Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gulfiend! #421858 Tue Jun 11 2013 02:12 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Next time I find any pump complete you gonna pay me 30-40% more than the market pays for a gutted version? If you're not willing to put money in my hand for the extra grief why should I call you first when I get a pump? No reason whatsoever.

...what I want to know is: if you're literally doing nothing but moving an extra 150-200 lbs. from one place to another, and that alone justifies a 30-40% markup (on a $500 pump, that's another $150-200), what markup does the 'extra grief' of actually gutting the pump justify?

LOL - As a picker I don't remove the pump myself, it's too much trouble. I tend to look for pumps where it's already been removed because they do sell quicker, are easier to move, and can carry more of them as necessary. But if you want me to handle a pump-included unit then you should pay me more for my grief.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Cold Pizza #421859 Tue Jun 11 2013 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For over 20 yrs I've used the same gas pump motor to power my 9" South Bend Metal Lathe. A friend re-wired it to run both directions. I've run it long enough that you couldn't touch the casing, let it cool some & run again!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Jun 11 2013 02:15 PM.
Dick Bennett #421893 Tue Jun 11 2013 03:34 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Great idea for the motor. Ingenuity like that is what has made this country great, the ability to see beyond a created purpose.

In all seriousness, I worry about people who get wound up in everything remaining original, especially when tens of thousands or millions of an item were created. The human mind can appreciate both the original as well as a modified form. We aren't speaking of a Mona Lisa class of item here. And you can bet the guy who designed a gas pump in the 20s never envisioned a person 90 years later willing to buy it just for display in some collection. He would laugh at such a thing you can be sure.

I think the creator of a 1940s Gilbarco electric pump would be more jazzed by Dick's use!

gulfiend! #421902 Tue Jun 11 2013 04:18 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

...what I want to know is: if you're literally doing nothing but moving an extra 150-200 lbs. from one place to another, and that alone justifies a 30-40% markup (on a $500 pump, that's another $150-200), what markup does the 'extra grief' of actually gutting the pump justify? [/quote]

That says it all right there folks !!!

carolinaskies #421903 Tue Jun 11 2013 04:20 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Next time I find any pump complete you gonna pay me 30-40% more than the market pays for a gutted version? If you're not willing to put money in my hand for the extra grief why should I call you first when I get a pump? No reason whatsoever.

...what I want to know is: if you're literally doing nothing but moving an extra 150-200 lbs. from one place to another, and that alone justifies a 30-40% markup (on a $500 pump, that's another $150-200), what markup does the 'extra grief' of actually gutting the pump justify?

LOL - As a picker I don't remove the pump myself, it's too much trouble. I tend to look for pumps where it's already been removed because they do sell quicker, are easier to move, and can carry more of them as necessary. But if you want me to handle a pump-included unit then you should pay me more for my grief.

All about the buck. LOL

blacktee #421965 Tue Jun 11 2013 06:28 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I find it ironic that some collectors think pickers are all about the buck, yet they will willingly pay some other collector more for a similar piece. Some may attend an auction and overpay for something that I could have saved them more than Buyer Premium on.

Anyway, done with this topic.

MATT ALVAREZ #421967 Tue Jun 11 2013 06:34 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a bunch of pumps all original and all with guts that work. Every time I rearrange the garage or need to do something in there and have to move the extra 250 LBS I think *****!! Why am I doing this to myself? Even though they can, I will never use them in my collection to work again. the dilemma remains what to do?

Last edited by Maxgas; Tue Jun 11 2013 06:36 PM. Reason: wording / spelling

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Maxgas #421978 Tue Jun 11 2013 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please YOURSELF, Very Few could ever please someone else using their money [or taking it].

carolinaskies #421998 Tue Jun 11 2013 07:29 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I find it ironic that some collectors think pickers are all about the buck, yet they will willingly pay some other collector more for a similar piece. Some may attend an auction and overpay for something that I could have saved them more than Buyer Premium on.

Anyway, done with this topic.

WOW

VERY WELL SAID.

blacktee #422041 Wed Jun 12 2013 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Agreed... i love it when the pickers I know send me a text or email with pictures of things before they list them for sale, so I have a chance to make an offer.

I see no difference in buying/trading with a picker as compared to doing the same with a collector or auction. I would imagine any collector on here would become a picker if someone called them up and said 'come take a look at what I have and make me some offers'

I personally just try to buy or 'pick' enough stuff to trade or sell so that I can get the items I want to keep without dipping into my daily income funds.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #422089 Wed Jun 12 2013 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have pickers stop by my place regularly and sell me items. I'm always grateful when they do and always let them know that I appreciate the fact that they stopped by.

I don't mind them making money or the fact that they are in it for only the money. They are usually making less on the item compared to what it would cost me to take a day off of work and the cost of travel and meals.

I find it easier to buy from a picker then a collector. Much easier to fork out a few extra bucks and motivate a picker. Much more difficult to overcome the emotional attachment that collectors have. Plus you have to pay the collectors markup as more then likely the piece originated from a picker at some point.

Bottom line, it's signs I collect. Not personalities or peoples reasons for selling or the depth of their attachment to money...who cares about that. Sell me a sign and I'll overlook your shortcoming's! laugh

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #422173 Wed Jun 12 2013 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, I'll trade ya a 36B Top for a Station Lighter I don't have!
Better the S.L., Better the Top.

Dave's Garage #422182 Wed Jun 12 2013 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My friend that will be doing the paint and stuff on my Dual parking meter build, just finished 2 Wayne 70s. 1 has the side ad glass and the other does not.(pictured)
They will be going BACK INTO SERVICE, at a undisclosed location for a farm that has a amazing collection. (I was told because I have not had the privilege of seeing it,,,,yet???)
,, the but is that they will use the veeder root and the pipes but a modern pump will be installed so, even a completely restored pump that is actually going back into service somewhere will have different guts.
I always leave them in because the first pump I had, I went to all the trouble of takng the guts out just to have the guy pick them up out of my yard art area and take them with the pump. If someone wants me to remove them I might.?

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved