Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417619 Wed May 22 2013 06:54 PM
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
how many different brand oil bottles did they repro ive been buying all different kinds duraglass,shell, tiolene ect how can i tell a real from a repro
any help would be great.
mark

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
any oil bottle collectors out there to help me

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You need to contact Ron Throkmornton who lives near St. Louis, Missouri. He is the foremost expert on oil bottles for our hobby and writes all the articles for Check the Oil magazine. I'm at work right now and don't have his number, but if you google "Check the Oil" magazine, go to the website and look for his information there. Hopefully that helps you out sir.

Kind Regards,

Goober
P.S. I feel your pain, I had to contact him because I got burnt on a cobalt blue Tiolene Pure bottle when they first started repopping them, just look for the chinese symbol on the bottle, I felt like an *****.

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
You could go take a quick look at 5 Quart Don's site, www.oilnspeed.com as he has a pic on how to tell the Tiolene originals from repros in his oil bottles for sale section.
There are TONS of repro bottles and jars on the market right now. You probably should have asked your question before buying them, unless you haven't paid much for those you have bought! I would say the majority of the quart jars with printed labels on Ebay right now (and lots of these have already filtered into the antique shops) are fakes/fantasy items.
It would probably be easier to post pics of the ones you do have for opinions of authenticity. I think that's why you haven't had any responses to your question as there are just so many of them out there that it's easier to tell you what is real than what is repro. I never thought I'd see the day when the Standard of Indiana bottles were reproduced, but low and behold, they're out there now. There was an ample supply IMO before the repros, which will more than likely ruin the market for originals now. These are easy to tell though, the originals have a mottled glass background in the circular logo, while the repros are smooth in that area.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ok thanks pm his number when you have a chance, ive bought a few bottles over the years looking to complete a few racks, i have and have the option to buy a large lot of nos bottles in the orginal box dont want to make a mistake

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
With Ron Throckmortan's permission I wrote an article for "Check the Oil" mag about 6 or 7 months ago.

The reason I asked Ron's permission is that he is the expert when it comes to oil bottles, but because I felt he was overlooking a great area (the creation of the oil bottles, who made them, etc.) I wrote an article.

My article started with the first bottle, and went on to date and id all the bottles that followed. These bottles were not the ones that you could identify with a particular oil company, these were bottles you would find in a rack.

I can't answer your question about how many repros there are out there, actually I don't think anyone can, but if you are looking for info on these bottle, I suggest you join "CTO" (actually I suggest you join (subscribe) to anything publication you can.

Those of us who write these articles don't do so just to see our name in print, we are trying to help you increase your knowledge of petroiliana, so you don't have to come on any website asking questions.

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat May 25 2013 12:15 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Marky,

Call Me I have Ron's info. I met him at Hershey last year. He's a great guy and a unlimited source for information on oil bottles.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved