Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host

Some company History:
In 1898, Frank Seiberling established the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio.

The company was named for Charles Goodyear, the man who developed vulcanized rubber. Seiberling borrowed 3,500 dollars from a brother-in-law to purchase the company's first factory. Goodyear originally employed thirteen workers, but the firm quickly emerged as a leader in the production of rubber items, including bicycle tires, pneumatic carriage and automobile tires, horseshoes, and hoses. By 1926, Goodyear was the largest rubber company in the world.

David Hill, who purchased nearly one-third of the 100,000 dollars worth of stock that the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company issued in 1898, became the company's first president. The company went through two additional presidents before Seiberling became chief executive in 1906. The founder of the company remained as the firm's president until 1921, when an economic recession prompted him to resign. Seiberling personally developed the company's logo -- a winged foot -- the same logo that the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company utilizes in the twenty-first century.

Goodyear led the industry in the development of new products. In 1903, the company developed the first tubeless automobile tire. In 1909, the firm branched out into the aviation industry, producing the first airplane tires. Before this point, pilots primarily utilized bicycle tires on their planes. Three years later, Goodyear produced its first blimp. In 1919, the firm also developed the first bulletproof gas tank for planes. The company continued to lead the industry in creating new products throughout the twentieth century.

While the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company prospered, its workers sometimes suffered. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, factory workers faced poor working conditions, low wages, and almost no benefits. This was true for the workers employed by rubber manufacturers in Akron, Ohio, such the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, B.F. Goodrich, and Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. In an attempt to alleviate their conditions, workers established a union named the United Rubber Workers in 1935. The following year, this union organized its first major strike within Akron's rubber industry.

The strike began as a protest against a plan created by Goodyear to reduce wages and increase the pace of production. The workers utilized the concept of the "sit-down" strike. In the past, when workers went on strike they would leave the factory to join picket lines. Company owners often hired "scab" laborers to cross the picket lines and continue production. The practice of using scab labor made it difficult for striking workers to obtain their demands. In contrast, in a sit-down strike, workers quit working but still occupied their places within the factory. This process meant that the factory owners could not send in additional workers to continue the job. In addition, factory management was more reluctant to use private security forces or other strikebreakers to intimidate the striking workers, as that approach threatened destruction to plant property.

In addition to the sit-down strike, the rubber workers also organized long picket lines in protest. Akron's mayor, Lee D. Schroy, attempted to send in the police to put down the strike, but the police officers refused to do so when they faced the thousands of organized workers. In the long term, the rubber companies were forced to recognize the United Rubber Workers and negotiate better contracts with workers. One immediate success was a six-hour workday.

Several reasons existed for the workers' success in this strike. First, sit-in strikes made it much more difficult for employers to replace their striking workers. Equally as important in this strike was the federal government's recent passage of the Wagner Act. This legislation made unions legal for the first time in United States history. Finally, the United Rubber Workers belonged to a larger organization, the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). The CIO consisted of an umbrella organization for multiple unions. These unions worked together by providing both moral and material support to CIO-member unions, especially when these member unions went on strike.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess I will start it off this month. Here are the Goodyear items I have.

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Thu Jun 06 2013 06:31 PM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I love all of the stuff in the 4th picture!!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a few that I have on my computer, I'll get some others tomorrow..

good1.jpg photo 1.JPG good3.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice signs guys. These are the two I have.

goodyearflange1.jpg 2x6goodyear.JPG
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Not a lot of Goodyear

001 (550x413) - Copy.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a few signs.

rsz_007.jpg rsz_bs_signs_nov_12-28.jpg rsz_gy_tufsyn_tin_tire_insert.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Few more.

rsz_good_year_vertical_ssp_bs-1_.jpg rsz_goodyear_dsp_hanger-1.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the only goodyear item I have:

IMG_1423.JPG

Got Socony???

Tom
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a few more smalls.. Sorry for the lousy pic of the tacker sign..

good4.jpg good5.jpg good6.jpg good7.jpg
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Some nice stuff everyone keep em coming

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Some photos from shows I have gone to:

Mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There were 2 versions of this sign made by GoodYear. The one pictured above was the blue version and this is the green version that they made much less of. Not mine but I plan to own one some day!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a few tin-tacker signs I have picked up in the past.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Collecting most things related to Cities Service, Galena Oil, Hi-Speed Gas, Sunoco & Richfield.
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Posting these for a friend:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved