Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#415407 Sun May 12 2013 06:10 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
There is a sign on ebay #360646452868. This looks pretty real to me, but I know the seller was spoken about here before. Anybody with thoughts on this sign?

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig--My thoughts are that its a real sign, and the seller has been known to have some real pieces at times, he just has no scruples about offering the fakes as being the real thing, and for that reason, I won't buy anything from him.
The only thing about this sign that I question are the neon outlets in the face of the sign, as they are different from the one I have a photo of. Its very possible that they made different versions of this sign, but they are from the same company, or at least marked as such! Hope this helps!

Idaho Trip 013.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Does look real but neon holes do seem off. You would think they would line them up neat and not off center. This signs calls for a huge neon bend back to make one solid ring.

Always buying and selling Neon Dealer signs pumps air meters
www.porcelainneonsigns.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It also appears to have been drilled for neon posts around the bow tie, but there is an abscense of access hole for that neon and I would think it would be in a separate piece as it is on the sign I pictured?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've seen a couple of those and if my memory serves me right, the neon main holes have always been around the bowtie like in Kevins pic.
In my opinion, it looks like a orig. SSP sign with neon added.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
It is a real neon sign. This is an earlier version that would have only had neon around the perimeter.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Agree with posts above that this sign is a real porcelain neon. 3 different versions made: ring only like the one in question, ring and Bowtie like Kevin's pic, and "full dress" where EVERYTHING is neoned.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Once again, I learn something new on here, and usually it's once a day if not 3-20 times per day! Great info guys!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are some pics with the neon attached. The one pic showing that version lit up is a restored sign and I believe that the neon shape is incorrect, but is an original sign. confused

Chevrolet Sign Outer Ring.jpg Lit Up.jpg
Last edited by 1937 GMC; Sun May 12 2013 12:35 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 1937 GMC
Here are some pics with the neon attached. The one pic showing that version lit up is a restored sign and I believe that the neon shape is incorrect, but is an original sign. confused

Hey guys I have this sign in original can and 2 lights that come out either side to shine on the middle . You mention this is the earliest version . How early is this version guys any documentation out there pics and years etc to back it up . Thanks for any help .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
bump

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: redindianguy
Originally Posted By: 1937 GMC

Hey guys I have this sign in original can and 2 lights that come out either side to shine on the middle . You mention this is the earliest version . How early is this version guys any documentation out there pics and years etc to back it up . Thanks for any help .

The Chevrolet Bowtie changed to the version in the Super Service Sign that Kevin posted in 1934; the prior version (two pics that I posted) had more of a "Script" character to the letters, see attached pic below. The other two pictures came from my 1938 Dealer Gold Book which was used by the dealers to sell vehicles; you can see the neon that was questioned at the start of the thread and possibly the sign that you own. Hope this answers your question.

chevrolet_logo_history1.jpg Chevrolet Neon Sign.jpg Chevrolet Sign.jpg
Last edited by 1937 GMC; Sun Jan 05 2014 05:30 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
so the one you posted with outside neon is pre 1934 ? thanks

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you mean by the neon shape is incorrect? Some signs only had an outer ring of neon.. The one below is an NOS skin that was never mounted on a can until we did..

I have some original Chevrolet Sign catalogs but I'll have to dig them out.. The "script" Super Chevrolet logo was used all through the 30's.. I will look to see what the earliest catalog I have with the script letters.. I think the "block" style letters came out in the 40's? Also, the catalog says the outer neon ring was originally green or red..

chev1.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gmstuff
I'm not sure what you mean by the neon shape is incorrect

Not my question, but I think they are referring to the ends of the "bow tie" where the glass is angled on yours and vertical on the other. In my opinion your sign is done correctly.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved