W
or this one

Red Indian Motor Oil SSP sign, 20x21 (1).jpg

Wes.......
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
What ! no comment ??? I can post more Red Indian signs that don't have WF Vilas Enamel Products or any makers name on them.. and their all 100% original...I guarantee it..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you look at the words 'MOTOR OILS' on the first one labeled as a repop, you will notice that ALL the letters are stretched and skinny, not just a problem with the 'S'.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sorry for not getting back here asap but was on a road trip, 3200 miles in 9 days of driving, visiting and a little picken, so didnt get to the computer....but then i really didn't expect to need a rebuttal on this thread....You are right Wes, all red indian signs are not marked (dont believe i said they all were) just so happened the one i had was marked so i showed a picture of it(i appologize if i misled anyone)....it is nice to see that all the rack signs you show are exactly the same in color and lettering....not one looks like Stencilworks picture....I do believe with all that background and info you have Wes you should be able to spot an India repop in a second...its the others that are not as learned as you that i was trying to show the difference.....thats all.

Last edited by minuteman; Fri Jun 28 2013 11:33 PM.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the education guys. Reading about the repops on this site almost makes me discouraged...

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Don't get too discouraged, not all of what is posted on here is 100% for sure, most of it is, but not all of it.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think everyone needs to be discouraged especially by what I am about to point out and bring to light.

Reputations are at stake, because once again money seems to be more important then integrity.

I've spent a lot of time analyzing all the above pictures in this post. Comparing the known stencilworks fake posted by the MinuteMan and all the pictures posted by Wes Hague of known originals.

The glaring flaws in stencilworks signs are as noted below.

1) There is less white in the braids in the fake sign.

2) The "R" is real sloppy in the word "MOTOR" at the bottom of the fake.

3) Small white speck below the eye and at the nose is absent on the fake.

4) The distance between the bottom of the braid to the top of the "R" in the word "MOTOR". This variance in the spacing is what effects the placement of the "S" at the diagonal meeting point between the red and black background colors.

5) There is more black and a lack of detail in the area where the upper and lower lips meet on the fake.

There are more differences but these are the most obvious and no need for more proof; to me it is clear at this point. That with these notable flaws in the fakes that I can readily spot a fake.

You may also note that when Wes was posting pictures of all the original signs he has owned, he left out this sign (the one pictured below). Why????

Also, I was turned off by the tone of Wes's posts; it made me question why he was defending fake signs or at least mudding the waters.

Anyways, this isn't an attack, but rather just the facts being laid out. I for one, am disgusted!!!

Below, I have posted a picture of a fake. This fake sign is posted on Wes Hague's website as being sold as NOS for $5200.00 by Wes Hague. By the way, another NOS sign void of grommets.

http://www.ridgewoodgasolenecollectibles.com/

NOS = New Old Stock and should never = Non Original Sign!!!

You be the judge, and form your own opinion.

Fake sold by Wes-1.jpg
Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Jul 06 2013 01:38 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Tell us what you think of this oil rack,,, what is your expert opinion on it,,

Comparing the known stencilworks fake posted by the MinuteMan and all the pictures posted by Wes Hague of known originals.

Dave on the pictures I posted before you call them known originals,, how do you know that, only I know whether or not they are originals, they are only really known by me.. maybe they are and maybe they aren't ?

While we are still on known originals, what about this RI Aviation sign,,, is it correct ( I mean original or reproduction ) ?

Dave this whole thing with signs, globes, is all muddy,, whether you want to believe it or not,, like I have said many times before, Nobody ( not even you ) has seen everything there is,, oil companies bought globes, signs from different manufactures over the years, colours changed, designs changed. Look at oil cans for example, a friend of mine in Alberta has 44 Different White Rose oil cans alone..one has the wording this way , one has something else different.. My father, brother and myself worked as private contractors for all the major Oil Companies from the late 1950's to the late 1980's, we restored and rebuilt thousands of gas pumps, the paint alone was bought locally, red was red, just RED, sometimes it was the same as the last time and sometimes if they were out of that red we bought another one, Shell yellow, same thing, or Supertest... Globe manufacturers were the same, ask any real knowledgeable globe collector,,, ( I mean knowledgeable ),,, not some collector with a few dozen either... There is more to know about signs and globes in this hobby than any of us will ever know, real serious collectors will tell you that,,I mean the guys that are so called experts,,, that doesn't include you. smile

ONE LAST THING FROM ME,, I WILL GLADLY REFUND 100% OF THE PURCHASE PRICE, INCLUDING POSTAGE OR SHIPPING TO ANYONE THAT BUYS ANYTHING FROM ME THAT ISN'T EXACTLY AS WHAT I DESCRIBED IT TO BE. Is that clear enough ? or Is that too muddy for you.. ?

Red Indian oil bottle rack - Copy.JPG RI Aviation.JPG Red Aviation 2.JPG
Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Jul 06 2013 03:49 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #427961 Sat Jul 06 2013 04:44 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Check these signs, white in braids, no white in braids, facing left and right, pointed nose , blunt nose, lots of variations here,, some skinny letters, some fatter ones on the same sign..

Here Dave, just in case your not too busy today,,, ha,ha,,, analyze these ..

5ft. Poker Frank, sold $8500.jpg 5ft. sign, single sided,$8700.jpg Aumann auction 24 inch, sold in Columbus $6500US.jpg Chris Von Klitzing.JPG
Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Jul 06 2013 04:47 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #427962 Sat Jul 06 2013 04:45 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
more

Matthews auction.jpg Red Indian 3ft. sold $5700, mine.jpg

Wes.......
Wes Hague #427970 Sat Jul 06 2013 05:46 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
This is the same identical sign with the picture taken at a different angle and light..

IMG-20130703-00318.jpg porc. sign 1.jpg
Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Jul 06 2013 05:46 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #427987 Sat Jul 06 2013 06:55 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
This is confusing to say the least.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #427999 Sat Jul 06 2013 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On another post a few months ago people were comparing two Sinclair curb signs. I stated then that just because there are differences that does not prove one is real and one is fake. Differences should be used as possible indicators to determine if a sign is right or not but just because something is different does not prove it is fake. There are many oil cans with minor changes, as there are with signs pumps and globes. Not all signs were made at the same time by the same company and with the amount of hand work that went into making some things there will be differences. Plus the mounting holes and other things can be off. Differences should be looked at as possible indicators of a fake. Experience and others knowledge can help determine what is right or not. Then again do not believe all of the opinions or statements of fact on this or any other site are 100%. Good luck with the hunt

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #428007 Sat Jul 06 2013 07:49 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Mr Maxwell

This is a little different kim pyett posted a picture of a red indian sign that was made in india and sold on ebay here on this thread then wes hague puts a sign on his website for 5200.oo that looks exactly like the sign kim just posted as fake. This all makes me sick. Kim lets hear what you think of the sign wes sold for 5200.oo ? Kim will not reply to this and say what he thinks because he does hot want to mess up future dealings with wes????

ward zaharia

ward zaharia #428129 Sat Jul 06 2013 04:24 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I GIVE UP, HONESTLY ??

Wes.......
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings