you do for the ad glass ? I only have one ad glass clip - did you fabricate something for yours ? Thanks ! Brady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brady:

Mine is a 70 - no ad glass. Therefore, I didn't have to worry about the clips.

Sounds like you have all the parts for your top. The little 'L'-brackets that mount to the globe ring have holes in them to adjust the actual globe unit up an down. That way you can get a better fit and not see the base of the globe. (At least that's how I think it all worked.) I won't be using mine - if you want them, drop me a note with your address and I'll ship them out to you. No Charge.

Or . . . you can fabricate a single-piece solid sheetmetal top to replace the two pieces from the factory. Drill a hole in the center to let the conduit/socket poke thru and mount a new globe holder directly to the new top plate. That will seal it up quite a bit and get rid of a bunch of extraneous parts.

I'm missing the tower assembly itself. I ended up with the tower base unit only - so I decided to do a custom top for my pump using the Tower Base and a custom-fabricated 'Poor Man's' jeweled body. LOL

I haven't painted the skins (or sand blasted them even). I have polished all the SS Trim I had that is original from around the nozzle holder, rebuilt the electrical and assembled the frame and base. I even straightened the nozzle holder flange and polished it. It's only pot metal - but it cleaned up nicely.

I've gotten involved in a few other things that have taken my time away from finishing this particular pump. Hopefully, by late spring I'll be caught up and can dedicate a bit of time to getting the 70 finished.

If you need any reference or help, shoot me an e-mail and I'll be glad to give you a hand.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, thanks again. I am at work now, I will check out the brackets when I get home, and your suggestion on making a one piece top mount is a good one. I need to clean off a whole lot of paint to check out my chrome - its covered with I don't know how many layers of paint. I too need to finish some other projects before I jump in head first with this one. I am still going to keep an eye out for a tower mount. Perhaps I will run into a pair of all glass tops - I know what to do with the 2nd one. Thanks, Brady

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved