Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bob Richards #420716 Thu Jun 06 2013 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Bob, I'm not so concerned with whether or not Texaco and Mobiloil had a jointly branded sign...I think they did - I know I've seen those signs before now...and I know from experience that company historians (with few exceptions) aren't nearly as precise with their info, nor as focused as some of us are on historical accuracy...

...the main 'red flags' to me are (1) the eBay seller that is providing jgoff's signs seems to have multiples of signs that normally wouldn't present themselves in multiples...and (2) the fact that they're coming from Argentina...the $#@& in Buenos Aires must be getting better at his work, after so much practice...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Jun 06 2013 01:13 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Dave's Garage #420719 Thu Jun 06 2013 01:15 PM
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I've found it interesting reading these posts, and wasn't going to chime in cause I'm by no means a sign expert, but Dave's Garage makes a very good point in his last post. I lived in Chile for a little over two years from 2002-2004. During that time I was looking CONSTANTLY for gas/oil stuff to bring home with me...and I was in large cities, small country towns, antique shops, flea markets, etc., etc. I never saw ONE original sign. Four or five pumps (I shipped home a really weird visible), a number of ECO 98s, but NEVER an original sign. As I think about it, the reasoning Dave's Garage gives (re-purposing of metal, late advent of cars, etc.) makes perfect sense for why this is the case. Obviously this isn't dispositive of the issue, but it is a good point.

petropumps #420733 Thu Jun 06 2013 02:06 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great discussion.

Piokat81 #420739 Thu Jun 06 2013 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree also Piokat, I want to see what the verdict is , got to soon leave for work and will miss all the excitement , you got any popcorn?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
47reo-travis #420742 Thu Jun 06 2013 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I contacted Dan Matthews asking when he first ran across a NAFTA Texaco/Vacuum sign?

He told me, he sold one in '97...

I may be totally out in "left field"... But, why hasn't this signage been "covered" before the late 90s.. ( as I said before, I have became "familiar with this sign" as of the last 5 years or so)...

I still can't wrap my mind around the "lack of mention" of what would have been the largest Joint Venture in the "Oil Business" at a time when the US Supreme Court was still going after Standard Oil and the "Baby Standard's"...

When the Texas Company and Standard Oil of CA formed Caltex, they announced the Joint Venture in "Every Trade Journal" throughout the World... This was in 1936... I can not imagine, that Texaco would not have done the same thing; announcing such a venture with Vacuum(Mobiloil)?....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
jbrooks #420749 Thu Jun 06 2013 03:22 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: jbrooks
not trying to stir the pot here but El Zahir has been a member on here for 1 week?

I noticed the same thing.

He has only the one single post and it is about this topic.

He is also from Argentina.

I'm just making sure everyone has the big picture.

Mike
strnge #420750 Thu Jun 06 2013 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
His Pms are full?

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
petropumps #420751 Thu Jun 06 2013 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I passed on this sign for the "foreign" reason and it went for around $275 and I don't know if the buyer got boned or not because I could not confirm anything about it, even by checking thru the "Gargoyle God" on here! wink Thanx agan Richard! I believe it was Italian tho.
I am drooling over the reverse color Ford sign that he has for sale but again, it's foreign and I can't afford to take a chance.

I've always wanted to make a trip to South America to hunt for relics but after reading the stuff above from the people that have been there for extended periods of time when there was no one hunting for this stuff, I would not be looking for any signs and I don't think I could get past looking at all the gorgeous Latina Ladies!
So, I stay away from the foreign signs unless I come across a Canadian sign/s because I am somewhat close to the border and I know there will be some crossover of that stuff and I can't wait to come across it!
Kevin was doing the right thing by sharing his question of authenticity with us all and I have learned quite a bit from this thread and am very glad he started it. He also did it in a correct way with out making accusations but instead sharing his concerns with us all.
I am also very glad that we have a world wide membership on here of like minded people that try to help each other out more than attack each other. Folks like Nucky really help all of us identify european signs and I really hope that someone with experience joins here from South America, SOON!
With the seller saying he was pulling that sign and is willing to pull any others that there are questions about, I believe that he is trying to do the right thing and if he follows thru with those commitments, then in my mind he has done what needs to be done until they are found to be authentic or not.
If they are found to be fakes, then I hope he also chooses to do the right thing by marking them as such and from his actions and words, I believe he would do that.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
oldnfuelish #420752 Thu Jun 06 2013 03:34 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
His Pms are full?

That is kind of weird.

TOM
Gargoyle #420764 Thu Jun 06 2013 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Seems strange that both Guido and El Zahir are both from Buenos Aires, Argentina!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #420771 Thu Jun 06 2013 04:32 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
You can type any location you want into your profile

El Zahir #420773 Thu Jun 06 2013 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: El Zahir
Hello, I'm new here and reading this topic I could find this information.
In my opinion the sign is original, I know perfectly the signs in Argentina and Uruguay.
Hope this pictures can clear the issue.
Regards.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=es&...dFurT0wHgyYH4BQ

The Google search for TEXACO item pictures on the internet or even old pictures of stations where signs were in use DOESN'T Prove that signs being sold are IN FACT THE REAL DEAL & Not REPOPs, as some of us suspect.

tomzcollectiblez #420828 Thu Jun 06 2013 07:06 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I don't get mad about questioning the signs sir. The thing was people weren't questioning them or saying anything to me they just make a post about it without saying anything to me. I also don'r know who this known sign seller is that is a known bad seller. know one has told me anything about this until now. i obviously need to find out some more info if i am missing something here.

BryceG #420832 Thu Jun 06 2013 07:15 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
ok i understand that and just because i don't post anywhere besides on the classifieds does not mean i am fishing for buyers. I just don't have tons of time so the time i do have i use buying and selling i haven't been a member on here forever. I would gladly tell someone more info about a sign if they wanted to know and are interested in one. I didn't think i have to write every detail on the first thread because that would take a long time i would just answer any questions when anyone has them. my ebay PERCENTAGE IS 95.5%
I START WITH A HIGHER PRICE AND AM WILL TO NEGOTIATE THAT'S HOW THE SELLING ANF BUYING PROCESS WORKS ANYONE WHO SEE'S A SIGN ON HERE IS WELCOME TO LOOK AND SEE IF I HAVE IT ON EBAY ALSO. TIME IS MONEY ALSO SO I WILL GO DOWN ON PRICE AFTER TIME PASSES AND I HAVEN'T SOLD A SIGN. THIS IS HOW I D IT AND EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO IT ANYWAY THEY CHOOSE. LIKE I SAID I HAVE NEVER SOLD A SIGN ON HERE TO SOMEONE THAT WASN'T HAPPY WITH THERE PURCHASE. SO YES CALLING ME SHADY WAS UNCALLED FOR BECAUSE YOU ARE JUDGING MY BUSINESS WITHOUT EVER DOING ANY BUSINESS WITH ME AND THATS NOT FAIR IN MY BOOK!

tomzcollectiblez #420836 Thu Jun 06 2013 07:18 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS GUIDO GUY?
YES I HAVE BOUGHT SIGNS FROM HIM AND DO BUSINESS WITH HIM AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY ISSUES WITH HIM. iS HE NOT A GOOD SELLER ?? WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH HIM AM I MISSING SOMETHING??
IT IS AMAZING HOW PEOPLE ARE SO CONCERNED ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE BUSINESS WHEN IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THEM WHAT SO EVER.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved