Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
#413470 Wed May 01 2013 04:02 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
The "Company Of The Month" for May 2013 is MOBIL, which most of us felt would be the natural choice after last month's installment of SOCONY. Many thanks to Tom for hosting last month and to all whom contributed information and photos of their items for all of us to see. The following is a brief history of the company from Wikipedia, most of which was covered in Tom’s feature last month.

“Following the break-up of Standard Oil in 1911, the Standard Oil Company of New York, or Socony, was founded, along with 33 other successor companies. In 1920, the company registered the name "Mobiloil" as a trademark.
In 1931, Socony merged with Vacuum Oil to form Socony-Vacuum. The red Pegasus or "Flying Red Horse" was adopted as the company logo at this time. In 1933, Socony-Vacuum and Jersey Standard (which had oil production and refineries in Indonesia) merged their interests in the Far East into a 50–50 joint venture. Standard-Vacuum Oil Co., or "Stanvac," operated in 50 countries, including East Africa, New Zealand and China, before it was dissolved in 1962.
In 1955, Socony-Vacuum was renamed Socony Mobil Oil Company. In 1963, it changed its trade name from "Mobilgas" to simply "Mobil," introducing a new logo (created by New York graphic design firm Chermayeff & Geismar). To celebrate its 100th anniversary in 1966, "Socony" was dropped from the corporate name.
Through the years, Mobil was among the largest sellers of gasoline and motor oils in the United States and even held the top spot during the 1940s and much of the 1950s. Various Mobil products during the Socony-Vacuum and Socony-Mobil years included Metro, Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special gasolines; Mobilfuel Diesel, Mobil-flame heating oil, Mobil Kerosine, Lubrite, Gargoyle, Mobiloil and Mobiloil Special motor oils; Mobilgrease, Mobillubrication, Mobil Upperlube, Mobil Freezone and Permazone antifreezes, Mobilfluid automatic transmission fluid, Mobil Premiere tires, Mobil Stop-Leak, Mobil Lustrecloth, among many others.
In 1962, the gasoline product lines marketed as Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special were rebranded as Mobil Regular and Mobil Premium in a move to emphasize the shortened brand name "Mobil" in promotional efforts although Mobiloil continued as a single word term until the 1970s. After a few years of advertising Mobil gasolines as "Megatane"-rated and as "High Energy" gasolines, Mobil began, in 1966, to promote both its Regular and Premium fuels as "Detergent Gasolines," due to the inclusion of additives designed to clean carburetors and various internal engine parts.”

I started collecting Mobil items around 2007. While I have no personal affiliation with the company, I had always been drawn the “The Flying Red Horse” logo, one of the most iconic trademarks in advertising history. I was told early on when I started collecting old gas items that I better pick a brand as the amount of items available would be overwhelming if you tried to collect them all. Well I’ll tell you, Mobil in itself produced enough items over the years that it seems like I’m always seeing items that I have never seen before, and I’ve been in the hobby for over 6 years now and search the internet several times a day to see what is out there. Mobil is not the brand for the collector who wants to have an example of every item the company ever produced, as I don’t think anyone could ever succeed!

While I have a pretty extensive Mobil collection to share, I would first like to have all of those willing to share photos of their items to go ahead and show us what you've got! That way everyone has an opportunity to post. I’ll start posting photos now and then as we proceed of items that have not yet been shown. Mobil is a very popular company and I’m sure almost every one of us has a Mobil item or two in our collections, so let’s see them!

I’ll start with one of my most recent additions, the very scarce Mobilheat Stove Oil globe, produced from 1955-1962.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Wed May 01 2013 04:16 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
1 member likes this: Mamakat
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well here we go:

Early Mobiloil Painted tin Tacker sign:

Early 1930's Mobilgas Globe Green Letters 15":

Early 1930's Mobilgas Globe Blue Letters 13.5":

Different Mobil Marine and Outboard cans:

Mobil Marine and Aero can:

Gargoyle Filpruf Bottle:

Gargoyle cans:

Rarer Gargoyle Process can:

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
West Coast PPP:

Mobilgas PPP:

Mobilgas Central Region PPP:

Mobilgas Special PPP:

Keyhole Tin:

Lubrite Cans:

More Common cans:

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gargoyle Oil Bottle Rack

gargoyle 002.JPG
Last edited by moore798; Wed May 01 2013 05:56 PM. Reason: add info

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
2 signs & a can.. cool

IMG_0268[1].JPG IMG_0336[1].JPG IMG_0665[1].JPG

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
This was used on the outside of the stations when the lift was outside to show the customers the lubrication points.

002.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How did I know that globe would be included in the post Darin? Ha. Thanks for the info. Good stuff Darin and everyone that posted pics.

Brian

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few …..

mobilgas truck sign.jpg mobiloil 30:35.jpg mobilwax.jpg

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of the first gas and oil signs I ever purchased. Thinking the Texaco might have come from an overly aggressive Argentinian. : )

mobiloil.JPG
Last edited by Dave Richey; Wed May 01 2013 08:18 PM.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are my Mobil gas pumps

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
P
P
The Mobilfuel Diesel Special PPP posted above by Randy (advertologist) is the rarest of the rare pump plates. I've never seen one in person nor seen one for sale.

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Gotta look past the clutter...sorry

mobil3.jpg mobil4.jpg mobil5.jpg mobil6.jpg mobil7.jpg

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Some more

mobil9.jpg mobil11.jpg mobil12.jpg mobil13.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
more

mobil10.jpg

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved