Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427543 Wed Jul 03 2013 10:33 PM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I got this thick fiberglass Pegasus about 16 years ago at an auction dirt cheap. The back had 2 wooden hangers of some sort that had been broken off so I used some 3m bonding material to attach a few hanging tabs and it's hung good over the years. The gelcoat is done very nice in red with the white accents and is holding up well.

My question is where did it come from and what would it's age be?

securedownload3.jpg securedownload2.jpg securedownload1.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Mike,
I do not know about your particular one, but I remember those being sold at shows in the early 90's for $100 each. One vendor had a stack of about 20. Someone evidently made a mold and was turning them out...a simple task for someone who is familiar with fiberglass(boat/Corvette repair people).
I always thought that they were cool...
Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Thu Jul 04 2013 03:36 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like it's holding up much better than Boats or Corvetts's do OUTSIDE in the weather/sun.
I don't remember ever seeing any 3D originals flying Right.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You may have me there cowboy.I don't remember what direction those winged studs were headed, but there was a whole corral full at $100/each. I believe that it was either at Pheasant Run(Chicago Coin Op Show) or at Lakewood Fairgrounds(Antique & Flea Market) in Atlanta.
Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Thu Jul 04 2013 12:36 PM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
There is (was?!) an old man here in my area that made the left facing replica of the original porcelain one. He sold on Ebay for a while, but maybe he's passed away by now, I don't know. He lived in Brooklyn, MI, just down the road from the Michigan International Speedway. I bought one from him about 5 years ago and picked it up at his home. He had a mold and made them in the shop in his spare time. He also made Shells.....

In the line of the one in question, it's the first right facing fiberglass sign I've ever seen personally. It's very detailed, as far as the post-1965 Pegasus design, which was modernized and not as detailed as the original Pegasus. "IF" it were old, it would date to 1966 at the earliest.

I'm sorry but I'm no help with information on the origin of your piece. As I stated, it's the first I've seen. It would seem if it were a massed produced item, someone would be familiar with it. Is there any way to date fiberglass? I would guess it's changed some over the years, but I don't know much about it. Maybe someone that works on vintage Corvettes could possibly tell you if it's old or not. (?)
Good luck on your quest,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved