Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Time to add a bit more and bring the Mobil COTM to the top! smile If you haven't posted your Mobil items please do so as the month is winding down, as hard as it is to believe.
To start things off, I thought I would show some of the products Mobil sold over the years dealing with car care. A lot of these items were made with petroleum by-products from the refining process. Instead of disposing of these as waste as they had in the past, they were developed in to sellable products available for purchase at your local Mobil station.
A couple of early products, Mobilwax for cars and a package of Mobil Utility Cloth for cars and furniture polishing. I'm still amazed I was able to find an unused package of this stuff 70 years later!

Mobilgloss car wax.....

Sovasuds Cleaner and Car Wash. All of these bottles are different versions, and I know of at least 2 more I do not have including the WW2 paper label version.

The metal windshield cleaner sprayer was used by the station attendants, but glass art deco version was sold in stations for home use. My Oct. 1941 product catalog retails these at .39 cents each, and the metal ones for attendants at .60 cents each. I took the NOS glass one out of the original packaging to take this photo.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Last in the grouping is a photo showing different containers of windshield washer cleaner used over the years. I had taken this photo a couple months ago for a post about plastic containers, so the outboard is the odd duck as it doesn't have much to do with car care products!

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Here is a photo showing some of the different Lustre Cloths available. These were made for car and for home use for furniture polishing. The two on the right are different, one is Socony Vacuum and the othe is Socony Mobil Oil Company marked.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sat May 25 2013 08:52 PM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Here is a selection of all different Radiator Flush bottles.

When you had your car winterized with a radiator flush, fresh anti-freeze, and an oil change and lube job, this sign in the window of the Mobil station only reinforced the fact you were ready for the winter ahead!

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Your friendly neighborhood Mobilgas dealer had to keep records of the maintenance he had performed on your car over the years, so these record boxes were on the countertop of most every station from the 1940's thru the 1960's. I do know of another version or two but have not found them in decent enough condition to buy.

Pictured below is a selection of Mobil credit cards to pay for service rendered anywhere in the country at the sign of the Flying Red Horse.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Like most collectors, I've always tried to buy the best items I can find and afford. Sometimes though, you see something rough and you know it's rare so you buy it and hope that someday you can upgrade. Sometimes you can, sometimes you never have the opportunity. Case in point, I bought this rough Cleaners Naptha can at Michigan Gas a few years ago for $10. It's the only can I've ever seen with White Star Ohio Division wording on it, and to date, this is the only one of these cans I've ever seen period. I was lucky to find the cardboard sign a while back to go with it, the only example I've ever seen as well.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Last item for tonight is this cardboard Kerosene and Burning Oil sign from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I have a photo of a station in New York state with one of these tacked on the side of the building. I always love to find period photos of signage I have in use.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sat May 25 2013 09:50 PM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
For the next installment, I thought I would post some photos of my Outboard/Marine related items. Socony-Vacuum was a large producer of Marine products from the 1930's to the 1960's. The Mobilgas Marine porcelain pump plate is amongst the most collectable of the 12" shield plates, while the Mobilgas Marine globe is also tough to find and is illustrated in Lonnie and Aaron's photo above at the far left. I just reviewed the whole thread and see that both of these rare items are pictured in Tbirdgas' photos.

We'll start off with a yacht pennant as well as a Mobiloil Outboard hanging sign. Be careful to watch out for the repro flange sign of similar design. I have only seen a couple of these original hanging signs over the years.

Mobiloil Marine and Outboard quart cans......

2 1/2 gallon can for mixing gas and oil, as well as an early dual logo Mobiloil Outboard gallon.

Mobiloil Outboard flat quarts with measuring angles on the back to help with proper mixing.

Cardboard carrier that originally held 4 flat quart cans with an example of the can it would have contained.

Mobilube Outboard GX90 Gear Oil quart cans.....

Miscellaneous outboard related items from the 1930's to the 1960's.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sun May 26 2013 09:38 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. j

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. cool

IMG_0677[1].JPG IMG_0678[1].JPG IMG_0679[1].JPG IMG_0680[1].JPG IMG_0681[1].JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. cool

IMG_0682[1].JPG IMG_0684[1].JPG IMG_0242[1].JPG IMG_0297[1].JPG IMG_0378[1].JPG

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Randy for posting more of your quality collection.

In 1954 Mobiloil Special was reintroduced to the public with a large advertising campaign touting the added efficiency of the new formula. This rare heat motion lamp was meant to be an eye catching display on the counter top or as a wall hanging. I think I may have seen one other in a collection years ago.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Socony Mobil was a large producer of paints, another item made from by-products of the refining process. One of these cans mentions that they were makers of paint since 1872. I'm not sure when Mobil specifically stopped marketing it, but the aerosol and house paint can date from around 1960. Most of the older red, white, and blue Socony Paints cans you see show the contents were made for painting the stations. (the quart is "Station White") I guess this way there was no question you had the correct color white or red for your station, as Mobil made the paint you were using!

Darin Sheffer
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What's the chrome canister with the handle? Towel dispenser?

Wanted: Nebraska advertising items Cushman, Dempster, Archer oil etc.
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I think I will start today off with some Mobilgrease items..... smile

First off a 5 pound round in the middle with some examples of one pound cans. The Mobilgrease Aero on the right is a paper labeled can. Even though it's pretty faded, they are a tough can to find and I'm glad to have it. They have the same "Flying Horse Power" logo that the metal Aero quarts have on them.

Examples of 5 pound cans. Grease cans are tough to find in super condtion in my opinion as they were generally knocked around the farm for years. It takes most people a long time to use up 5 pounds of grease!

Two different examples of Mobilgrease in tubes for grease guns, along with an original box.

Examples of bulk product containers, including an older 100 pound Mobilube drum, a 16 gallon Mobilplex drum, and a really nice 5 gallon oil can made specifically for the Magnolia Petroleum territory.

Darin Sheffer
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved