Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41580 Sat Jan 29 2005 11:59 PM
X
OP Offline
X
I just received an Esso 13.5-inch pump globe that I purchased on eBay, and one of the lenses is shattered. Since the package was insured, I can file a claim with the USPS. I am looking for advice on whether or not I should just file for the entire $300 purchase price and turn over the entire globe to the USPS (who I assume will simply chuck it into the trash) or should I keep the globe and file for a partial settlement. Implicit in this question is the issue of whether or not I over- or underpaid for the globe. If I overpaid, then I should probably call it a total loss and get my money back. If I underpaid, then I probably should request a settlement and keep the good lens. The lenses appear to be original (as claimed by the seller). The body appears to be a painted-aluminum reproduction, since it has no threads or bolt-holes. I assume the body has minimal value (it also arrived dented). Any advice on value or other considerations would be appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#41581 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:58 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I feel your pain XOM. I bought a pair of 16-1/2" Tydol lens with body at the Dixie bash last year.

I went into Servellville, Tenn. to a package supply store that ships UPS. I spent well over a $100 in packaging, shipping, & insurance only to have one lens busted up. I called UPS & was told I had to ship it back to the shipping store. When it got there they had UPS come out & they said the box gave out, that it was not strong enough. I told them they didn't have any problem taking the extra money insuring it, but now find fault with the supplies I bought from them. Took 8 months to get my good lens (above) & body back with the busted lens..... go figure....

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 01-30-2005).]

#41582 Sun Jan 30 2005 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOOD LUCK
PCM mag. did a story on UPS shipping & claims about globes. UPS will gladly take your money for ins., but won't pay for breakage.
Scott Benjamin has shipped hundreds [thousands] of globes, so he knows how to pack. UPS still will NOT pay for BREAKAGE.

Next time use USPS and double box the globe.

#41583 Sun Jan 30 2005 08:14 AM
X
OP Offline
X
Thanks so far for your responses, but you'll note that the seller did indeed use the U.S. Postal Service and not UPS. We'll see how the USPS acts with the claim. I have seen posts on other message boards (perhaps eBay) indicating that they act similarly to UPS. They at least let the buyer or seller file from any post office.

By the way, while the globe could have been packed better, it was still wrapped in bubble wrap and then the box around it was stuffed with newspaper. Since the lens itself is convex, which is a naturally strong shape, someone at the USPS had to give the box a heck of a wallop to break the lens.

It didn't help that the USPS forgot to notify me the first time that the package had arrived and then returned it as unclaimed. I'm sure three trips between Ohio and Texas were a contributing factor.

I have a related question. Is there any value to a globe lens that has been superglued back together? I have all the pieces and the breaks are clean.

#41584 Sun Jan 30 2005 08:58 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
"I feel your pain." What a great Bill Clinton imitation!!

I can relate to this post with a couple of my own experiences. I went to last year's fall Dixie Gas and bought a rare Direct Oil sign. Since I flew in, I went to the SAME packaging shop in Sevierville to ship the sign UPS. They were going to wrap the sign in one piece of cardboard!! I insisted on double layers of cardboard (really wanted triple). It cost more but the sign arrived safely with no damage.

I also had an experience last year with the USPS. I bought an old Pam clock off ebay and it arrived with a broken glass dome. I brought the clock and packaging to the post office. Since I was not the mailer, I had to get the insurance receipt from the seller and provide some documentation of value. Once all this evidence was presented, the post office paid me on the spot. Of course, the amount was less than $50 so I'm not sure how smooth the process would be on more pricey items. Keep in mind, the USPS and UPS will deny a claim if the packaging was not adequate.

Here's one last story. A friend of mine used to work as a USPS supervisor for 15 years. He said to never write "Fragile" on a box. Seems there are mean and disgruntled types in the sorting facilities who will deliberately throw them harder to see if they can hear something break!!

Paul

#41585 Sun Jan 30 2005 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tell the SELLER to refund your money immediately. It's the seller's responsability since he's the one that packed and shipped the globe. Tell the seller to file the claim and co-operate with him through the claim process.
The seller will naturally balk at that. Stand firm. If you can't, then at least find out if the seller will refund your money if the USPS claim is denied.
USPS will on occassion make a partial refund if you really want to keep the good lens. USPS will only pay the final sale price plus shipping (if you'fe paid for that much coverage) for an ebay item. In other words, the item could be worth $1000, but if it sold on ebay for $300, then you're only going to get $300 from them plus shipping. It doesn't matter if you paid for $1000 worth of coverage (too much chance of fraud).
Search previous posts for the proper way to package globes. Print out the instructions and pass them along to the seller whenever you buy a globe that needs to be shipped. Don't assume that all globe dealers know how to package a globe properly. I've seen some high risk packaging from guys that should no better.
I've never had a globe get broken that I shipped. I had received a few broken globes though. If possible, specify FedEx or USPS Priority as your choice of shippers. Do not send anything breakable through buster brown. Those guys can (and will) break anything. You don't have to see many globe boxes getting tossed out of a the big brown truck or see many boot prints on a globe box to rule them out as a choice of shippers.
Has anyone had any experience with DHL?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#41586 Sun Jan 30 2005 09:24 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's a battle collecting off UPS!! That's why I bought a policy rom Collectors Insurance. They pay their claims..........

#41587 Mon Jan 31 2005 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
let's hope the broken globe virus is now in you hands and not mine.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved