Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Does anyone have a photo or diagram that shows how the advertising (illuminated face, "PREMIUM" copy area seen in the rendering below) is shaped and/or attached to the pump? I've looked everywhere but can't find how this is supposed to be assembled.

thanks,

Wally

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Apparently you missed Pergl on the net? www.perglgaspumpglobes.com They make these glasses new with fired on lettering. In over twenty years of restoring pumps, including several of these, I've never had one with a metal sign like your picture is showing? They have always had the frosted glass. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Paul, I hadn't seen their website (great catalog section). I'm actually using a cut piece of 1/8" polycarbonate. I work for a sign company so I can have our painter backspray the top section with translucent paint (we fabricated the Texaco panels for my tokheim interceptor the same way). The glass is probably nicer but this won't cost me anything. I found that photo from a service manual and I wasn't sure if decorating the face (glass) was the way it was done.

Wally

E
E
Here are pages of a Gilbarco 1006 parts catalog. I hope this helps. It seems the ads are solid and hook on the back??.

Gilbarco 1006 (1).jpg Gilbarco 1006 (3).jpg Gilbarco 1006 (2).jpg
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for posting those pages Esso Guy, that's really cool how they originally assembled them. I really appreciate your time and effort in posting them, thanks again!

Wally

Last edited by Wallster; Thu May 23 2013 03:49 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I finished the gilbarco pump (see photos), I ended up using polycarbonate plastic for the face lenses and I applied reverse vinyl copy and backsprayed them with translucent white. Working at a sign shop has it's perks.

Wally

B
B
Hey, pump looks great. I was wondering if you could tell me how you got the glass into the rubber. I am currently restoring one just like it. My glass came out of the pump and had what I believe to be original molding. It is the R105 rubber. My biggest problem seems to be that the glass is slightly too big and has square corners, however the opening has round corners which also gives the molding round corners when placed around the opening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
You need to carefully cut out the back corners of the rubber trim in order for the square window glass to slip by. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The original pumps had plastic advertising panels, there were two slots at the top of the plastic for "C" clips and they clipped onto the rubber moulding then there was a tiny hole at each end on the bottom for a wire and it fit fit onto the metal frame.. I restored hundreds of these pumps in the 50's-60's for Imperial Oil Co.

Esso 1006 pump (Harvey Hunt).jpg Esso Marine 1006 copy.jpg2.jpg Gilbarco 1006 Supertest pump.JPG Supertest 1006 dual pump copy.jpg  res.100.jpg
Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Jul 08 2013 11:58 AM.

Wes.......
B
B
Ok thanks, I tried slitting the inside corners but didn't actuall cut a notch out for the corners. I will try this tommorow.

AlF Offline
Hello Wes,

I just picked up a Gilbarco 1006 D 18, and been just looking at it. Everything seems to be there except the internal light(s). There is a plug which looks like the type a florescent light would use but no sign of a light ever being there. Any clue as to what may have been there, if anything?

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Some Gilbarco 1000 series pumps used a circular flourescent tube which plugged in and simply laid in a couple of clips for support. Grainger carries these along with 10,000 bulbs.com. The sign was actually fired onto the panoramic face glass at the top, thereby hiding the light bulb from showing. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

AlF Offline
Thanks gasmansgp, for some reason I didn't get notified about your reply.

I'm familiar with those kind of tubes in clocks and ceiling lights. My pump has no clips for them, but I guess I could add some. There is no evidence of any light ever being there. I'll take a look at your site.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved