Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Working on a GB visible this week , I have went through a gallon of aircraft stripper since the start of project . I coat the parts then pressure wash and have done this 3 times now to try soften and remove paint and this does help some but slow process. Now I am on my 4th bag of silica sand , this paint was sun baked I guess and had multiple coats of brushed on paint. Most panels like on the 50,s pumps my blaster takes off super fast , but this stuff you can hold on one spot for 10-20 seconds before it will strip to the metal. I called a machine shop in se Mo. with a large hot tank and they refused to tank them due to clean up issues. So after the long story I give you all , what approach and methods is there besides what I am doing ?Any HELP , suggestions or ideas I will be very appreciative of . Thank you . Travis.

DSCN0522.JPG DSCN0523.JPG DSCN0524.JPG

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
All of the methods you are using are absolutely horrible for the environment.

Aircraft stripper being power washed off is going to put that harsh chemical back into the ground. Silica sand should not be inhaled or left on the ground.

I would either take it to a professional media blaster, or get yourself some real media and blast it for yourself. I use a product called fine blast. There are many abrasives that will cut that paint off, just be careful and control your heat.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Should have used a Needle Gun or scraper on the real heavy stuff before any stripper. When using stripper, do it in shade or better yet apply at night & let sit till morning. Then scrape off & dispose. Finish w/ a blasting & prime to prevent rusting.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with DB....Never use Aircraft stripper in direct sun...And dry scrape when at all possible.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think that's what will happen with the next pump is outsource this part of the process , this is a hobby only for me and this kind of takes the fun out of the hobby part with this much work . I have wondered about the environmental issues as well . I have been pressure washing in a grease trap but the sand has not been contained , I think I will research around the St. Louis area and just find me someone who can chemical strip, or media strip and this will just have to be part of the added cost involved in a pump , but will make my life easier , Thanks Ryan .

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I didn't see your post Dick and Keystone till I posted the next post with Ryan . A needle scaler would be a great idea . I am 70percent done but it has been a tough finish. And that may help a Lot , needle scale it then put on the stripper.Thank you guys for the tips.

Last edited by 47reotravis; Thu Jun 27 2013 09:31 AM.

Im not trying to talk you out of doing it yourself, just be careful with harsh chemicals, especially if you have kids or pets. I know that aircraft stripper is expensive to dispose of correctly.

When you start to get aggressive (coarse) with media, the by product is heat. You can damage sheet metal pretty quick if you are not careful by not knowing how to control the heat. There are some media blasters around here that are pretty inexpensive, I am sure there are some in your area.

Once blasted or stripped, be sure the metal is clean and put a good coat of epoxy primer on everything asap! Bare metal will start to rust the second it is stripped.

Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Go to Lowes and get the Orange Citrus stripper. Paint on and cover with cellophane and let it work. They also sell a rinse which I use after the stripper with a scotch brite pad.

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No ,I totally Agee with you Ryan and I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question and looking out for me , but for sure I do not like this part at all , and that stripper is way high almost 50.00 a gallon in my area and sand isn't cheap either for sure . The environmental thing has been in my mind as well , I think you have a very good opinion there, and thanks again to mr youngs union as well for the lowes tip . Like I said I asked for help and you all give me some good info , but i dont think its worth ones time and cost of materials to strip something like this if your not set up to do so. If I can have it done at a fair price and it will be better for my health , that's what I am going to do . I have for sure been wearing a respirator and hood on this round but that silica sand I was told can mess your lungs up bad so my mind is made up on the big jobs . Once again thanks everyone for the good information.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The FUN is when you DIY, Start to Finish.
IF your not having FUN, then buy Restored items & Pay for someone Else Having FUN/Business!

Lay a tarp down & recycle your sand a couple of times, also easier to clean up. Play sand is not as Harsh as Silica & takes a little longer.
I use BIX Stripper, much cheaper & works well for me.

I agree that the fun is doing everything that you can. Just be safe. If using silica sand WEAR A RESPIRATOR!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Use to be a place here that done chemical strip. Had a container to dip a whole car frame in. Done this to a couple of race car frames to ck for cracked welds etc. Works great. EPA walked in and they had a hose ran out the back door and shut them down.

If you can find someone that still has tanks its the way to strip . JM2CW.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
O
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
O
Electrolysis for paint removal pain free,easy to do .

mona mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce

If you can find someone that still has tanks its the way to strip . JM2CW.

Loyd, do you have a Formula so I can use my neighbors POOL?
I Think it's approx. 12,000 gal & he is a Snow Bird so won't be back till Winter! cool

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember that some of these chemicals can kill a septic system, may wreck plumbing and should not go into a sewer (curbside or house).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved