Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#407337 Fri Apr 05 2013 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50S-60S-Mobil-44...=item27d17e28c2

Is it right? where would it have been used. He mentions this site in description...

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never seen one like that before. Looks like fiberglass and the only 3d ones i have seen are metal. My opinion is to stay away

Also why are the mounting brackets soo long? Doesn't add up

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He states that it is fiberglass. The last time I went to a coin op show a guy had a whole stack of those for $75.00 each. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't say if the Pegasus is real... But, I can state that some Mobil Stations DID have fiberglass Pegasus on their facades...

They were re-enforced, had long anchor bolts and a "fairly" complicated anchoring mounting set-up that allowed the Pegasus to move enough to counter-act any high winds...

This Pegasus has such anchor bolts... As all I can see is some photos, I can't say Yah or Nay...

In the late 70s- early 80s, a gentleman in N.C. found an original and made some "copies"... His creations did not have the anchor mounting points and were not painted exactly the same as the originals... Since then I have seen other "facsimiles" show up at different Shows and occasionally on Ebay... None of them have had the correct re-enforced anchor points and hangers....

Oh, for those wondering? My Father had 3 of the originals, we took them off of Stations in LA and Portland, OR... The Stations I saw with them, all had 2 of the Pegasus on a Station... I'm not sure if this was common, as I also saw quite a few more Stations that did not have the fiberglass Pegasus on their facades....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen the fiber glass Pegasus on an old station in IOWA smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got one of those for outside, only mine doesnt have those long anchors, just the little wire tabs you can see if you look closely. The anchors may have been added afterward. I assumed mine was a phony but looks quite identical to my authentic one. I would say this one isnt old but I guess I could be wrong.

Last edited by JimT; Fri Apr 05 2013 01:34 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved