Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416072 Wed May 15 2013 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well I'm getting a refund on this one. Turns out it's not so perfect. Despite the sellers story it appears this is a newer made sign. Too good of condition for 70+ yrs and I'm no expert on fonts (experts chime in here) but was told they are wrong for the period. Finally, very similar to bogus signs that showed up at Iowa several years ago. Too much bad karma for me to keep it.

Perfect.jpg
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think you made the right choice Greg. Something does not look right about that sign.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read your other thread outlining your excitement when you got it and I was unsure of it but didn't want to jump the gun. I also think you made the right decision.

Another example of how even experienced collectors with established collections have to be diligent as well with these reproductions and the BS stories that sellers dish out.

Glad you were able to get a refund. Hopefully the sellers won't turn around and sell it to another unsuspecting collector.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
9 out of 10 times, if there is any type of BS story with the item, it's too good to be true. If you have a good, original item, you do not need to add a story to your listing to boost a sale. In these cases, fool buyers. Size, condition, and the word original will sell a sign.

I have had guys try to sell me stuff, tell me this sign was found in an old shed, blah, blah, blah. Do you think if these guys that keep finding these reproduction signs in old sheds would list a real sign as a reproduction if they found it in a brand new building. I bet they wouldn't tell that story.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved