Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#426208 Sat Jun 29 2013 10:05 AM
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
I received these photos and story from Janet Radke Kissling:

"Ray Kissling has spent a lot of time this past year restoring the Mobil Service Station at the corner of 5th & Van Buren Streets, Huntingburg, IN. Socony Vacuum Oil Co., purchased the property in 1937 and in 1939 remodeled the building, making it the first station with an indoor hoist in Huntingburg. Shown in the black & white photo are Bill Radke (father of Ray's wife Janet), a partner in the business operated as Heitz & Radke Service from 1950-1959, and Ed Alpers, past Mayor of the City and a daily visitor at the station. When Norbert Heitz retired in 1959, Bill Radke became sole proprietor of Radke Mobil Service until 1970 when it became Kissling Mobil Service operated by Ray Kissling. Ray operated the station approximately 14 years. We now spend a lot of time looking for any old Mobil oil can or any Mobil advertising item to fill the shelves."

kisslingmobil-2.jpg
Heitz & Radke Service

kisslingmobil-1.jpg
Kissling Mobil Service today

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you think about it , the "Indoor hoist" really was a great improvement . I remember in doing the research on the Quality Oil company , Shell officials demanded that the service be done INDOORS as opposed to having lubrication work and tires serviced in a "Lean To Shed " as was the case for the eight Shell shaped Shell stations that were built in North Carolina . I'm currently doing research on an Atlantic refining station that was built at the corner of 17th and East Broad street here in Richmond Virginia . I'm told it too had only outside service until the late thirties . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved