Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#409143 Sat Apr 13 2013 05:55 AM
B
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B

I search ebay every day for Texaco. For the last few years (4-5) it's been getting worse and worse finding anything that's collectable. It's either a map, an ad, diecast, toys, matches, fantasy or reproduction pieces or your common pump plates. What's happened to that nice flange sign, pump plate, or hard to come by sign. Is everyone taking these pieces to gas shows ?

Thanks

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is what is happening with everything gas and oil. It either goes to auctions, person to person, and sometimes shows, but just delivered there.

Craig
Ebay has run off most of its sellers.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
That is what is happening with everything gas and oil. It either goes to auctions, person to person, and sometimes shows, but just delivered there.

Well said Craig!

Has anyone noticed how many AUCTION companies exists these days than say 10 years ago? And more being established every day ...

I believe widows + children of super collectors find it easy to dispose of collection via auctioners. I know this from TOY experience!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have had several auction companies contact me when they see me post a sign on CL for sale and can see another in the background they even tell me they will barter on the fee if I will just bring 4 or 5 good items. They need a good draw photo to place on auction zip. I don't sell at auctions and could be wrong but I put a price on something and go with it to make myself happy with the deal.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
More collectors = less stuff to go around. Due to this demand versus supply shortage you are seeing a great influx of reproduction junk.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Also much of the Gas & Oil memorabilia we all grew up with is being sent across our borders & overseas,in all directions.
Foreign countries have been obtaining & holding onto our vintage Americana more & more.
They've been doing it for awhile with our antique automobiles too.
..I suppose we all have a price,but unfortunately we'll never see it again.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dang, the jig is up!! You guys finally figured us out. I guess we can drop the Mr. Nice-guy, mild mannered Canadian with the fat wallet approach. I knew it was too good to last. Well you are not getting the stuff back. Unless of course you try invading us again. lol. Cheers, Don.
ps. Oh yeah, we may have to do more searches on you when you vacation up here and are about to leave.

Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
More collectors = less stuff to go around. Due to this demand versus supply shortage you are seeing a great influx of reproduction junk.

I am afraid that the reproduction junk will ruin the hobby. I have seen the inexperienced, uneducated and naive buyers on ebay paying $300 to $600 for signs that are clearly reproductions. When these burned buyers realize they will say never again. I know it is the buyer's responsibility to make an educated purchase but it seems to me that ebay has a responsibility when so many listings are clearly fakes and are ending for such high prices.

USN ret. 1966-1989
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have to disagree. Ebay is not the one who makes you hit the bid button. Same if you were at a flea market or garage sale. You have to make the call if its real. If you are not sure then dont buy it plain and simple

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Richard, repops have been around since the 1920s... Repops haven't killed the Hobby, as of yet...

Repop/Fantasy items, just means that the New Hobbyist as well as the Experienced, have to keep up with what is being sold in the Marketplace... I for one, enjoy seeing the evolution of repops and fantasy items... It keeps me "on my toes"... It becomes a "game" between myself and those who sell the "trash"...

"Will I win or will those who want to cheat me, win?"...

Without repops, very few pumps would be completed... And how many, Game Rooms and Restaurants would have nothing on the walls?... LOL

For quite a few/most of us, repops aren't the problem... Unmarked repops and fantasy items are the problem....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Yes, I agree that it is the unmarked and accelerated aged fakes sold as the real thing that I see as a not insignificant problem. I review the sold items on ebay and see all the slick phrases and stories- "this item found in an estate sale barn", "old style" sign and even some sellers who do not know they are selling a fake. As you know, there is some really significant monies changing hands.
I hope you are right that any negative impact on the hobby and the value of real items will not be significant.

USN ret. 1966-1989
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
IMO, I would compare this market to the real estate market! People paid way to much for junk land,And paid dearly for good land! Five years later,A lot people left holding the bag! So only buy what you can afford,Do a lot of research ,And only buy what you like! Blake,

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I've put a couple rare things on here for sale and everyone wanted me to give it to them. Someone posted a 6' Flying A diesel sign on CL in Tx and people were going nuts, condition wasn't anywhere as nice as mine and I asking $3000.00 less,it's gone now. Don't sell ebay just couple shows and maybe fellow collectors who know me and want to buy something.

B
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B

Well I still have a few things to sell of mine, so maybe I'll hit a few gas & oil shows this summer. I'm really not looking to buy, but I'll probably always continue to search. Texaco is in my blood and always will be. I just can't believe what has happened on ebay. I will bet 80-90% of the listings are maps, ads, diecast toys, Texaco toys, matches, pencils a few F/C and S/C pump plates, and the rest is mostly fantasy or reproduction pieces. Real sad what has happened out there.

Thanks Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved