Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
That is why it is up for best offer. I am not expecting to get near 2k for this sign.
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Did you see the "Rare" Invader tacker sign for $2K Buy It Now? The sign is riddled with cracked, chipped and peeling paint. There's more crack on that sign than the streets of Detroit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Early-I...=item3f26095f97

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Whats up with selling all the reproductions as originals redhotrelics? Look in his completed items and feedback and see for yourself...
redhotrelics completed listings
reproduction OK sign you sold for $540
$540 repo OK sign

Repo Pennzoil
Plus several other VERY questionable signs...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Curb service coke never made in that size by coke. Cobalt blue coke never made by coke.

Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
Whats up with selling all the reproductions as originals redhotrelics? Look in his completed items and feedback and see for yourself...
$540 repo OK sign

Repo Pennzoil

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Sir I am confronting you in a professional manner here on old gas. I joined these forums to be part of this awesome community of collectors. While I am absolutely no expert like yourself, I do try my absolute best to determine if a sign is original or not. You do not have any right to dictate or complain about pricing my signs because they are my property and not yours. Now most Collectors I have done business with have said that I paid fair prices for these signs. These signs are not cheap. How I choose to price them and what I accept for them is not your business.
$540 repo OK sign

Repo Pennzoil

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I pulled questionable listings before...look at what I pulled.

I had the Rexall, the gargoyle, the elephant kerosene.....I pulled them because through research on these forums i found out they were foreign. Those signs are what is tarnishing this hobby unfortunately. If their are any other signs that are questionable currently on my ebay listings please let me know. Guys, That is why i signed up on here........

thank you

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
REFUND their money! If you really truly are down with doing what is right, REFUND THEM! Then do your homework BEFORE you sell bogus items next time...problem solved...

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Like I said before, If I have any questionable signs that you think are foreign or fantasy on my ebay right now just let me know.I am not here to argue with you sir, I am on here for knowledge.
REFUND their money! If you really truly are down with doing what is right, REFUND THEM! Then do your homework BEFORE you sell bogus items next time...problem solved...

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ok, redhot since you jumped in .Do you admit that you have sold reproductions in the past unknown ,or known to you at the time that you sold them ? Are you saying that you have no reproductions on Ebay right now ? The main reason I question the 15" Texaco is because you are the seller .I have been watching your items for a long time.If you are the reasonable person that you are holding yourself out to be( and by the polite and gentle tone of your responses I believe that you are).You will at least admit that you have sold many questionable signs in the past .If you only sell authentic signs I will become your biggest defender .So convince me that you will only sell authentic signs in the future .

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I am no expert on any sign ,but all I can say is that I have looked all over google .I have searched books,past sales on Ebay .I have asked numerous collectors .I have never seen an authentic 15" Texaco where the Black outline goes under the green T .I have never seen an authentic 15" sign without the red triangle in the A .The Graphics on your sign are exactly like the ones that were being sold on Ebay not long ago,right down to the date .The only difference is that the mounting holes are rotated.It is ironic that people on here were commenting about the bolt holes being wrong and the back being too shiny on the other signs .And Lo and Behold a 15" Texaco with the exact grapics (down to the most minute detail)shows up on Ebay .In almost mint condition -no less .With the bolt holes rotated,and minus the glossy back .But still the red triangle is missing .Lets just say I wanted to copy someones sign ,and fix the mistakes someone else made .I would just simply buy a mint condition fake sign .I would then have high quality photos made of the fake sign.The things I could not fix would be the graphics ,because they would be photos .Now I could pay a graphic artist to remove the offending lines from under the green T,but that would cost a lot of money .I would just figure people are probably too stupid to figure it out ,since my sign would fool almost everyone .Everyone except someone who has an inquisitive mind ,and would do hours and hours of research anyway . So just let me say congratulations to you You really do have something rare -the only one exactly like this that has can be found anywhere-and in almost mint condition.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's the nicest one TEXACO never made . . .

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
After discovering and joining this website and gaining some more knowledge about the signs that I was selling I had determined that some of the signs I have sold in the past may have been foreign. I think this is a problem in this hobby. As many of you collectors may have been burned in the past so have I apparently from buying from another collector. When I list an item i need to make a determination if a sign is original or not. Now going forward I come on here first and post a picture of the item i am about to list. If you look under the general topics thread I made a post 2 days ago about a Ford sign i was about to list. I asked the OG community if it was original or not....I am trying my best and I know this is a hobby where everyone knows everyone. I would hope all of you understand. As an example I was at a swap meet a few weeks ago and I met a bunch of older collectors, these guys gave me an education. I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge just by talking with some people from this site. I am determined to help stop foreign signs be sold on ebay, it is polluting the marketplace in my opinion. As I have said before if i have anything questionable I will pull the listing.signs
Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
Ok, redhot since you jumped in .Do you admit that you have sold reproductions in the past unknown ,or known to you at the time that you sold them ? Are you saying that you have no reproductions on Ebay right now ? The main reason I question the 15" Texaco is because you are the seller .I have been watching your items for a long time.If you are the reasonable person that you are holding yourself out to be( and by the polite and gentle tone of your responses I believe that you are).You will at least admit that you have sold many questionable signs in the past .If you only sell authentic signs I will become your biggest defender .So convince me that you will only sell authentic signs in the future .

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Oh and by the way I wondered why the small Texaco signs have the black outline going under the green T ,and the 15" signs do not .So I went to a sign shop and asked an old timer .Turns out that the outline is under the Green T for a purely mechanical reason on the small signs .They had problems with the Green frit running when it was fired on the small signs .putting the black outline under the green prevented the green from running .On larger signs the green was more stable ,because of surface tension .Amazing what you can find out -if you don't mind looking stupid for a few minutes .A wise man once told me .It is much better to appear stupid for a moment -than to be ignorant forever.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
So then are you saying it is 100% original in your professional opinion?

Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
I am no expert on any sign ,but all I can say is that I have looked all over google .I have searched books,past sales on Ebay .I have asked numerous collectors .I have never seen an authentic 15" Texaco where the Black outline goes under the green T .I have never seen an authentic 15" sign without the red triangle in the A .The Graphics on your sign are exactly like the ones that were being sold on Ebay not long ago,right down to the date .The only difference is that the mounting holes are rotated.It is ironic that people on here were commenting about the bolt holes being wrong and the back being too shiny on the other signs .And Lo and Behold a 15" Texaco with the exact grapics (down to the most minute detail)shows up on Ebay .In almost mint condition -no less .With the bolt holes rotated,and minus the glossy back .But still the red triangle is missing .Lets just say I wanted to copy someones sign ,and fix the mistakes someone else made .I would just simply buy a mint condition fake sign .I would then have high quality photos made of the fake sign.The things I could not fix would be the graphics ,because they would be photos .Now I could pay a graphic artist to remove the offending lines from under the green T,but that would cost a lot of money .I would just figure people are probably too stupid to figure it out ,since my sign would fool almost everyone .Everyone except someone who has an inquisitive mind ,and would do hours and hours of research anyway . So just let me say congratulations to you You really do have something rare -the only one exactly like this that has can be found anywhere-and in almost mint condition.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well redhot ,I am so happy to hear that you are going straight .I guess you will be taking the 15" texaco off now .You know -just to make sure that you don't unknowingly sell a repop.Just until you can get an appraisal from someone like BlackTee who specializes in Texaco .After all -you are going straight .You don't have to worry about your sign losing value .After all -it is one of a kind

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Then I will pull the sign right now, no problem. You have officially convinced me.

I appreciate it

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved