Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#422042 Wed Jun 12 2013 05:05 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Unfortunately, we in Colorado Springs are are involved in another massive and destructive fire today. I was involved in the disastrous Mountain Shadows fire last year and yesterday an 8000+ acre reared up in the Black Forest area which is northeast of town, heavily wooded and many people live there.

There might be many collectors in the area I am not aware of who they are, but one I do know is Chuck Spillar (HemiBird). Chuck lives just to the east edge of the Forest and I spoke to him last night and they were next for mandatory evacuation.

Please keep Chuck, his family and all of the residents that are in involved in this in your prayers. What a sickening feeling to see this happen again.

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
That is not good news. Hopefully everybody keeps safe!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
60 homes burnt so far acording to the news. Hope all is well with oldgas members.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sending my most positive thoughts to all going though this in my Native state!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
KCNC Denver TV CBS news is now reporting perhaps 100 homes may have been lost and over 7,000 people have been evacuated from the Black Forest area. High winds are making the fire very difficult to contain and are pushing fire towards more homes in that area.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to our good neighbors to the south.

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike and Chuck and all the other OLDGAS members out that way, prayers that you are all safe!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mike, thanks for getting word out to everyone.

All, We ended up evacuating about an hour after you and I spoke on Tuesday evening. The fire made its way mostly south on Tuesday but made a turn to the east (towards us) late Tuesday evening. The County Sheriff showed up in our driveway around 11:00 PM with an evacuation order and directing us to get out. Fortunately we had already started the process of gathering essentials (pictures, important documents, etc). We’ve been at our friend’s house since.

So far the winds have kept the fire away from our house but as Mike pointed out in a conversation we had last year, it doesn’t make me feel any better knowing it means some other family is displaced and lost a home….a sentiment that I can completely relate to.

There are other collectors/friends who live in the Black Forest area that may be impacted. Marty Phillips is one of them whose house is closer to the hot spot. I haven’t been able to connect with him yet.

I'd like to extend a thank you to all the Old Gas friends (both local & national) who have reached out via email or phone calls to check in and see how we were doing, offer assistance, and most of all offer prayers. Please continue to pray for the families affected and the fire fighters and law officials who are working so hard. Law enforcement is at nearly every intersection controlling access to evacuated areas.

Here’s the latest based on this AM’s news update..
15,000 acres burned so far
360 homes lost so far
Nearly 100,000 acres evacuated and growing
0% contained frown

Last edited by Hemibird; Thu Jun 13 2013 10:07 AM.

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ugh. I pray the fire stays out of the grasslands. Yesterday the smoke was so thick even at 40 miles away the car wash attendants where wearing dust masks. What a horror this must be for all who live there.

If you need anything Chuck, you know I am ready. I will even do a sneak in with you to grab more stuff if needed.

Scott Wright
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My sister in Colo. Springs sent me this link to the fire updates if any of you are interested.
http://www.krdo.com/news/wildfires
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the many people affected by this horrible fire.
Rod

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Area Map of where homes were lost;
Map

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF a Wildfire of Tornado is headed your way, Be sure to call & cancel your Direct TV. Then it's they're fault for not recovering their equipment before it's Destroyed!
Direct TV B.S.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That doesn't surprise me at all with Direct TV. My blood pressure usually goes up a few points whenever I have to call them for anything!

A quick update from the Black Forest, we are now back in our house and our area is now on pre-evac notice as of late Friday night. I haven't seen today's news conference yet but as of Saturday at noon they were at 45% containment!

I know of one local collector who lost his home which included some rare gas pumps and collector's cars but he and his family are safe. Last update I heard was nearly 500 homes destroyed as of yesterday.

My hat's off to the law enforcement and military for keeping the neighborhoods safe. I felt like I was back in Iraq with all the Humvees and military checkpoints all over the place. They did, and are continuing to do a great job keeping looters away.

The attached photos are from Tuesday afternoon approx 6-8 hours before we were told to evacuate

IMG_20130611_200956_257 (1024x577) (640x361).jpg IMG_20130611_210032_392 (1024x577) (640x361).jpg
Last edited by Hemibird; Sun Jun 16 2013 07:20 AM.

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you don't feel so secure in the first place about your home, having one less thing to worry about helps! Glad law enforcement/military is there.

Hope they get the fire under control %100 soon!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had three employees, who were displaced, because of this fire. I also had three employees, who were called to duty, because of this. Even as a company, we were also called out, to assist the Elbert County Sheriffs Office, at the evacuation center.

My heart goes out to those, who have suffered so much, during all of this. It was heart wrenching, talking with both customers, and employees, at the evacuation center. I can honestly say, that I was completely torn up, hugging a long time Elbert resident, and telling her, that it was gonna be ok.

Of my employees, one was on the Fire line, one was transporting evacuees, and one was working Animal Rescue/Evacuation, transporting displaced animals. Even my home was open for the evacuated animals. Because of this, even one of my part time employees, took time off of his regular job, to help us out.

Since Wednesday, I told my employees, to "Be safe" as they performed their duties. I was brought to tears, as I hugged Kenny, as he was leaving for a Fire Call on Thursday. Without any emotion from him, steely eyed, I watched him drive away to answer to his call.

My gratitude goes out to my customers, who shared this burden with us. But more so, to my employees. Thank you Kenny, for your duties on the Fire line. To Kate, for her duties in the evacuation efforts, to Nicole for the animal rescue/evacuation efforts, to Mike for picking up the loose ends as we all ran around crazy, and to Jarred for the extra efforts in checking the fence and the pens for the animals, during these troubled times...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Chuck,
Very happy for you and your family.
It is unbelievable we have had two major fires during the past year......truly sickening!
Had an employee lose everything. By the time he received the call to evacuate and arrived home, the fire was within 100 yards of his house. He lived 2-1/2 miles from the point of origin and it was at his house in approx. 2 hours.

I personally know at least two dozen people that are either ex-employees, friends and/or people we do business with that lost everything. This is a double hit because so many people ran businesses from the same property they lived on due to the size of their lots. And, It is amazing only two people lost their lives during the fire storm....thank God.

Again Chuck, so glad you and your family are all OK and you had your home to come back to.

Mike

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved