Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Repops are a "fact of life" in the Hobby...

As I and others have pointed out, they have been around since the first "Gas and Oil" advertising sign was produced... The first time a small Independent and/or Country Store Keeper had a sign painted because it was cheaper than buying a "store bought"... Repops/fantasy's were born...

Now with such a new large market, mainly because of TV... "Fakes" will be coming out of the "woodwork"... oops... they all ready are....

It is good that Hobbyists are looking out for one another. As long as items are made over-seas and by folks here in the US that could care less... They will never be stopped!

But, I hope all here, "will keep swinging".. Whether at a Show, Ebay, CL, Oldgas or a next door neighbor... Some of those who are purposely selling fakes, will feel the heat and leave the marketplace... For those who don't know they own a fake, hopefully they will not have paid a "small fortune" for something really worthless...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my contribution, today, to keeping repops from being taken as originals.
The lenses came with the Boyle and Dayton visible I have. A previous owner of the lenses took and painted a black stripe over the inside and outside of both lenses where the manufacture date of 11-24-1988 was printed. I carefully cleaned and scraped off the paint so this was the result for both. Now not hidden or painted over and easily seen when close enough to the globe.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I recognize the attitude of the op, used to happen about once a month around here.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

LETS START with the Vendors that advertise on oldgas that are selling Reproduction/Fantasy Items that are NOT MARKED as Reproduction/Fantasy. Hopefully they will Require all their Suppliers to Permanently Mark Repop/Fantasy Items. The Movement has to start somewhere.

I've often wondered this same thing!!! Nicely said DB.

Do major venders of this stuff put any demands on their suppliers? If not, they need to start!!! I don't want to name anyone in particular because I am new to all of this and may not get it exactly correct. But it seems to me that there are plenty of retailers of fake stuff. Is this stuff identified in any way?

Like the manuf. date on Daves globe lenses. Is this more the norm to see dates on such a piece or the contrary?

Last edited by SC62; Thu May 23 2013 05:54 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This one was in the classic car dealership on 2nd?? in downtown Spokane. It is like mine, a repop that is marked with a date from the late 80s and I commended them on it! They were making no attempt to sell it as a original or to cover up the date.

Having the set of lenses that I do and seeing the above globe and after doing some work to uncover the repop date and seeing the huge repop problem that is kicking all our ***** on here and everywhere in the world of collecting antiques,,,
,has started to make me think there needs to be a different approach or a different way of looking at repops by the leading collectors and dealers like the great folks on here and other sites and in the collecting world in general.
I think that we in this hobby need to start to give a higher value to these clearly marked, older reproduction pieces. I'm Not saying that they should be valued anywhere close to a original but,
IN MY OPINION,
if it is "made" cool and more valuable to to have a piece that is a clearly marked older repop it might provide the right incentives to the manfactures of current repops to corectly date and or label their pieces. Or it might protect the originals by providing just enough incentive for them to start repopping the repops.???
This is just a starting thought on my part and I know there might be a bunch of new probs that crop up that I'm not thinking of and it might become a moot thought, but to me, this thread and the theme of this thread and MANY others are proof that this problem needs to be approached in a different, more positive way in order to promote and preserve this hobby somehow.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that I've expressed another opinion on here, DON'T take it as a reason to call me (again or for the 4th time) without caller ID and start screaming at me and cussing me out because something I wrote rubbed you the wrong way.
I have a thick skin and it's actually funny to know my insignificant opinion rattles someones cage that much! I record them so I can post them if I need help identifying the voice, so, if you do it again, don't be surprised when you hear yourself screaming and acting like a fool, all over the WEB!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Keep up the good fight, many many of us are behind your efforts and appreciate what you are doing.
Ray Seider

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
I recognize the attitude of the op, used to happen about once a month around here.

wink

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I fail to understand the need for recognition or validation seeked by the original poster. If you are fighting a crusade that is near and dear to your heart and one that you feel is a worthy cause then why be so confrontational and demanding? Do it because you want to and don't expect anything in return from anyone.

Let the host decide where you posts belong. We are all guests and should act as such.

I fail to see the need for you to be jostling to stay at the top of each forum. I clearly understand and support the logic behind your post being moved.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i know there a few here doing there best to help with this problem and are having some good results and this can be done behind the scenes & with out needing to be reconized or to be validated for doing something good for the hobby.......

just post these reproductions being sold as originals in the proper place (known and suspected reproductions} then everybody knows where to look and then report the problem ...

Last edited by roadrelics; Fri May 24 2013 01:29 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You clearly do not understand anything. The member replies have kept the posting in the top.
You also don't comprehend the devastating effect the forgery/fake items are having on the hobby in general. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not to mention the sour taste the poor new collector has when he finds out he just spent thousands on what he thought were original "rare" pump signs. Or wonderful ice cream collectables. Maybe he got burned on fake license plate toppers.

Your perception of me looking for recognition and validation is laughable. 30 years of buying and selling this stuff is all the validation I need. I sure don't need recognition from you. Whatever little bit I do to slow the crooks down is the only motivation I have.
When I see the number of views this post has had, I say it must be in the right place.

If you don't like what I have to say don't read it.

Last edited by ddkinsey; Fri May 24 2013 07:26 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
can you tell which one is fake???????

Last edited by Watchdog7; Fri May 24 2013 10:06 PM. Reason: To remove Non Petro Items
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
We all agree that reproductions or a horrible thing to not only our pocket books but to historical archives as well, and I for one am thankful people are fighting the good fight against it, but I thought your original post was to complain about your older posts being moved.

What I think Jack should do is expose this problem and possibly give it it's very own category so people don't have wade through hundreds and hundreds of unrelated posts before they can find posts from members exposing these frauds and thieves.

Oh, wait a minute, he already did that, and yet you complain when your posts of reproduction alerts are moved to the category SPECIFICALLY for that. And then you insult Jack insinuating he's "part of the problem".

We do appreciate your diligence on keeping oldgas members informed and we pretty much all agree that this is a terrible problem, but, well, what Dave said:

Quote:
I fail to understand the need for recognition or validation seeked by the original poster. If you are fighting a crusade that is near and dear to your heart and one that you feel is a worthy cause then why be so confrontational and demanding? Do it because you want to and don't expect anything in return from anyone.

Let the host decide where you posts belong. We are all guests and should act as such.

I fail to see the need for you to be jostling to stay at the top of each forum. I clearly understand and support the logic behind your post being moved.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe the vast majority of the collectors and dealers that peruse Oldgas would agree that they are grateful for your efforts. I personally think you are shooting yourself in the foot by coming across as controlling and whiny and condescending in your rant. I think Mark meant Jim P. in the above post. If you dont like what Jim (or any moderators) do with your posts, just start your own web sight, then you can put them where ever you want. If you hang around this sight long enough you will find that he is more than a fair moderator. And a truly good human being. You are not the only knowledgeable collector on this sight that can spot a repop. Many of our collections are affected by this scourge. Again,I, personally, respect your efforts and the energy you are putting forth but IMO this thread is having a retroactive effect on your crusade.

Last edited by JimT; Sat May 25 2013 04:22 AM.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Originally Posted By: JimT
I believe the vast majority of the collectors and dealers that peruse Oldgas would agree that they are grateful for your efforts. I personally think you are shooting yourself in the foot by coming across as controlling and whiny and condescending in your rant. I think Mark meant Jim P. in the above post. If you dont like what Jim (or any moderators) do with your posts, just start your own web sight, then you can put them where ever you want. If you hang around this sight long enough you will find that he is more than a fair moderator. And a truly good human being. You are not the only knowledgeable collector on this sight that can spot a repop. Many of our collections are affected by this scourge. Again,I, personally, respect your efforts and the energy you are putting forth but IMO this thread is having a retroactive effect on your crusade.
Agree!

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
https://www.facebook.com/FakeSignsAndSellerFrauds?ref=hl

Here is a Facebook page that is helpful. They call out anyone they can find and encourage people to do the same.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved