Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#426788 Mon Jul 01 2013 08:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BLUE-SUN...=item1c33234b24

I don't have to ask, I know this is a repop. I don't want to raise the hackles on any of oldgas members so I will say after careful examination of this sellers listings in my humble opinion... MOST all of the signs he has listed are reproductions. They read like a page out of one of the catalogs for reproduction signs. I have not seen this seller ID before he has only a 14 feedback. The listing style is very familiar and even though I have not ever had any contact with this one I am already blocked. HMMMMM one of our old fakers back for more?

Last edited by ddkinsey; Mon Jul 01 2013 09:12 AM.
ddkinsey #426791 Mon Jul 01 2013 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
reported

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Look at the sellers others items auctions on also. A lot of new signs passed off as OLD.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
HAVE NOT SEEN ANOTHER ONE !!! DONT MISS OUT!!!! RARE RARE RARE!!!

LMAO!!! He must not have looked very hard!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This repeated reporting of fakes and my own, ahem, experience with forgeries, has diminished greatly my zeal for eBay. My last 10 purchases have been through oldgas where I know the item is as stated and highly unlikely to be a forgery. Since no man is an island, I expect eBay is having or will have some existentialist issues with this problem. Not withstanding previous posts by OGers about eBay worrying only about the money and not the substance of the problem, this I predict will be a major problem for them and I hope they are paying attention. It still has the potential to be a great way to buy items from around the world.
While we deal only in petrolania I imagine this is a problem in other sections of the vast eBay empire.
Please keep up the good work it's educational and makes for great if somewhat depressing reading(about human behavior).
Fred

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Reported

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ebay has done nothing to stop the makers of KNOWN FAKES [India/Argentina/Virginia]from being sold, WHY should we expect them to do anything w/ the small sellers that re-sell these items?
The makers/vendors are not going to start dating the items they make/sell as it will Diminish THEIR INCOME Considerably.
ebay has Passed the Buck off for too long saying they are only the hosting site & all sellers are responsible for items being offered/sold. To ebay it's all about Revenue from listings/sales.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
done..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
***** me off that he uses the term RARE in just about every repop sign he's offering! Red Hat repop is at $56....what a shame.

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Jul 01 2013 02:34 PM. Reason: Unacceptible language,
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
How do you report people on ebay?!?!

nam5072 #426883 Mon Jul 01 2013 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
click on REPORT ITEM just above auction #, select what you feel best describes why you are reporting

nam5072 #426886 Mon Jul 01 2013 02:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I know all to well the frustration of trying protect this fine hobby.
I don't know how to bring the link forward from a post on June 27th about this marking of reproduction items. There was a link to a web site called garage art and the subject was
42 inch signs being aged to order in 2 weeks. Anyway, as it happens I called their number and spoke to someone about this problem. I asked if they could put a production date on their signs. He said he had never had anyone bring it up to them. Then told me it would be easy to do and they were getting ready to do a fresh production and he will date it. Nothing was said about it adding to the cost of production. He also mentioned they are collectors of old signs also and just didn't know there is a problem. Now I don't know him and he might be blowing smoke you know where. However he seems very genuine. Maybe as collectors and sellers we can try to be more proactive. I am sure there are some of you that have a good working relationship with Vic's 66 and could talk to them about dating their stuff. It is a first step in the right direction. I don't think waiting for ebay to solve the problem is being productive. I think ebay is trying, it's a huge problem. there are knock-offs in just about every category they have. Our efforts have been rewarded by shutting many of the crooks down even closing their stores. Many of the others have had to change where and how they post. There has been backlash and retaliation on me personally but that won't stop me from doing what's right. I continue to hunt them down and report.
"The squeaky wheel gets the oil".

ddkinsey #426890 Mon Jul 01 2013 02:26 PM
Reported to ebay and sent him a lengthy message about being a fraudulent seller.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
So what do you guys select within the report pulldowns?
Fraudulent listing practices?
Suspected fraudulent listing?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I report as a : Copyright and trademark; then: Counterfeit or authenticity disclaimer; lastly: Counterfeit, fake or replica items

done....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved