C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
In answer to the original question, NO!

Norm Huff
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Unless you feel the need to boost your ego through "fame by association", what does it matter whom owned/restored a pump (or car). Quality is quality, and junk is junk!

As to the sign question: at least with a restored pump, you can pretty well see what you are getting,and for the most part, distinguish what is old and what is repop.Pumps were made to be repaired, and worn/broken parts replaced. If you replace steel with steel, there isn't a lot of difference. If you replace porcelain with bondo and paint,not so much the same IMO.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Not to simplify, but you can only do so much to a pump. Tear them down, sandblast, body work, prime, base coat-clear coat and replace any parts that you need. We sell our visibles for considerably less than ol' Ricki boys' and they are every bit as good if not better. Think I will contact him and see if we can do subcontract work for him smile

Steve
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I've restored only one pump (Wayne 70), but I'll throw in my two cents. I found one of the best painters in Michigan. Over the years, I found original porcelain face plates, nozzle, pump plates, Wayne emblems, ad glass (Wayne stamped in LFH corners),and a globe. ID plate is reproduction, but the original is sitting inside.

Everything I have in it is around $2700-$2800.00 (because of the paint job) What would Rick have ? A price probably well over $5000.00 and a pile of reproduction parts. My pump looks exactly like it would have in 1939 (date it was made). My pump came from a farm 15 miles away and was originally a Fire-Chief pump.

Also I was the very first person from oldgas.com who had a veeder root completely restored by Joe Y. I also have two Tok. 39 shorts outside my garage in Fire Chief and Sky Chief all original, NOT RESTORED. I don't think if I get another pump it would be shipped 1700 miles to Rick. Unless he did a three part series on restoring my pump and mentioned my name alot. Oh and free shipping back to me. LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doug, Send Ric $100 for a Signature Decal to add to your pump so you can ask $5,000!

OH & you have to Install Something on it Upside Down!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Thu Apr 18 2013 05:09 PM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Dick

While at the car auction in Ft. Launderdale last month we walked pass the hi dollar pumps and found these two clowns for a photo with Mary Ann.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those POOR S C H M U C K S can't even afford new jeans, HOPE they didn't TOUCH THE WIFE. IF that had been my wife & they Touched her, she'd be WALKING HOME.

It WAS cool for the Blues Brothers to wear sunglasses INDOORS, but NOT FOOLS.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
"Come to the office so we can do some paperwork, whiz, bang, here's yer bill ma'm!"

Goober smile

R
R
Or one could simply put the Underwriters plates on the OUTSIDE of the door...jeez!

They're even the wrong access doors too! Let alone no valve at the top of the hose. I have an original Boyle-Dayton 1926 (all original parts exept globe glass), and lots of things wrong with these pumps!

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I've restored pumps over the years and I attempt to get it done as close to original specs by utilising original pics from petrol stations or brochures...
I absolutely hate it when people throw on whatever sticker they feel like and passing it off as original. I've seen a case of a (australian) wayne 605 restored in Australian Shell. The big BUT is, it looked like the restorer couldnt figure out what period he wanted it from. It ended up having a early to mid 1960's colours scheme, door panel decals from the 70's, adglass design from the late 60's then to top it off put a clam globe on top from the 40's... ..
I same do it once and do it how it was.
We get "american restoration" downunder now (probably 2-3season behind) and some of his work is stunning, but your right about the pumps that he restores, cant they be somewhat original.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved