Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#42745 - Tue Sep 03 2002 08:39 PM Tydol plate topper question
zul32 Offline

Hi everyone,
I have something I'd like further identification on. My father-in-law gave me a really nice specimin. It's an ornament that you attach similiar to a license plate frame, but goes above the plate.

The item is about 7 inches high, and roughly 5 inches wide. It has a picture of a man holding what looks to be an oil can with
a really long spout on it. There is only one word in large black letters (about an inch high) in the middle which reads "TYDOL".
At the bottom of it is a single bolt hole to screw on to the license plate.

He told me that these were given out at the filling stations free to customers who probably purchased gas at their tydol gas station.
I'm not sure of the year they were distributed, or what it's value is, or how common they are (or the exact story behind them).
Finally, if anyone can tell me what their value is too, that would be great.
P.S. I wasn't sure how to attach a image, so here is the link to it below: http://www.zulsplatepage.com/images/myplates/tydol.jpg

Thanks,
Wes

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#42746 - Tue Sep 03 2002 08:46 PM Re: Tydol plate topper question
Dwaine Buck Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Big Valley, CA
Hi wes , well i don't know the history of it but theres one on ebay right now or was , under tydol , or maybe veedol too ,
Tee Shirts

#42747 - Wed Sep 04 2002 11:15 AM Re: Tydol plate topper question
kmann Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: new york
commonly known as the "little engineer".. you can find these on ebay under veedol/flying A.. value is based on condition and what someone will pay.

#42748 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:33 PM Re: Tydol plate topper question
DCpate Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Norman, OK
A nice specimen is worth somewhere in the $100 range.

#42749 - Wed Sep 04 2002 11:55 PM Re: Tydol plate topper question
wfort39663 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This sign was made in two Tydol vesions, white with black highlights and yellow with black highlights. A Veedol version was made in red with white highlights. The white Tydol
version is the most common and runs from $45 to $75 in good condition. The yellow one brings about $25 more and the Veedol is probably the hardest to find and is worth about $35 more than the common one. Once again condition is very important mint examples can bring more and damaged ones much less.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved