Next Thread
Print Thread
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I read in a previous post that the manifold/conduits received tar as a waterproofing agent. I would like to reuse the pre-bent conduits. How much tar is inside the conduits? Can I heat up the conduit pipes with a hand-held torch and it will flow out? I assume breathing protection will be in order when heating the conduits.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know what it is. But it's not tar.

There is only a small amount of it at each end of the conduit. I usually just chip it out with a hammer and a small chisel. I then rewire the conduits with new wire.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definitely dont breath that stuff when heated.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are rewiring the pump,Take a torch (outside and be careful to not breath the fumes) take a pair of vise grips and grab and lock it to the old cloth covered wire sticking out.Heat the pipe with a torch and it should pull out in a glob.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
It was so hard and brittle that I drilled it out with a 1/2" wood bit (wore a dust mask). There was only one plug of it in the bottom of the manifold; on the supply side to the lights.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The compound is an early dielectric compound. It has been found to be carcinogenic, so you did right by wearing a dust mask... You still got some of it in your lungs, but not enough to do any damage... (my opinion)

(My Father was an electrician and later an Electrical Engineer for the Weyerhaeuser Corporation.. He died of Cancer, partly attributed to PCBs in transformers and this same dielectric compound... I also spent a few years working with these same items, but my Cancer is not affiliated with PCBs nor dielectric compounds)

So a "good rule of thumb" is to protect yourselves at all times with vintage and antique items... As they most likely were painted with lead paint and the electrical and mechanical parts have the possibility of being "hazardous to one's health"...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved