Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#420961 Fri Jun 07 2013 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I always knew that if I held on long enough, this Cities Service stuff would be worth a fortune! This ad proves it and I'm ready to cash in! Where do I go! LOL
ebay# 271218554959
or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1960s-C...=item3f25e2b84f

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
haha... I saw that when he first posted it... there has been a good couple of ads for cities signs recently fishing for outrageous pricing.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Would you take a check????!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you can put a price on anything!.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other listings reveal other high/over priced signs.

Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1920s-G...-/271208000142?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Other listings reveal other high/over priced signs.

Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1920s-G...-/271208000142?

isn't that a beauty.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey, I want some of what he be smoking !!!!! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: eshaver
Hey, I want some of what he be smoking !!!!! Ed Shaver

it must be "HIGH" octane.. cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I see there is one offer Kevin. So what did you offer him? grin

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I saw that. I thought to myself, "boy! I'm glad I bought that one of off Kevin before they went up 10 times in value!" Lol

Jason Howard
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Ed , he must be smoking la la weed , although nice but wow 5k !

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Darn! Looks like one I sold years ago, should have kept it. Got another one tho, says Cities Service PRODUCTS, must be worth a lot more. Taking bids.......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This seller has had some other stuff priced way out. Reminds me of another e-bay seller(I won't name him here) that I see at Iowa gas every year who sometimes prices things way up. I have purchased a few items from him and consider him a friend but when asked about his pricy stuff he told me and I quote: The way prices are going up your going to pay that for it in the near future.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wish it was Foreign.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wonder if he will buy mine?

csgas.JPG
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well... (This is my first posting ever by the way).

Look, first of all i agree with most of you. My prices may be high, but that is why i have everything up for best offer. Im not looking to get rich off this stuff either as some people may think. The average person probably thinks i get this stuff for cheap or next to free! I pay a lot of money for my signs, and especially living in the tri-state area; trust me i pay the price. And im sure i dont have to explain all the taxes, fees, and expenses that go along with selling on ebay. just because i list the item at a high price doesn't mean im looking to receive an offer thats really close to what im asking. If somebody makes a fair/reasonable offer then chances are im going to accept it. Quite frankly, it honestly doesnt matter to me if i sell this Cities Service sign because i like it so much, but if somebody wants it bad enough then by all means can they make their offers. Please also keep in mind that i get extremely lowball offers on items everyday which is one of the reasons why i must inflate the asking price. Im working on a creating a website rite now where i will be selling my items and prices there will be a set "buy it now" and you will see how much less expensive and more realistic prices will be.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to be contentious at all, but when an item (anyone's) is priced at what most of the oil and gas community (no, we aren't the gods of value around here, but the aggregate of members do buy (and sell) an awful lot of signs, etc.) considers to be QUITE high, it is hard for a potential buyer to know at what price point his (serious) offer will be considered to be a lowball offer.

Since this is your first posting, welcome to the community. Just a couple of pointers (NOT accusations). If one is here merely to shop for pricing, it will be seen through very quickly. Contributing to several (or a few) of the different forums occasionally will lend credibility and acceptance. Lastly, develop a thick skin and don't take too much personally.
Again, WELCOME to Old Gas!

Dave Richey

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why not just list it as an auction w/ a Reserve?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Thank you sir. I appreciate your welcoming to the petro community

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
It is very expensive to put a reserve on a sign in the high hundreds or thousand dollar range. Although I will not say what I am willing to accept on this sign, I will say this; my accepting price is no where near the 5 or 4 thousand price point...my list is high because I receive so many 2 or 3 hundred dollar offers and obviously this sign is a little rare. This sign is not in any of the major collectable books.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I was about to post that he's at it again with this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sunoco-...e#ht_601wt_1012
Then I saw your first post and I have to give you some cu-does for at least stepping up to the plate and defending your position. That doesn't mean I agree but I still respect you talking about it.
You seem to have some nice pieces and at a quick glance your not pushing repops, which will get you castrated in these parts, (although the experts on here can speak more to this than I).
Anyway, some nice signs. It would just be nice to see the prices set at your minimums and then let the market take them up from there if that be the case.
Just my 2 cents.
P.S. This Sunoco piece, although rough, is damn cool!!! But I'm of course bias!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Not a rare or valuable sign and that $300 you're sneering at is in the ballpark, in my opinion but hey, who am I?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Terry-- I've owned 3 different ones in the last 5 years and I truly believe that to be a $600+ sign. It would never top $1000 at any swap meet in the entire US, but I have learned a couple things over the years, and one is that ebay is a strange place--the other is that you can never get a high price for something unless you ask it, even if its wrong!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Could be correct but that sign will never pull $600 out of my wallet. Most of these what I call regular signs, nothing fancy about them, I think are over priced. It has become to some that b/cuz it's porcelain it worth a lot. Just my thoughts. I only go back about 30 yrs in collecting this stuff so what the hey?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, It would look Good on your pickup SNOW PLOW!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Steve, thanks for the compliments on my items... Just like all of you know it isnt easy to find this stuff. Especially for a good price at your nearest show or swap meet. (at least for me). I spend hours building leads, making contacts, and driving ridiculous lengths to find some of the stuff i have up for sale. I will take your opinion into consideration though.

By the way...I just got in an 11ft DS porcelain sunoco sign w/ original bracket. If anyones interested. Im even offering shipping, which barely anyone else does on these large signs. I know though whatever i put it up for i will probably be ridiculed for but i guess thats just the cost of doing business.. If someone wants to contact me directly about a sign please feel free to email or call me. Check REDHOTRELICS.COM for info. (prices on site will be lowered significantly soon, since the site is still under maintenance).

My name is Anthony

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anthony, welcome to Oldgas.com! Better, than asking too little. At least, you can barter your way down.

Only advice, I can offer is:
You are probably aware already if you have been reading the threads last few days. Just don't buy any signs in Argentina and try to resell them here...they're fakes! smile

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I looked at your website and saw a lot of nice signs and see your in business, good thing. This country needs small business people. You may be just a picker/flipper out for the buck. Lots of people do that. Do you have a collection of signs etc that are not for sale? There are some on this site that are here only for sales and have high end petro goodies and collections, all part of petro land now. It's part of living in the USA. Only one thing gets my attention that 5 grand sign,would you really take that for it and sleep well knowing what you paid for it?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Dave, i started buying and selling about a year ago. I recently bought a small collection from a collector near my house. At that time i wasnt familiar with India or Argentina signs. It winds up that i bought a handful of them due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge and wound up getting burned. I heard that this has been a serious ongoing problem in the petro community and only recently exploded within the last 6 months or so. Im pretty sure that i took any questionable sign i had down from my listings, if theres anything else up there please let me know. I am ready to do my part though and help take action on the matter of the foreign signs.

-Anthony

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Why not just list it as an auction w/ a Reserve?

Well said, db! (you beat me to it).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Terry Flannery
I looked at your website and saw a lot of nice signs and see your in business, good thing. This country needs small business people. You may be just a picker/flipper out for the buck. Lots of people do that. Do you have a collection of signs etc that are not for sale? There are some on this site that are here only for sales and have high end petro goodies and collections, all part of petro land now. It's part of living in the USA. Only one thing gets my attention that 5 grand sign,would you really take that for it and sleep well knowing what you paid for it?

Maybe I'm also a flipper out for the buck-I buy things I don't collect and resell them hoping to maximize the return on my investment. Now, I plow that money back into the collecting community by buying what I collect with it. I sleep quite well when I make a high return on investment. It is simply nobody's business what I paid for an item I sell, just as it is none of my business what a seller paid for the item he is selling me. Believe you me, I've sold many a 1 and 2 dollar item for a hundred bucks, just as I've bought items for a hundred bucks that netted me SIGNIFICANTLY less than I paid for them.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved