Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bud Miley
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
I think it would be good to put the fake and the real signs next to each other so people could compare and learn the differences.

Real Good Idea to show original and repo pics to compare, as everyone isnt an expert like KZ1000! What about the Ford Hanging sign pictured over there? What does the real Ford one look like? Differences etc.. I thought it was going to be Gas and Oil sign pics there?

well unfortunately some of us don't have the real signs to post next to the repo...sometimes the sizes are the same however many of the the differences are in the thickness of the porcelain which is difficult to show in photograhs......

these photos are posted just to make people aware that people are reproducing this particular sign as some of us buyer other signs that are not gas & oil & actually Jim said "Members are encouraged to post images of troublesome signs and gas globes"...if the moderators don't like the photos of these other signs, just remove them

If that hanging Ford sign was an original it woiuld have disappeared very quickly for a buy it now of $785...An original in this condition would be easily $2500-$4500
Like KZ said, we can't do everything for people who don't know the difference, i would think they need to take some responsibility in the research & education it takes to make an educated decision on a major investment.......

Last edited by roadrelics; Sun Feb 27 2011 04:28 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I agree with KZ- You should do research, but some of these signs are getting pretty dam good you have to look hard to see the difference(without holding the sign in your hand). Many are very obvious but some are pretty darn close to the original.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
You can see the obvious on these but looks pretty close in my opinion.

fake tex.jpg real tecx.jpg

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very Few vendors at a show will/would have Repop signs For Sale unless that was their business. GO to shows, make friends, pickup signs an Really look at them. When in Doubt ASK others that are standing around looking at stuff. EDUCATE Yourself, Don't rely on Pay Pal/Ebay to get your money back 'cause you made Mistake[s].

On ebay, before bidding look at other auctions held by seller, check their past auctions, check their Feedback, check their Location/Country. Ask Yourself WHY a seller in INDIA/ Argentina would have soo many American signs?

Ask Yourself WHY any seller would have Multiples of any sign? It does happen but Not to often anymore for someone to have found a Bulk Plant they cleaned out.
EDUCATE,EDUCATE,EDUCATE,EDUCATE, YOURSELF.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm REALLY surprised that MORE signs Haven't been posted on the Special thread that Jim has sent up. frown frown mad

N
N
Any opinions on this Texaco Outboard Motor Oil sign?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neat-Old-Porcelain-T...=item2562fea971

Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FANTASY, completely BOGUS

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even the word "outboard" looks funky.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
N
N
Thanks. That was my opinion as well. Had a guy appear at a show with the same sign along with four 'rare' Speedwell signs among many other newly discovered porcelain signs. He was somewhere out of Missouri.

It is sad that you vets are bitching about listing pics of fakes vs original. i think this would be a very valuable tool for anybody in to this stuff.usually if you know the REAL it is pretty easy to tell the fake!i believe this would be very benefical to the hobby. remember this should only be used as a guideline. if you screw up it is on you!honestly i would like to see somebody publish a book on all known fakes ever to be created.when i got the porcelain enamel advertising guide by MICHAEL BRUNER & saw the coke BRAIN TONIC sign i was in awe. then to find out there was a major controversy about it & others i was floored.a sign that looks this right that could be wrong is nuts.looked right to me. so what are you to believe is true.in short i believe it is up to all of us to help everyone out so theese do not get out & in to collections & back out in years to come.repops are hurting the hobby as a whole.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
You can see the obvious on these but looks pretty close in my opinion.

the replica does not say "USA", and the fonts are badly wrong, too.

jake@aaroads.com

any questions about road signs - authenticity, value, etc - ask away!

the AARoads shield gallery - over 10,000 historic highway marker photos

San Diego, CA - US 80, 101, 395
S
S
Hello I am relatively new to this type of collectible s. I am looking for info on this sign its a 24" round sign that reads "ENARCO C1 MOTOR OIL SIGN". sorry cant post a pic. Was this reproduced and what are some things that will help tell if it is. Thank you for any info you may have...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one hope it helps someone.

1s.jpg

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a sign that I am curious about? 10.5"

Back

I thought some of the letters looked sloppy.

Thanks in advance for any info..

Looking for Johnson anything and Ca gas signs and ?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The plate is good and if thats the price, its a good buy.-IMO

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved