Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#415935 - Tue May 14 2013 12:56 PM Standard Oil Wind Sock?
K W FRITH Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
Greasyboy 1970 asked me to post this picture of what he believes to be a Standard Oil Windsock. He's wondering if anyone else has ever seen one, or knows the time period when they may have been used>

Attachments
Standard Wind Sock.jpg

Cell#-701-739-6133

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#415942 - Tue May 14 2013 01:38 PM Re: Standard Oil Wind Sock? [Re: K W FRITH]
Greasyboy1970 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: S.D.(Huron)
Any info on this would be very much appreciated!!!! This is the only item I possess that I know nothng about. Years it would have been displayed at airfields? Is this a Standard Oil of California Item? Thank you very much to all who have helped me! I won't forget the favors. Sincerely,Marc (It measures 8' long x 3' at the end with the grommets and 1' at the small end. It is made of heavy canvas and double-sided)

Edited by greasyboy1970 (Tue May 14 2013 01:39 PM)

#416078 - Wed May 15 2013 08:29 AM Re: Standard Oil Wind Sock? [Re: Greasyboy1970]
Greasyboy1970 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

I have received a pm stating that he thinks this windsock was used n the 1930s and was more than likely a Standard Oil of California issued item. Would that make Charles Lindbergh one of the last people to see this old girl in its former glory!? That would be cool smile

#416109 - Wed May 15 2013 11:20 AM Re: Standard Oil Wind Sock? [Re: Greasyboy1970]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Windsocks from different Oil Company's were at every large and small airport across the U.S.

As stated by others; most likely yours, could have/would have been used anytime from the 1930s to the 50s...

I've seen Standard, ESSO, Phillips 66 (from the 60s-70s) windsocks... In photos, I've seen Mobil,Tydol,Texaco and Associated Oil

I had a Shell windsock around here, once upon a time. I don't remember what I did with it....

Here are 2 images from the 'net:

Someday, I hope to have a Tydol and the much rarer Associated Oil socks....

#416141 - Wed May 15 2013 02:37 PM Re: Standard Oil Wind Sock? [Re: Bob Richards]
Greasyboy1970 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Thank you for the info!

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved