Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Kool find Kevin.
Nice addition to
Collection

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
vert1 #406861 Tue Apr 02 2013 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No, I haven't bought it yet. The owner asked me for a valuation and we had a long discussion on the originality of this clock. One has to be very careful with clocks, because of the proliferation of fakes! I told him I was interested in purchasing it, but he doesn't feel comfortable yet to price it.
I would feel better also if I knew the whole story on it. I've sent a lot of pictures out and maybe some of the clock people I have sent them to will shed more light.
I think Daryl probably had the best suggestion, but not sure I can get the owner to test the face that way! We'll see what happens the next few days!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #406905 Wed Apr 03 2013 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not a commonly repopped sized glass. On the other hand, it does look like a Postal Telegraph and I havent seen any of those with advertising -other than "Postal Telegraph". Not that that means much. This being an earlier electric clock, I'd think that there would be an identifying name or mark on the ad glass, as manufacturers were proud of their work back in the day. Also, with a company as big as Cities was, youd think there would have been a number of them made. Also, if it was a one off, I'd think that it would have the station owners name or address on it. I would like it to be original for you, cuz its a cool looking clock. Shame what has happened to these backlit ad clocks. There is a discussion in another forum going on right now about unmarked repops....

Last edited by JimT; Wed Apr 03 2013 05:32 AM.
minuteman #406940 Wed Apr 03 2013 09:18 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
That looks to be a Gill Clock made in Philadelphia [would be present on rear case label] They are rare and are advertising clocks. I have never seen this lens before. I would recommend comparing the reverse side of the glass to a Gill globe lens. Should be same MFG process. Hands are correct style [paint?]for the clock and motor looks to be original

www.PetroRelics.com
Clock Parts & Restorations

BryceG #407014 Wed Apr 03 2013 03:58 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: baileybee
i like it! but I would be sure to check that inner ad glass real close, looks real nice.

does the backside of the inner glass feel smooth, or does it feel chalky? It should feel chalky because it is lead-based paint. All of the authentic pam clocks I have had or seen, you couldn't hardly feel the lettering from the backside and it felt like a used chalkboard sort of.

you could also lead test the back, but thats a bit more invasive.

i have seen less authentic cities service clocks than the fingers on my hands, so good luck - proceed with caution. to me it kind of looks like a Postal Telegraph Clock. I have one at home, whats the dimensions?

Kevin

You should be able to feel the back of the glass through the back access holes shouldn't you ?

Doug

blacktee #407090 Thu Apr 04 2013 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Condition of glass face doesn't appear to match the rest of the clock.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The saga of the Cities Service clock continues...
If you could examine the clock...I believe that you would know.Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well,ive been trying to research this a bit,and i think it may be real.the clock itself definatly looks to be a gill glass co,or gillco clock.have found several images on the web to compare to.(although i left my ipad up at the cabin,and refuse to go to imageshack on my pc to upload them).i had never heard of them before.i agree with the fact that its not a popular size.also,being as it was made by gill,it would have been made in the same way as a globe lens,and fired on,which could explain the condition of the face.although i have been playing with clocks for a few years now,i realize i am far from being an expert,and that several on here know more than i do.we all know that without holding it in person,and looking firsthand that its easy to be fooled.but i have asked others that havent posted,and between those answers and the research i was able to do,i really think its an original clock. mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im with dave the clock body shows obvious wear. Small dents maybe and light rust. But the face and the hands are perfect. Looks suspect. But a cool
Peice for sure. Its also a little to clean on the inside.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin I can't offer much input but that is a nice looking clock and needs to be on one of your shop walls , I like it , sharp! Nice discovery.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is this the clock now on ebay #290892566245 Mitch

67Chev4X4 #407294 Fri Apr 05 2013 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure is!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
starting bid of 250, and then also a reserve... wonder how high he's expecting it to go? My guess is 450-550

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #407334 Fri Apr 05 2013 09:25 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
eBay listing has ended.

Bill Fortune
wfort39663 #407336 Fri Apr 05 2013 09:42 AM
Veteran Member