Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dick Bennett #427455 Wed Jul 03 2013 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I kinda figured the knowledge GURU would have the answer!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gulfiend! #427464 Wed Jul 03 2013 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...I don't think that 'O' is put on wrong, as it has the same proportions as the 'C'...I think that's from the back of the tanker truck - maybe had a small 'Tour With' above 'TEXACO'?

Sorry to disagree, but the "O" in that configuration of letters is to be hung so that it is oval shaped running east to west and not north and south. That confirms it for me that this piece is not an original, even though the letters are original.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Dick Bennett #427539 Wed Jul 03 2013 10:15 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I really need help here, I clicked on both attachments above and nothing came up, is it this site, or is it my computer?

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #427545 Wed Jul 03 2013 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still working for me, must be something on your end Jack.

Dick Bennett #427653 Thu Jul 04 2013 01:56 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Good buy. The figure is worth more than that in condition. Sign is a freebie

Notchcad #427698 Thu Jul 04 2013 05:48 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The letter "O" looks right to me. The inner configuration is the same as the letter "C" mounted that way.

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #427845 Fri Jul 05 2013 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep, they look the same that way, but if you look in any Texaco collectibles book, you will see it is supposed to go the other way. Not look like the other letters.

Alex
Alex #427864 Fri Jul 05 2013 04:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Alex is correct about the mounting of the letter "O". Besides the "O", I don't like how the "E" looks. The lower part of "E" is longer than the top part. I haven't seen a set of Texaco letters like that before.

Here's a picture of my 8" letters. I believe 8" was the smallest size Texaco used in this style. 5" letters look like the set I have posted below the 8".

KentuckyT #427870 Fri Jul 05 2013 05:19 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Cool animated sign. Perhaps an enterprising station owner picked one of these up and added the letters? Regardless, the eclectic nature of the figure itself would draw many non-petro collectors.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
KentuckyT #427877 Fri Jul 05 2013 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: J.E.Radebaugh
Alex is correct

Now there is something I don't hear very often. I even showed it to my wife...LOL

Alex
Alex #427889 Fri Jul 05 2013 06:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm glad I could help..LOL

KentuckyT #428053 Sat Jul 06 2013 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: J.E.Radebaugh
I'm glad I could help..LOL

Yeah, but now your credibility and judgment are in question...LOL

Alex
Alex #428062 Sat Jul 06 2013 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I don't think that 'O' is put on wrong, as it has the same proportions as the 'C'...I think that's from the back of the tanker truck - maybe had a small 'Tour With' above 'TEXACO'?

Originally Posted By: Alex
Sorry to disagree, but the "O" in that configuration of letters is to be hung so that it is oval shaped running east to west and not north and south. That confirms it for me that this piece is not an original, even though the letters are original.

...OK...I'm not a Texaco expert...but I must disagree...these letters are much more condensed than the more familiar, wide letters in J. E.'s post...

...THESE letters (in THIS case) are oriented correctly - even if they are arranged vertically, instead of horizontally...please review the attached photo:

...I have taken the letters and reoriented them to read horizontally...they get a little smaller left to right - because the original photo was taken looking slightly down on the sign, they will appear smaller because of perspective...

...now - you'll notice that the holes are all on the top and bottom of each letter...

...below, enlarged, are the C and O as they originally appear, and also, with the O turned 'east-west'...

...note, that if you turn that O in that manner, the holes no longer line up, and the letter is much shorter than its counterparts...

...if that O was meant to be hung 'east-west', logic demands that the mounting holes would line up with the rest of the letters...as they do not, the most likely explanation is that the O was designed to be used 'north-south'...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Sat Jul 06 2013 11:15 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #428102 Sat Jul 06 2013 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are incorrect. If I understand what you have done, you have digitally turned that "o" then it is now distorted. I have, over the years, purchased and removed from Texaco buildings and trucks 5 sets of these Texaco letters. The position of the "O" in Jamie's pics is correct. If the letters in your pics have not become distorted, then i would start to question the legitimacy of the letters on the original sign in question. And, based on Jamie's concerns of the letter "E", it may raise that suspicion even more.

Alex
Alex #428431 Mon Jul 08 2013 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are incorrect. If I understand what you have done, you have digitally turned that "o" then it is now distorted.

...Alex...if you print out the photograph I posted, cut out the letters and line them up horizontally, and then pick up the 'O' and rotate it 90 degrees, you will have done exactly what I did - the ONLY difference being that I did it digitally, in Photoshop...NOTHING has been distorted...

The position of the "O" in Jamie's pics is correct.

...right...I never said they weren't - if you compare his letters and the ones on the figure, you might notice that they're entirely different letters!...also, you might notice that all of the mounting holes line up on them as well...

...you'll note that I only hypothesized that they were from the back of the tanker truck, as I didn't have pics of known examples in front of me, and that's what they reminded me of...

...as I stated, I'm not a Texaco expert, and don't claim to be...and while I believe I know a lot about Gulf memorabilia, I'll freely admit that I haven't seen everything...

...could be that these letters are just a rare variation that you haven't seen before...

...could be that these letters were used by Texaco, but not on a truck...

...could be that they are old letters, but have nothing to do with Texaco...

...could be that they're fake...

...I don't know, and it sounds as though no one who has posted to this point does either...

...but I do know one thing: there is simply no logical reason for the mounting holes on THESE letters to line up in any other way - and thus, no reason why they would be mounted in any other configuration...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved