Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
TN Volunteer #427941 Sat Jul 06 2013 12:21 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It would be great to know the glass cylinder sizes for the visible's, I know this is a little off course maybe better in a restoration guide, but it would sure help us lesser knowledged

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
TN Volunteer #427942 Sat Jul 06 2013 12:47 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
TN

Your post, the last one since April gave me the chance to review all the above suggestions.

It is very oblivious no publishing company is willing to publish any books like I wrote.

In August I will be meeting with a person who has suggested he might be willing to back the publishing of a third book.

In April, I threw out this post looking for opinions as to what all you guys would like to see in the third book.

I can do a third book, but not without your help. I have purchased all the literature I could find or afford. I cannot pay $50.00 for a piece of literature that will only add one picture to the book, therefore, what I will need is pictures of any pumps you might have that are not in the book now.

When the 2nd book was assembled I submitted 2000 images of gas pumps, the publisher chose to eliminate 100 of them. They didn't ask me if I agreed to the 100, they just eliminated.

So, there, are 100 more pumps for the book. In the last five years I have probably id another 200 pumps and If we extend the cut-off date to 1970, I figure another 150 pumps.

TN has suggested this: think you should put in Canadian pumps in the book. Like Bowser's 2 different twin visibles and the Clear Vision pumps, etc. (I know it would be a lot of work, but think of the fun you would have touring Canada, lol.)

Tn, please send me a unlimited credit card and Cindy and I will leave this weekend heading for Canada. I don't know where I will be going, but with your credit card I'm sure to have fun.

Seriously, SOMEBODY IN CANADA MUST HAVE SOME LITERATUE ON PUMPS THAT THEY CAN CONTRIBUTE.

As soon as I typed this I thought, here come the emails from the European guys wanting pictures of their pumps.

Somebody above suggest pictures of pump painted to colors of the oil companies. Well, back in 1995 when the Bennett Pump Co., closed their Muskegon factory, they invited me to come up and go through their literature. One of the things (I should say, boxes, I got was about 1000 blueprints showing how their pumps should be painted. These blueprints cover the era from about 1928 through 1940. For any given pump, there are about 10 different ways to paint, let say the 810 visible, all Texaco. Where am I going to even look for original pumps still having these paint schemes?

While we would all like to see color pictures of every paint scheme, it ain't going to happen. We need to be realistic when it comes to an ID book. My goal was to help everyone ID a pump, not to show every color it ever came in. Scott and Wayne are doing their best to do that.

Prior to the first book coming out, a guy sent me money for a copy. Then he emailed me asking if his pump was in the book. I said no, and he asked for his money back. I refunded his money, but I also told him that if he wanted to see his pump just go out in the garage and look at it, my book was to ID a pump he did not own.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I must first ask all of you, please look at the cover of either book, it states 'IDENTIFICATION AND VALUE GUIDE."

So, now I need your help. Do any of you own or know of a pump or variation of any existing pump, that is not in the book. If so, would you please send me a picture of that pump. Any and all contributions will acknowledged in the front of the book.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Jul 06 2013 12:50 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Dick Bennett #428183 Sun Jul 07 2013 04:42 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack , your books have been a big help to me. Through the winter up here there is alot of indoor nostalgia,collectibles and swap meets.There's always guys with tons of literature for cars,trucks ect.I will keep my eyes open for pump info from Vulcanizer ,S.S.E , Bowser ,Philip Geis and any others. Dave

Bullitt1 #428190 Sun Jul 07 2013 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, I did a 1-24th scale model of a "Twin Ten " , a weird model known as a Kershaw. Since you don't do P-M's what is the best way I can photograph and send you pictures ? Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #428334 Sun Jul 07 2013 06:35 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No Values.

Real Photos of pumps and lubesters.

Pumps up till the end of the 70's since buyers are displaying them with their 70's cars.

Mike
strnge #428343 Sun Jul 07 2013 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, personally I believe as Mike does (for whatever that is worth... LOL) .... No Values....

By the time the 3rd Edition was completed, "proofed", printed and made avail to the Public...

Such values most likely would be/could be: 8 to 18 months "in the arrears"... Those experienced in the Hobby, should understand that... But, as the past has shown, too many will not understand and will "demand" answers to to why the values are not current...

IMO, much better just to eliminate values completely... Especially the way prices have "roller coastered" in the last few years...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Dick Bennett #428352 Sun Jul 07 2013 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,

Have you ever thought to make a deal with your publisher to have a 'valueless' book connected to a website set up by said publisher/investor with the values updated every so many years that you and he/she determines. Perhaps the website could be maintained by a legit outfit like one of the reputable auction houses for a maintenance fee.

In my former line of work, books on insects and diseases of plants about 20 years ago, stopped making control recommendations because they would change by the time they went to print. Also some control products are not allowed in certain states. Doing this left them more room for pictures.

Instead county extension services across the U.S. would make up booklets or information sheets of controls that could be used with the books, and the booklets would be updated every few years. Now those 'booklets' are online.

Last edited by Nicole; Sun Jul 07 2013 07:23 PM.
Nicole #428390 Sun Jul 07 2013 09:55 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
strnge,

Would love to write a book with that had real photos of gas pumps. I figure, it would probably take me about three years assuming I knew exactly where all these pumps were and I was able to take two pictures per day. Of course I would need your help in letting me know where I can find say, a Wisconsin pump. Also I would need your help with the expenses I would incur during the three years I would be traveling around the U.S. I figure about $150.00 per day for about 1100 days. A round figure of $164,000 would cover my expenses. Of course this is only expenses, someone would have send money to Cindy for household expenses.
From anyone, upon receipt of a check sent to my bank I will set fourth upon this adventure.

It ain't going to happen!

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #428396 Sun Jul 07 2013 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY OLD MAN,
You & Cindy are Retired, both on Social Security, have interest coming in from investments/Retirement Fund[s], Both have Medicare[Obama Care], NO Mortgages, NO Car Payments, NO kids at home [Grand Kids, Maybe] to support, NO student loans.
MOST TAVERNS Here & in Canada have Darts Boards.
You have always said you wanted to see North America & you have Promised Cindy Another TRIP!
LOL

Dick Bennett #428406 Mon Jul 08 2013 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you're going to do a third edition I would leave the value section out as others have suggested. Even if data from completed sales could be accumulated it would soon become outdated.

Not trying to ***** you off Jack, but if you do a third edition, do it with your eyes open. I really don't want to read for the next ten years at what great peril it was to write it, how many people ripped you off, and how newcomers to the hobby under appreciate your efforts. If it isn't going to be a labor of love then what's the point at this stage of the game.

Everyone on this site appreciates your effort and will support it by purchasing it. I have both pump books and the air meter book, they get a lot of use.

Ohio Oil #428407 Mon Jul 08 2013 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
If you're going to do a third edition I would leave the value section out as others have suggested. Even if data from completed sales could be accumulated it would soon become outdated.

Not trying to ***** you off Jack, but if you do a third edition, do it with your eyes open. I really don't want to read for the next ten years at what great peril it was to write it, how many people ripped you off, and how newcomers to the hobby under appreciate your efforts. If it isn't going to be a labor of love then what's the point at this stage of the game.

Everyone on this site appreciates your effort and will support it by purchasing it. I have both pump books and the air meter book, they get a lot of use.

Very well said

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Ohio Oil #428410 Mon Jul 08 2013 05:22 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Hey Jack your damn if you do and damn if you don't. The reason price are put into reference books is to give the reader an ideal of what is rare and what is not. If you look back at books written 20+ years ago, the rare stuff is still higher in value than the common stuff, Jack's book does this for you.

Ohio Oil #428456 Mon Jul 08 2013 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

My vote is also in for eliminating the values. Do a rarity scale instead; if you have to for those that need help with knowing which pumps are collectible. Even though rarity alone doesn't make a pump desirable.

Do it because you enjoy it and not because you want the future generations indebted to you for your efforts. At times, your posts seem to leave the impression that you feel the past and current generations of pump collectors are somehow on the hook.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If there is a 3rd edition
my Veeder Root info could be added for just
the price of recognition of myself suppling
the information.
And you already have a copy of that
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD