Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What Clutter? You Mean Pure Treasures! grin

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

IMG_1187 by rbonitz2000, on Flickr

IMG_1343 by rbonitz2000, on Flickr

Last edited by rbonitz; Thu May 02 2013 12:12 PM.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I agree with Richard, the Mobilfuel Diesel Special is a tough sign to find. I got this one from the Jeff Pederson auction about 10 years ago. Only second one I have seen counting Randy's.

Bill Fortune
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
1947 rotating pegasus on a 10 story water tower

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Another hard to find pump plate.
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/001800x600u.jpg/][/URL]

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only Mobil piece I own, USAC sanctioned the economy runs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Thu May 02 2013 05:12 PM.
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks to all who have posted some very nice items so far, let's keep them coming! I remember the first time I saw Randy post a photo of the Mobilfuel Diesel Special plate, which as a new collector I didn't even know existed at the time. Now that Bill posted his, as stated in the thread these are the only two I know of in collections. Like Richard said, the rarest of the rare! The kerosene and Mobil diesel plates are also extremely hard to find. Also shown on one of Matt Alvarez's pumps is the scarce black border Mobilfuel Diesel pump plate made for the West coast marketing territory of General Petroleum. I will be posting more photos soon, as well as more history of Socony Vacuum's subsidiary companies through the years. In the meantime, keep posting your Mobil items!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a neat little small item:

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is the coolest Mobil piece I own.....

image.jpg

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say that T- shirt is way kwell too ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool shirt!! And great stuff from all so far.

Here are most of my Mobil items:

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I got this (you could say rare) white star map. It is rough, but I like it. And I don't have mobil patches... sadly.

php63ts7IAM.jpg phpL64esrAM.jpg

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Although I mainly collect Cities Service memorabilia, I seem to end up dragging a few choice pieces from other brands home with me! They will make good trading material when you Mobil guys find that special "Cities Service" piece that I might seem to need! LOL

1--30 inch DSP Mobilgas--used as a curb sign I believe
2--Gargoyle Gasoline sign--had a spot to post gas price
3--Mobiloil can rack--used to display cans at the pump
4--Gargoyle Lubester lid--cover for a bulk oil tank
5--MS70 pump with the Mobil plates it came with

Mobil stuff & signs 008.JPG Mobil stuff & signs 009.JPG Mobil stuff & signs 010.JPG Mobil stuff & signs 011.JPG Mobil stuff & signs 012.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the Mobiloil rack is cool.. cool

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Nice items Kevin!
To add on a bit to Noah's post of the 1934 White Star Mobil map, I had taken some photos for KYGULF a while back of my map collection, so since I had them ready I figured I would add them to the post now. All these maps are different in some way, either by size, date, or design. One of the most desirable Mobil related maps is the 1930 Vacuum Oil Co. graphic with the car, station, pumps, and attendant. All I have seen are for Pennsylvania, but I'm sure other states have to exist!

The next grouping are earlier maps, dating from 1933 to 1938. Some of the most collectible Mobil maps are those from the Wadhams division of Socony-Vacuum, as well as the earlier General Petroleum maps. In my opinion, some of the best Mobil items graphically were produced by the General Petroleum division, which encompassed the West Coast states. From maps, posters, to magazine and newspaper advertisements, General produced beautiful items in the pre-WW2 era.

The following grouping dates from 1938 to 1966. By 1946, (the predominately red background Michigan map) you will notice that the maps start following similar designs. By this point, Socony-Vacuum had instituted branding standards for all subsidiary companies, so companies such as Wadhams and General that had produced their own maps as a division of S-V had to conform to the same standards and no longer produced more "independent" marketing. You will still find maps during the 1940s and early 1950s that mention different divisions in the lower area, but the designs of the maps will all be the same. By 1956 all maps say "Socony Mobil Oil Company, Inc." as the company name had changed from Socony-Vacuum to Socony Mobil Oil Company in 1955. Starting about this time, Mobil was starting to phase out separating the Magnolia and General Petroleum subsidiaries which were the only two still operating from the earlier aquisition days. Both names would be phased out in 1960.

Shown in this last photo are some misc. maps, including Marine maps and other oddities. The rarest map in this photo is the Campbell Oil Company map of Chattanooga, TN. It's the only one I've ever seen. They were a distributor who used the Mobilgas branding very prominently on this local map, which I'm sure was to their advantage!
I hope I wasn't too wordy above, as I really enjoy giving the history on the items I own, which is important. Hopefully along the way we'll all learn something about Mobil we didn't know before! If you have any other maps not shown, go ahead and post them for others to see!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved