Next Thread
Print Thread
#42023 Fri Jan 30 2004 10:31 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I live northeast of Wilmington NC in a small community called Currie which is in Pender County. Starting this past Monday we got hammered with record ice and 30% of pender County was without electricity for 1 - 3 days. Unfortunately I was in the 3 day catagory. My ritual was to fill the generator with gas every midnight before going to bed so we would wake up to a normal world. Murphy's Law here, Tuesday night I went outside, grabbed the 5 gallon gas can and started unscrewing the gas cap on the generator. It immediately stopped and my world went totally dark. I scurried around the garage, found a flashlight and after 5 minutes of troubleshooting figured out that the low oil safety killed the spark (like it's suppose to do). I knew my wife was freaking out upstairs so I wanted to get this baby up and running ASAP. My half *!#*# flashlight I found made looking for my oil tough because my shop is junked up due to the fact I'm getting ready to move it to another out building. For the life of me I COULD NOT FIND MY MOTOR OIL!! All of a sudden it clicked, I bought a case of 60's vintage Havoline motor oil in metal cans to hang on to. Knowing exactly where that was I grabbed a can, topped the crankcase off (3 oz., can you believe that??) and she went right back to work. GOD, I LOVE THIS HOBBY!! Sincerely, Neal Dunn gpf

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#42024 Fri Jan 30 2004 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Neal...Great story..Thanks for sharing it. Havoline to the Rescue...whooohooo. COOL. Way to keep the lights on you quick thinking gas pump freak. Thumbs up my friend

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#42025 Fri Jan 30 2004 11:02 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
& your wife was probably wondering what you bought all that old oil for!?!? LOL!!!!!
THATS A GOOD ONE! id have done the same!

a guy i know pretty good races dirt track & he said some guys came from out of town & parked next to him in the pits & they plopped down a big box full of shell oil cans & started popping an old oil spout into them & were changing oil before the feature.
he said hey where'd you guys get that old OIL? they said they bought 100s of full cans at an auction & they use it in the stockcar all the time!!! LOL!
they gave him a few full ones & he picked up the empty cans that they had left! LOL!!!!!

#42026 Fri Jan 30 2004 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL..thats a good one too Tommy...right on.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#42027 Fri Jan 30 2004 11:21 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I was at an auction and there was a bunch of Aero-Shell in cans, and there was a couple guys looking at it..maybe 70 - 100 cans. So I asked if they were going to bid on it and they said yeah, I said what are you going to do with it?? The guy says I want it for my airplane. I said if you outbid me, I will buy the cans off you, he said we will see.

Anyway when they got to the oil I ended up high bidder.. it was around 75- 125.00 with of course a buyes premiun..anyway.. about 1/2 of what I would have paid! The other guys that were interested, one turns to the other and says, " Did you know that guy bought it just for the cans??"... The other guy looks at me like I am retarded and just shakes his head..LOL

I think they didnt even go a buck a can..LOL.over half the cans were in good shape but later ones from the 60's or70,s

Still havent cleaned about 30 dirty ones.. 5 years later..dodogas

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved