Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#422915 - Sat Jun 15 2013 03:10 PM Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig.
minuteman Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Big Sky Country
The repro porcelain jar rack sign that Stencilwork makes would be hard to tell from an original UNLESS you have an original to compare to....then it is easy to spot the fake if side by side....I have pictures of both here for future reference as I'm sure there will be more coming in the future....the lettering and color are off quite a bit...the S in oils seems to be a problem with the repop as it intersects with the diagonal line...last but not least the original is ink marked "The W. F. Vilas Co. Ltd."
in bottom right corner.

Attachments
orig red ind (Small).jpg

Description: Original sign

repop red ind close (Small).jpg

Description: Stencilwork repop

#422928 - Sat Jun 15 2013 04:45 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: minuteman]
Curtisstewart Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Windsor ON Canada & Detroit MI...
Do you have a picture of the back of the reproduction?

#422931 - Sat Jun 15 2013 05:02 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: Curtisstewart]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
Im sure "stencilwork" watches this site......

#422948 - Sat Jun 15 2013 06:28 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: Curtisstewart]
minuteman Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Curtisstewart
Do you have a picture of the back of the reproduction?

No i dont as i never bought one, but then you wouldnt hang it with the back facing out would you? lol
You have what you need to tell the difference, i dont see what difference the back makes thats all...mm

#422950 - Sat Jun 15 2013 06:34 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: 57tbirdkid]
minuteman Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
Im sure "stencilwork" watches this site......

Your point is? Are we better off with buyer beware and I take it off here, cause I can if you like....as I know the difference, just trying to help out the uneducated...mm

#422952 - Sat Jun 15 2013 06:37 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: minuteman]
coopersplace Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Very good info. This should also be in the Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album. Maybe one of the moderators can place it there as well? Cheers, Don.

#422961 - Sat Jun 15 2013 07:04 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: coopersplace]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
Kim nothing agaianst you..education is important in the right hands...but if they are wacthing,..educating the repro people only helps improve the product.

#423565 - Tue Jun 18 2013 01:28 AM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: 57tbirdkid]
minuteman Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
Kim nothing agaianst you..education is important in the right hands...but if they are wacthing,..educating the repro people only helps improve the product.

thats true.... but he must have had an original picture to start with i would think....time put into quality just isnt there, or perhaps close is good enough to fool most without exerting too much effort....mm

#423654 - Tue Jun 18 2013 01:54 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: minuteman]
K W FRITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
Thanks for posting this Kim!
Cell#-701-739-6133

#423665 - Tue Jun 18 2013 04:01 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: K W FRITH]
Jerry Westfield Offline

Loc: Orlando Florida
Clearly the best way to sale reproduction signs is to list them for sale from India. Those eBay sellers in India are like Elliott Ness in The Untouchables!

#423729 - Tue Jun 18 2013 09:21 PM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: Jerry Westfield]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
IMO you are doing the right thing MM. We need to get this information into the hands and minds of the potential buyers. Informed people are wise buyers. Wise, informed buyers is what is going to hurt these forgers.

They could make all the signs they want overseas. That won't make them money. They make money when the local crooks buy them and then turn around and sell them locally to unsuspecting buyers. We need to own the problem and lay the blame where it belongs. It's the local crooks that are the greater problem and the root of this threat. I would imagine the local crooks are the ones providing them with details of what signs to reproduce.

#423800 - Wed Jun 19 2013 08:47 AM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: Dave's Garage]
K W FRITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
Right on the money Dave!
Cell#-701-739-6133

#424704 - Sun Jun 23 2013 08:03 AM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: minuteman]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: canada
What about these Kim,,,, think they are repro,??,, no name on them.. might even be the one you bought from me,,,
Then there is always these rack signs, what do you think of these Kim,,, no name on any of these,,, how about where the "S" in Oils is,,, shall I go on and on, I have owned approx. a dozen of them either in oil racks or single pieces,,, I have more of them you want to see more,,

Attachments
IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

side four (2).JPG

side three (2).JPG

Edited by Wes Hague (Sun Jun 23 2013 08:48 AM)

#424730 - Sun Jun 23 2013 09:54 AM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: K W FRITH]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of other rack signs, no makers name on them either,,

Attachments
Red Indian aviation rack sign sold $1100.jpg

Red Indian double sided oil rack sign sold $1340.JPG

#424733 - Sun Jun 23 2013 10:03 AM Re: Red Indian Repro (Stencilwork) VS Red Indian Orig. [Re: Dave's Garage]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Here are some more RI signs, no makers name on them, these are all signs I have owned and sold,,

Attachments
26x72,bid to $5700US SOLD.jpg

side two.JPG

Edited by Wes Hague (Sun Jun 23 2013 10:05 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved