Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#423474 Mon Jun 17 2013 05:35 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Is it fake? It has the black outline all the way under the green T .It is dated 3-30 .A lot of people jumped on a Texaco 15" that was almost like this one not long ago .Why is no one jumping on this one .Is anyone sure that it's fake ? Is anyone sure that it's real . Is anyone besides me willing to admit that they just don't know .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have no idea myself, I came very close to making a deal on it.. If it's original, its in great shape!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's an original. It's WAY over priced (you can pick up a near mint one for around $300).

The back of the sign tells the whole story.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
But, on the other 15" sign that was just like it a member said that the black outline is not supposed to go under the green T . I think someone said the date should not be on it .Did we get someone elses sign kicked off unfairly ? When I asked about it Ddkinsey sent me a message and said it was a pump sign that Texaco never made .I am a little confused here .How is one sign authentic when it has the exact thing ( black outline under the green T )that a member cited as the reason the other one was fake? Either the black outline can be under the green T ,or it can't .Either this sign is fake ,or the person who posted about the black outline going under the green T did not know what they were talking about .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you see the "Rare" Invader tacker sign for $2K Buy It Now? The sign is riddled with cracked, chipped and peeling paint. There's more crack on that sign than the streets of Detroit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Early-I...=item3f26095f97

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Texaco didn't make their own signs (they did make their own cans however). They had regional sign makers make their signs, and you will find small difference like that in their signs (where the black outline doesn't follow all the way around the T).

In 1930 Texaco started to date their signs (when they switch their design to REG T.M. from REG U.S. PAT OFF). 3-30 signs were fired on porcelain, and after that some had ink stamps fired on the front of the signs too.

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Mon Jun 17 2013 06:35 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Texacopumpdog,

Take a look at this thread from last year. We discussed this signs in depth (I posted pictures of a few of my signs to show differences).

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=343471&page=1

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lets get this correct.....I never emailed you about any Texaco sign. The only Texaco sign I have made a comment on was the 12" petroleum products that everyone on oldgas told you was never used and is a fantasy. I don't know enough about these small round Texaco's to make any judgment.
thank God they aren't reproducing the 6 footers yet.
Seems to me enough people have told you the facts on these.

Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
But, on the other 15" sign that was just like it a member said that the black outline is not supposed to go under the green T . I think someone said the date should not be on it .Did we get someone elses sign kicked off unfairly ? When I asked about it Ddkinsey sent me a message and said it was a pump sign that Texaco never made .I am a little confused here .How is one sign authentic when it has the exact thing ( black outline under the green T )that a member cited as the reason the other one was fake? Either the black outline can be under the green T ,or it can't .Either this sign is fake ,or the person who posted about the black outline going under the green T did not know what they were talking about .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You are almost as funny a DB LOL

Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Did you see the "Rare" Invader tacker sign for $2K Buy It Now? The sign is riddled with cracked, chipped and peeling paint. There's more crack on that sign than the streets of Detroit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Early-I...=item3f26095f97

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
could someone please post the steps on how you can ignore someones post on here so they never show that members posts or comments?? i think im going to need it. thanks chris

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ddkinsey , I thought you were talking about the 15" sign .You sent me two messages .One said something like "it was a sign that was never used". I had been asking about the 15" sign so I assumed thats what you were talking about the 15" sign . The other was something about fake mugs .

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jamie you seem to be very knowledgeable about Texaco signs .Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the guys like me who are just learning.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
My rule is texaco 15inchers should not be dated and should have REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. Not REG. T.M. Dates come on smaller ones. Look in some of the books about porcelain signs. I'll say it again, I'm not an expert but I have done the research and have found this to be true for many years. 15 inch texacos have been reproduced recently, I would bet that the dated ones are done that way to make the unaware buyer think they are old.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
This has been an ongoing discussion for a while. I have had a few offers on it but people are still very unsure if it is real or fake. I totally believe it to be real. If it was questionable I would have pulled the listing a while ago.
Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
Is it fake? It has the black outline all the way under the green T .It is dated 3-30 .A lot of people jumped on a Texaco 15" that was almost like this one not long ago .Why is no one jumping on this one .Is anyone sure that it's fake ? Is anyone sure that it's real . Is anyone besides me willing to admit that they just don't know .

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I have it priced high because of the lowball offers I recieve, what I accept is no where near my asking price.
Originally Posted By: J.E.Radebaugh
It's an original. It's WAY over priced (you can pick up a near mint one for around $300).

The back of the sign tells the whole story.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved