Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#412768 Sun Apr 28 2013 01:29 PM
KL Bird Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Some of you may remember last fall when a bunch of my very good friends all got together and gave me a 1961 Chev Biscayne. Well, last night was it's maiden voyage after the long winter we had here in Saskatchewan. We planned for a week or so to get are cars together and meet at one of the grocerie store parking lots along the main cruzing strips in town.I had to work yesterday, so the minute I got off work I headed over to my friend Brad's place where my car was stored for the winter. I got the plates renewed the car fired up and purred like a kitten and I ran it back to my work where I can check it over,etc. This was around 5:00 pm. I got it checked over, gave it a quick wash and headed over to the lot where everyone was going to meet, the lot is only about three blocks from my work where I was working on my car.
We had fun, there was only about a half dozen cars there but people were walking and driving by taking pictures talking with us. I had quite a bit of interest in my old car, even with the rough paint and interior, but still a cool looking old car.
10:30 rolled around and it started to cool off and wind getting up, so time to go. I only had a coupla blocks to go back to the shop and put my car back in. I pulled out of the parking lot onto the far rite hand lane and going down the street, shift into second gear cruzing along and KAPOW!A kid, probably around 17, in a Pontiac G-5 piledrove me in the left quater panel.
I didn't even realized what happened, for a split second I thought the trans piled up and locked everything up, and then my neck was sore and realized I got hit. At the same time the kid was going past me on the left side partly out of control looking at me and I was looking at him, we pulled into a Dairy Queen parking lot and the cops followed us in, they were right there at the intersection when we went by.
The kid had to been hauling a$$ because it ripped his whole rite front of his car off, his fender was jammed in my quarter, the apron, rad support and upper rail was back to his firewall, just demolished. My old girl didn't fare too well either, the frame is bent and twisted like a pretzel and the quater, trunk floor, trunk lid everything was buckled up to the back door.
Only got one outing and 3 hours of enjoyment out of it. I gotta phone SGI tomorrow and put in a claim, not gonna get to much as I only put antique plates on it so it's only going to be around $700 because I haven't done anything to the car yet so no appraisals.
I would bet dollars to donuts that the kid was texting while he was driving and looked up and I was rite there, ya know, he didn't come and say anything or even acknowledge the accident. I yanked his fender out of my quarter and brought it over to him and asked if he was o.k.
What a night.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! That really stinks ken! Am glad your ok,and hope that somehow,things work out for you.sorry to hear that.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW, Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear of the accident and good luck with the insurance companies.
May God bless us all,
Mike

KL Bird Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks guys, ya I'm o.k. A little bit of a sore neck but no big deal. Myself and some of the people I was with last night went for breakfast this morning and then went down to the shop to have a look at the car, they were the ones that did all of this for me and I feel just as bad for them as they do for me. They are determined to make something good out of all this though, I gotsta lot of good friends.
Poor old car, I will keep it, buy it back for a coupla hundred or whatever SGI wants to do, I had a deal going with another person who wanted my six banger and wanted to swap straight across for a good 283/auto, I will see if he's still interested in the six and part the rest out, we'll see.
Ken.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Very sad to hear this.
I was just recalling your story to another recently.

You have more patience then a hospital.I would've placed that fender in a similar place on him..

Online Cool
What a sad deal for a cool old car. Hope you end up OK with your neck and with the insurance settlement for the car. Bummer.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just be glad you weren't in a newer car, ya might not be telling this story, EVER!

That sucks!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sue the kid if you can prove he was on the phone or texting and use the money to replace the car. Glad your okay, milk out the injury if you can. smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry bout your mishap. Sucks.

JimT #412927 Sun Apr 28 2013 10:31 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Ken
Check with SGI, you should be able to get a appraisal done after the accident to show what the car is actually worth. If you just renewed the plates tell them you were going to get it home and then appraise it. Get a list of appraisers with classic car experiance and you should get more than $700.
Even replacment value for a rolling Biscayne should be in the
2-3K range. Check on Kijiji before you even call SGI.

John

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved