Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41630 Fri Nov 22 2002 02:02 PM
D
Dino Offline OP
OP Offline
D
For those that paint your own skins or lubesters. Do you use a single or two stage paint and which manufacturer have you found that makes the closest color matching. I see PPG on some of the boards. thanks Dean

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#41631 Sat Nov 23 2002 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dino, It is your choice on paint. I started with PPG base coat clear coat because I haven't painted till now. My brother is the same way, he just painted a car for the first time and you would have thought he had been painting for years. My friend uses the single stage method mainly because it is cheaper. So I guess money can also be a factor in which way you go. Either way you will end up with the same thing.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#41632 Mon Nov 25 2002 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dino:

I favor the two-stage paints for a couple of reasons (cost not being one though). With the two stage paints, you don't have to lay down much color - just enough to cover your primer. You don't need to be concerned with small imperfections in the color's finish (i.e.: some light 'orange peel'). Then you can add as many coats of clear as necessary to get the shine you require. You also get the chance to 'wet sand' (read: 'fix your screw ups) between coats which makes the whole surface smoother the more coats you add. Once you get the clear on, and sanded - you can rub it out with a buffing wheel and the shine will amaze you.

I really like the fact that some of the paints I use will cure in 20 - 40 minutes. I can then move on to the next stage without waiting for 24 hours for the old type of paints to 'dry'. That's right, the new two-stage paints 'cure'. It's a chemical reaction that sets up the paint - not evaporation of the solvent used to make the paint thin enough to spray like in the old days.

It's also easier to re-apply a coat of clear than it is to match the color later if you get a small scrape that need touching up. Providing the scrape doesn't reach the color or primer.

A WORD OF CAUTION - be sure that you read and follow ALL the manufactures' recomendations for safety equipment. Never, and I repeat NEVER, shoot any two-stage paint without the correct respirator! Some of this stuff will kill you in a few doses. Make sure that you have a safe, well ventilated, environment to paint in. Make sure you keep the rest of the family (pets included) out of your paint area until all the fumes have settled and the paint has cured. Do not mix different manufacture's paint - use all one companies products without fail. This will keep you from having compatibality problems.

Throw away any two-stage paint that you don't use. Putting it back in the can will ruin ALL the paint in the can!

Remember: If you can smell the paint with your respirator on - you have the wrong respirator! Stop, throw away the paint you mixed and go and get the correct protection equipment before starting again.

Hope this helps!

Jim

P.S. I use PPG paints for almost everything except the pinstriping. For that, I use 'One shot'. But you would be better off to hire a pinstriper than to try and learn on one of your freshly painted pumps.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved