Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
I've had something going on in the garage for the last few years that has been driving me CRAZY. Thought it was time to talk about it and VENT.. I have one of those metal garages that they come put together in a day on your foundation. They cost about 4-6K and for the money they're great. Now it's a solid structure and I've gone through it and spray foamed the majority of the larger air leak spots but by no means is it air tight. There is NEVER any rain, snow etc that gets in ofcourse and everythign stays dry. I've had a totally mint painted metal sign flake to pieces in the course of a year. It flaked off to bare metal in most spots! Now ofcourse with that sign it just wasnt properly primed 50 years ago. But it's been happening to a few other items. Most of my nicer tin and painted metal signs are in the house because I know better now but I have some out there and I can clearly see they are getting worse over time. And I'm not talking many years more like 2 years tops. If the paint is flaked off in one section it's getting worse and more is beginning to lift in those areas. I brought home a lubester last summer with either an older resto or original paint. I looked at it today and it was peeling in a few spots that were totally solid! What is the deal and is there anything I can do about it? Anyone else seeing this issue?

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ive had same issue with 3 or 4 signs in last decade

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How's the air quality in your area? I lived near a coal-fired power plant that nearly stripped the paint from my hood and roof of my car.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is worst case ive had. I have one right now melting away right before my eyes.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=27673&Number=172994#Post172994

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think its to do with your concrete floor and the metal buiding. Condensation build up its whats killing your tin signs. The temp changes we have here in the northeast is also another factor. IMO bring them inside.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes...Humidity or water vapor in the air. I have seen NOS painted signs become unrecognizable in 20 years.Check your air and do what you need to do...dehumidifier/air conditioner-heat pump. Something that pulls the moisture from the air. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Wow, this is the first time I have heard of this.
Do you think if the building was built on a dirt floor it would be fine?
My company has a building on dirt but I have never had any signs left there for any long period of time.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Thermoman, Now that you brought up that post...I remember it. Yes I have been in the garage in the past where I walk in on a hot humid night or morning and all the gas pumps have moisture sweat on the glass and all the glass is fogged up on every one! So what can I do to help...run a dehumidifier 24/7? I noticed a difference on a few signs from the winter too not just summer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This happen to me too. We live in a valley. My theory is the air ,floor, and items in the garage are cold. On a warm moist day after a cold snap everything that retains cold begins to sweat when the warm moist air hit them. Like when you open the door. The metal expands and sweats and seperates the paint right off.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I dont think that this is the issue here but had to throw it out just for a warning to all. If you have a bottle of muratic acid / tile-grout clearer etc.in the room it will do a number on metal over a short time also. Even with the lid tight they emit fumes that in an enclosed room will cause rust and deteriation to paint BAD. Just a warning...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Maps for the memories
How's the air quality in your area? I lived near a coal-fired power plant that nearly stripped the paint from my hood and roof of my car.

FYI, living near a power plant has nothing to do with the paint on your car...

The stress of cold and hot has a lot to do with paint on thin tin signs.. the contracting whenit is cold and expanding when its hot fatigues the paint.. just my 2 cents..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Catauladave
Yes...Humidity or water vapor in the air. I have seen NOS painted signs become unrecognizable in 20 years.Check your air and do what you need to do...dehumidifier/air conditioner-heat pump. Something that pulls the moisture from the air. Dave
. Dave and 57 t bird I believe are exactly right , I had a 24x 30 shop 10 years ago before we moved to my current place that was bad to sweat it was a metal building also and it had a very thick floor and footings , my shop now has a monolithic style poured floor which does not seem to sweat as bad, and Missouri and Midwest humidity levels are some of the worst ,I had rebuilt several engines in the past in that old building and a newly machined raw engine block would surface rust in a mater of a week due to the quick temp changes if you would raise a door on the wrong day so I tried to avoid doing so, my place now very seldom does this , but with the crazy temp changes from cold to hot I avoid opening the overhead doors all at once when the weather temps make a big jump especially in the spring , but there idea of a controlled temp enviorment i beleive is the trick especially in a metal building , like Dave said a humidifier or hvac is the trick to avoid sudden temp changes i would say him being from the Midwest he knows this first hand as well. I know a guy who has a lot of the old metal oil cans that are just ruined and not worth much now because the 30 plus years of being in a shed in Missouri has taken its affect.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Muriatic acid can cause rust badly in a smaller sealed room. I would not think a large garage would be much of a problem.

Not many people own the stuff. I work with that acid daily and have seen rusted light fixtures, door hinges, tools etc. because of poor ventilation.
Best to always keep that stuff outside in a wood or plastic storage bin.

J
J
Condensation is part of the problem. It may be that your building is actually too air tight. Condensation forms when the outside air and inside air are different. I have two steel shipping containers for storage. The one I installed vents in stays the same temp. as outside, so no condensation. The container with no vents warms up during the day, and drips with condensation when the temp. drops. So try some ventalation to stop condensation rather then a dehumidifier to treat it. Just my 2c.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Defenitly need to try something. This puppy in the summer when it gets hot outside reaches temps over 100+ Degrees. It's like a sauna in there on hot days. Nothing but a metal roof...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved