Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40474 Mon Sep 09 2002 06:23 AM
E
EJC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
As a newcomer to this great hobby, I just aquired a Bennett 766 pump that was previously Sinclair regular, later Sinclair Dino with the larger porcelain metal decal. Later, when Arco took over, they put this ugly "gray cross" pressure sensitive decal over the original porcelain.

How do I remove it without harming the porcelain sign? I've tried stripper and other solvents, but this decal must have been designed to resist solvents.

Any suggestions on the best dealers for pump parts, globes and decals?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#40475 Mon Sep 09 2002 06:40 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Have you tried scraping with a razor blade? Paint stripper should remove it without affecting the porcelain.

As for vendors, check the links on this site. I have used them all and had good service with them. Shop the prices.

#40476 Mon Sep 09 2002 09:19 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
soak it in lacquer thinner. for about 10 minutes. that should take it right off. with no damage to the porcelain.

[This message has been edited by big cheese (edited 09-09-2002).]

#40477 Mon Sep 09 2002 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
EJC:

These old decals can harden so much in the sun that most cleaners won't touch them without some help prior to using the solvent.

You can soften the decal gently with a heat gun a bit at at time and then scrape off the majority of the offending thing with a soft scraper. After you get as much as you can get off the underlying porcelain, you can finish cleaning up the adhesive residue with any 'PrepSol' or automotive paint pre-cleaning fluid (available at your local auto paint supply store). Keep turning your cleaning rag until the surface is no longer sticky. Follow up with a quality automotive polish and you'll be golden.

I've used this procedure to remove old year stickers from vintage license plates and never damaged the underlying paint. The same steps will insure great results on your old porcelain signs.

Hope this helps!

Jim

#40478 Tue Sep 17 2002 06:37 AM
E
EJC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the help...I got it off after soaking in Bix stripper several times, scraping, then lacquer thinner....those original porcelain signs are almost indestructible!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved