Petro Enthusiast
R
Update: Just pulled the listing

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well Redhot, I am not a professional appraiser .But since you asked I will give you my opinion .I think your sign is a 100% reproduction .I think that someone copied the other 15" sign ,rotated the holes ,and made the back less glossy .I think your sign is missing the red triangle because it is a copy of the fake .I think it has the REG. T.M. because it is a copy of the fake .I think it has the date 3-30 because it is a copy of a fake .I think that someone saw what was being said about what was wrong with the other sign on here .I think that someone tried to improve on the other fake sign .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't know why I'm trying so hard on this thread, but it bothers me when I see an original sign tagged as a reproduction.

The holes weren't rotated to make it appear different. 15" Lubester signs had holes at the 10,2,4, and 8 o'clock position. Pump plates had holes at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock position.

8" Lubester signs had two holes (12, and 6 o'clock). 8" pump plates had holes at 12, 3, 9, and 12 o'clock position.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn this thread is confusing. I think I'll start collecting beanie babies

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
James I don't know who to believe anymore. I feel like no matter what I do I'm always wrong....I just pulled the sign I'm just not going to sell it. This is not worth the headaches. Everyone thinks they are an expert and its a he said she said argument....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got a bunch for ya, Rick! grin pretty sure they are original!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know if it will help any, but heres a pic of an original I own. Since there were different sign makers for Texaco, I believe there could have been discrepancies between 2 of the same signs done by different manufacturers. I have seen that before.

Westland Oiler 001.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I just looked at the sign in question, There is no doubt it is a fake.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Redhotrelics,
I do appreciate your honesty and your attempt to make things right! We are all watching...
One thing you will learn in this hobby, Your word is all you got!
Lastly I didnt wanna comment on the 15 inch texaco because I didnt know for sure...I knew for sure on the repo OK and pennzoil signs!
Texacopumpdog, why are you climbing into every conversation without a clue?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I am just trying to come on these forums and be sincere with you. Its like clearing the air. Any questionable signs I am willing to pull
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
Redhotrelics,
I do appreciate your honesty and your attempt to make things right! We are all watching...
One thing you will learn in this hobby, Your word is all you got!
Lastly I didnt wanna comment on the 15 inch texaco because I didnt know for sure...I knew for sure on the repo OK and pennzoil signs!
Texacopumpdog, why are you climbing into every conversation without a clue?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jamie ,I know that you know a lot about signs ,but you will never see an original like this one .It is just this simple -he has the only one .It does not have the triangle in the A .It has a black outline under the T .No one has ever put an authentic one like this in a book .There are zero real ones on google .Google has the most comprehensive photo collection on earth .If there were real ones someone, somewhere ,would have taken a photo .I did not say the sign is fake .I said I think that the sign is fake .I laid out the reasons I think the sign is fake .I responded to a person who sells questionable signs as a matter of course .Also I know about the different holes for the pumps .I would have mentioned that I saw both hole patterns in a book .But ,if I had ,someone would have said I was wrong .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have one just like it that was pulled off of a lubebster in New Hampshire.

I bought before they started reproducing 15" Lubester signs, so I know it's an original.

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Tue Jun 18 2013 07:57 AM.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
OMG the patients are running the asylum

That sign is 100% real and 100% indicative of a lot of problems on the "eBay" portion on Oldgas.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I really feel this comment is uncalled for for. You are purposely mocking and provoking which is in profession in my opinion. I do not peddle multiple quantities of duplicates repros or foreign signs like many other eBay members do. I am right here trying to be transparent with everyone. At least I have the balls to join the discussion on these forums. Any sign that was sold in the past that was a foreign sign was due to lack of knowledge. As you can see right now I pulled this sign....a sign I paid 400$ for thinking it was original. I am eating the 400 because it is the right thing to do because according to the majority of old gassers they say its too questionable.
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
I got a bunch for ya, Rick! grin pretty sure they are original!

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I started this conversation .I did not climb in as you say .And I did the research to prove my point .No one was willing to state that this sign is fake ,until I laid out what I think is wrong with it .He pulled the sign .if it was real wouldn't it be worth fighting for? Some folks say signs are fake without any reason .I have never said it was fake .Tomcollectiblez ,I get in conversations because I am looking for the truth .Tankar ,thank you .You are the first one to call the sign fake .Some people just think they can say whatever they want without the facts to back it up .If someone says a sign is fake I want to know why .If they say it's real i want to know why .And ."I been collecting 35 years" doe's not explain how one knows something .

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved